What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

@JR500 interesting to hear about your observations of Yodobashi camera, I hadn't paid too much attention to them when I was in Japan, as I thought they were a bit expensive but after seeing your observations and checking their website, some of the prices are particularly cheap! Shame they don't ship to outside of the U.S.

I found the Umeda store pretty huge when I was there a few months back and will make a point to go there again on my next trip and spend a bit of time hunting around inside properly.

The points accrued look like they add up pretty quick if you spent a few dollars there too. Wonder if you can obtain a points card while you're there...

Yap Yodobashi came as a delightful surprise actually. I was thinking of finding TAM TAM but I just couldn't locate them, and Hobby Land Pochi and Popondetta are both quite disappointing when it comes to brand new stuff, they are better at USED trains sections. Glad I walked into Yodobashi Umeda!

The hobbyland pochi near Osaka/Umeda station was very small. It took a lot of hunting but there wasn't a lot of N gauge gear in the store, Yodobashi would have been much better for the range. Popondetta near Namba station in Den den town Osaka was much larger and had a much bigger range accordingly. I'll try not to sidetrack the thread as there's already one with the hobby shops in Osaka!

Yodobashi is just north of Osaka station right?  I'll have to put it on the list to visit, and other Yodobashis.  I walked past the Shinjuku, Kyoto and Hakata stores without entering last visit.  I wasn't pleased with the range at Popondetta store either.

Over the past few weeks I received the package from loco1hobby with the remaining stuff (Keihan Tetsudou Musume and TM-20) and my first package from modeltrainplus including the Keihan 800 in express livery sourced from Yahoo Auctions, a random KiHa from the Railway Collection 17 and a Unitrack feeder track. I haven't been at home lately, but today I was finally back again so I was able to open them. Here's a pic of everything together:

post-638-0-84843900-1430004751_thumb.jpg

The KiHa turned out to be a Shimabara Tetsudou 2500 type. Not really my thing. I was hoping for all but the plasticy yellow ones and it turned out to be a yellow one. -_- Nice is that they included diaphragms parts.

post-638-0-74769700-1430004758_thumb.jpg

Keihan 800 express livery:

post-638-0-97899700-1430004767_thumb.jpg

choco.miruku

@JR500  Yodobashi Camera seems to carry more model trains, compared to the other shops in the area. The one in Akibahara is big as well when I went there during my last trip.

Finally got the Tomix DU 202 which i've always wanted but couldn't bear paying the high price for online and subsequent shipping... It was a great deal at Yodobashi Umeda, something like almost 40% off the RSP! Only downside is having to lug it around with me. It is kinda heavy...

Congrats on getting that DU 202.  They pop up on Yahoo JP auctions from time to time, but the deal you got--40% off without having to pay for shipping--is very good.  Please let us know how you like it once you have a chance to try it out.  

Anyway, I received a non-running 92726 Tomix E3 1000 yesterday that I bought for cheap on Yahoo JP. Turns out that the problems were: carpet fibers in all the trucks, hardened/insufficient lubricant, and corroded copper springs/wipers.  After soaking the copper bits in CLR and cleaning/re-lubing the power bogies, I reassembled everything and the train runs OK.  

Still, it was a lot of effort; perhaps I should have just pre-ordered the upcoming Tomix E3 2000 instead!  

post-2369-0-13023700-1430025747_thumb.jpg

A few items arrived here yesterday :-

SOTETSU ED10 B Train Shorty

TOMYTEC BM-02

Badge for participants of the Nozumi 500 test ride event in 1997.

Badge for participants of the Handsome Train Yamabiko Tohoku Shinkansen opening 1982.

Very happy to find the ED10 B Train set :)

post-766-0-07278000-1430031442_thumb.jpg

Got a few items in the mail a few days ago.

Kato M1 Set (Power pack broke so i need a new one)

Kato JNR EF56 Electric Locotomotive

Tomix Nagano Electric Railway 'Snow Monkey' 2100 Series (Ex JR 253 NEX)

Tomix Banetsu Monogatari set. Includes C57 Steam locomotive + 7 passenger cars.

