Jump to content

new NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal


miyakoji

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, ijontichy said:

I have to sheepishly admit that Cathy the Cat is a decent presenter.

lol, yes me too, decent, but still needs to calm it down a bit more, her voice can get a tad too enthusiastic about things like seat backs! Seems to be channeling her energy out her hands a lot, sort of like watching a cheerleader at times.

 

wonder how much crap will end up between the seat backs and clamshells.

 

First time I’ve seen the n700s right up on the nose like that, really does look like the burton bat mobile.

 

jeff

  • Like 1
Link to post
Tony Galiani

I am just impressed that there are that many trains to select from.  Is there anywhere else with quite such a railway scene?

 

I might have gone for the Saphir Odoriko but that may be down to personal taste.  I did enjoy the discussion about the designing of the Hinotori.  And who would have guessed that Cathy Cat would turn out to be a good presenter?

 

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

  • Like 3
Link to post
HankyuDentetsu
On 7/20/2021 at 11:07 PM, Tony Galiani said:

I am just impressed that there are that many trains to select from.  Is there anywhere else with quite such a railway scene?

There is surely no other country that can offer up 16 new trains in one year for such an award. It's absolutely remarkable. I don't think there's been a single new train released in the UK over the last 12 months, which puts things in perspective.

Link to post
Tony Galiani

Just out of curiosity, I checked out Cathy Cat's YouTube channel.  There her persona is quite different from her persona on Japan Railway Journal.  I guess she has decided to work in two different worlds - breathless, excited, exaggerated YouTube presenter and more serious Railway Journal presenter.  I guess that is one way to maximize career options.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

  • Like 2
Link to post
HankyuDentetsu

Latest episode covering the Odakyu Romance Car was pretty good. Lol'd at Ryo's monitor presence, too.

 

The diorama and interactive exhibits they've got at the museum do look great to be fair - I really want to check it out now.

Link to post
On 7/26/2021 at 11:56 PM, Tony Galiani said:

Just out of curiosity, I checked out Cathy Cat's YouTube channel.  There her persona is quite different from her persona on Japan Railway Journal.  I guess she has decided to work in two different worlds - breathless, excited, exaggerated YouTube presenter and more serious Railway Journal presenter.  I guess that is one way to maximize career options.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

I find the “non-Japanese” presenters and actors who feature on Japanese television have to fit a sort of larger than life, caricature of people from other countries. The reality is, she probably wouldn’t have been noticed as a reporter for her in-depth reporting style, but more because she dresses a bit crazy and likes cosplay. The problem is that these people, although lucky to find this level of work, also reinforce the pre-existing stereotypes that exist. 

 

I also think there is a large amount of disposable television talent (both Japanese and non) who are dancing cash monkeys for their respective large corporation agencies. So I guess if you want to be in that industry, you have to have swallowed a huge amount of your self respect and pride first and just think about the current cash flow before your inevitable career demise.  

 

NHK is a bit more respectful as a company to work for but as it is publicly funded, NHK probably has the least amount of money to make programs so you tend to get university professors who are extremely knowledgeable but lack screen charisma, like Ryo Takagi.

 

IMO, if you didn’t already have an interest in Japanese railways, I’m not sure watching this would help you become more enthused.

 

As someone who has zero interest in cosplay, maid or cat cafes, most anime, Japanese RPGs etc.. having a presenter called Cathy Cat who then happily shows off some of her cosplay photos standing next to a level crossing making a cat pout, makes me want to switch off.

 

Link to post

I'm always impressed by how much effort goes into the design of Japanese products. They really think about how things will be used and how to make the experience better.

Link to post
Tony Galiani

Finally got to see the Romance Car show which I enjoyed.  Very impressive diorama - maybe I can check it out when I get back to Japan - and the train driving set up looks like fun.  Looking forward to the next show which will be available on September 2nd, according to the countdown clock on the NHK web page.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

Link to post
Kansen Tsushin
On 8/23/2021 at 3:15 AM, Kamome said:

I find the “non-Japanese” presenters and actors who feature on Japanese television have to fit a sort of larger than life, caricature of people from other countries. The reality is, she probably wouldn’t have been noticed as a reporter for her in-depth reporting style, but more because she dresses a bit crazy and likes cosplay. The problem is that these people, although lucky to find this level of work, also reinforce the pre-existing stereotypes that exist. 

 

I also think there is a large amount of disposable television talent (both Japanese and non) who are dancing cash monkeys for their respective large corporation agencies. So I guess if you want to be in that industry, you have to have swallowed a huge amount of your self respect and pride first and just think about the current cash flow before your inevitable career demise.  

 

NHK is a bit more respectful as a company to work for but as it is publicly funded, NHK probably has the least amount of money to make programs so you tend to get university professors who are extremely knowledgeable but lack screen charisma, like Ryo Takagi.

 

IMO, if you didn’t already have an interest in Japanese railways, I’m not sure watching this would help you become more enthused.

 

As someone who has zero interest in cosplay, maid or cat cafes, most anime, Japanese RPGs etc.. having a presenter called Cathy Cat who then happily shows off some of her cosplay photos standing next to a level crossing making a cat pout, makes me want to switch off.

 


I very much doubt Cathy Cat was chosen for her larger than life character. It appears she was working for NHK previously on a news program called Newsroom Tokyo.

 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJwy_iqUIAAr05Q.jpg

Anyways, I suspect people would watch a train-based show for the trains, not for the talent.

  • Like 1
Link to post
bobbodaclown

New Episode!

Shinano Railway: Investing in New Trains

September 17, 2021

 

In Nagano Prefecture, third-sector Shinano Railway came up with a unique strategy to replace their old trains. Investing half of received funds, they gave the remaining half back to their supporters, offering rides on their tourist train, etc. By May 2021, the company reached its 30-million-yen target. See how Shinano Railway utilized this one-of-a-kind strategy to purchase new trains.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 9/12/2021 at 11:18 PM, bobbodaclown said:

New Episode!

Shinano Railway: Investing in New Trains

September 17, 2021

 

In Nagano Prefecture, third-sector Shinano Railway came up with a unique strategy to replace their old trains. Investing half of received funds, they gave the remaining half back to their supporters, offering rides on their tourist train, etc. By May 2021, the company reached its 30-million-yen target. See how Shinano Railway utilized this one-of-a-kind strategy to purchase new trains.

 

 

It's actually on the 16th September for those not in Australia time.

Link to post
7 hours ago, Kansen Tsushin said:

 

It's actually on the 16th September for those not in Australia time.

You mean Japan time...

 

Since the show is broadcast up to 1930 utc? Or 7.30pm gmt for the older players. That is 19.5 hours into a calender day. So it covers more than two thirds of the globe.

 

So maybe the 16th of those in the America's.

Edited by katoftw
Link to post
17 hours ago, katoftw said:

You mean Japan time...

 

Since the show is broadcast up to 1930 utc? Or 7.30pm gmt for the older players. That is 19.5 hours into a calender day. So it covers more than two thirds of the globe.

 

So maybe the 16th of those in the America's.


It's started now.

For your information, these are the times:

PST - 7:30 AM & 1:30 PM
EST - 10:30 AM & 4:30 PM
BST - 15:30 PM & 21:30 PM
CEST - 16:30 PM & 22:30 PM
JST - 23:30 PM & 5:30 AM (Next day)

AST - 00:30 AM (Next day)

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...