AkShAvj.jpg

YMKylRC.jpg

YYgqSDi.jpg

e5iAwan.jpg

LueSiRL.jpg

tePSo3a.jpg

Edited by Toyuko
  • Like 1

Kato D51 498 + Series 12 6 car set.

I just received 2x KATO D51 498 and 1 Series 12 6 car set :P

Edited by linkey

Why the 2x D51 498's is so one can haul the Ban ètsu Monogatari instead of the C57 but was also hoping to find the proper D51 498 to haul the Orient Express '88 set.

JR 500系

Envy you Erick! I gotta wait for more than 1 month before my Tomix E3-2000 comes along...

Irish Padre

My fantastic wife asked "would you like to spend my Nectar (a UK loyalty card) points buying a train from eBay?" A few clicks later and this is on the way......post-2585-0-50676000-1430847321_thumb.jpg

Edited by Irish Padre
  • Like 1
Davo Dentetsu

My fantastic wife asked "would you like to spend my Nectar (a UK loyalty card) points buying a train from eBay?" A few clicks later and this is on the way......attachicon.gifimage.jpg

You two should definitely get marri... oh.

• Like 2

saburo4362-img600x450-1429765056tikepr22

This is what I just received last week.. :) Very happy to have this 300系although this is the oldest version and the price is less than the latter 300 0系or the last run version, but still it really impressed me so much as my first 300 set on my list. :) thanks to David of loco1 who had been a big help...

All worked fine, lights are okay and motor runs well although a bit noisy... Hope next time I can get the other variants of 300 set :)

• Like 1
JR 500系

My fantastic wife asked "would you like to spend my Nectar (a UK loyalty card) points buying a train from eBay?" A few clicks later and this is on the way......attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Ow.. this doesn't happen to me ever.... So now you can spend the money you saved from initially buying that EF66 to buy her a nice present ~  :)

That's a good catch Robert! I used to have that set but I sold it away, kinda little regret it now since it's a set that is not too long nor too short, perfect 7 ~  Downside is no power coupler though...

• Like 1

That's a good catch Robert! I used to have that set but I sold it away, kinda little regret it now since it's a set that is not too long nor too short, perfect 7 ~  Downside is no power coupler though...

Thanks Mr. 500 Nozomi.. :)

Yes it is. That's indeed what came to my mind.. 7 car set is a perfect formation.. 16 is too long, but it's a must have too.. For me it doesn't really matter whether it has power coupler or not since I am a big fan of 300 series.. of course will be great if I can have some sets with both couplers - powered and not :) hope next time I can get another ones... :D

Btw, the 500系is also my favorite and it's also Tomix, don't know why my favorite models came from Tomix except the E6系 I preferred from Kato..

Wish that 300系& 500系could run forever because they are so pretty and unique.. but it is only possible to happen in our N scale track only...

Edited by Robert46
Drunkenclam

I had some holiday money left over, so I ordered this little lot though ebay, Did get stung with a £70 customs and vat bill. Just need to add all the led lights and paint the fixtures before putting in place. Looks like I have a six car max in my station for now.

post-3115-0-52538100-1431178728_thumb.jpg

post-3115-0-77394900-1431178704_thumb.jpg

Oh my wife keeps spending our nectar points on fuel for her car.  :P

Drunkenclam

That is some VAT & clearance bill to get hit with. You may have saved yourself a fair bit of cash by splitting the order up  in to smaller packages and getting them sent using SAL.

SAL packages come in to the UK via Heathrow instead of Coventry and go through customs without attracting VAT charges or the clearance fees of Parcel Force.

I choose this method for most of my orders now and have saved a small fortune in charges. Of course the disadvantage of SAL is that it is not tracked and slower but to date I have not had anything go missing

Dave

Drunkenclam

Thanks for that Dave, unfortunately its what Plaza Japan sent it. £50 for vat and the other £20 on parcelforce handling fees. Fun thing is over the past two weeks I've had 5 packages turn up from Japan, 1 (this one) EMS, 3 by SAL and a big heavy one by sea. I got hit on one of the SAL ones as well. I'm about to have another big one sent by SEA, I just hope it's under the 30kg weight limit or else it's a FedEx job. But that's not train related :D