Gerry's Japanese Layout

gerryo

Sorry Inobu.  I guess I should read my thread more often.  I have already cut 3 inches from half the legs on my layout. So now working height is operating height.

I think it is going to be better for me as my shoulders get very sore and tired quickly, if I work too high.  I'm no good now as a paper hanger or ceiling painter. 

Part of my problem with trying to use the Kato Unitram system was the lack of available parts and supplies.  But I have now noticed that most of the Tomix Tram Kits and the Tomitech Moving Bus system is in very short supply and has been for a long time.  So it may be best to not plan on using them either. 

Don't know what to do now, in my plan.

gerry

Not Available?  Tomix just released new sets for wide tram.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=104&cat=&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=tomix+wide+tram

Only 3 of 16 items unavailable.  Hardly a unavailability issue.

There may recently have been an issue due to Tomix changing the quantities in packs and changing the packaging.  Originally all wide tram straights came as 2 packs.  Which is stupid.  They now come as 4 packs.  Much better.

Edited by katoftw

Based on my regular but unscientific perambulations through Tokyo's model railway shops, Tomix track availability seems to go in cycles. Double slips were rare as hens teeth for a long while, but are now back in stock, and electric points were also getting quite rare for a while. Recently various "normal" track seems to be gradually going out of stock, but no doubt it will reappear soon.

I remember you look for the Tomix electric points when they became out of stock.  They were back 1.5 months later.  All stuff doesn't stay out of stock for long for both Tomix and Kato, but Tomix are quicker to replenish that Kato.

Edited by katoftw

I have received my first bit of Tomix Wide Tram Track along with my first Modemo NT149 Tram.  Very pleased with them both.

Got notice from HS to order my beginner set of Moving Bus System.  This should arrive within a month so will see if they are what I want on the layout.

All the legs have been shortened to 42 inches on the layout and this seems to be the best height for me.  It will still be difficult to duck under but I guess you can't have everything at my age.  I should have started this layout 20 years ago.

gerry

This is what I think my final layout will look like.

Overhead Station on the top side with 2 loop tracks capable of handling Shinkansens.

Single track loop to handle other commuter trains and the odd freight.

Double track Tomix tramline to run from the vicinity of the Overhead station to the Suburban station.

Single or double Moving Bus Road from one DioTown area to the other.

I can't get my photo album to work.  I'll try to get it fixed and try again.

I am having trouble again with posting pictures.

Is there anyone here who can give me some help.

gerry

Edited by gerryo

I have no idea how to use the photo album.  I want my photos in my posts only.

So Here goes.  I will try again.

So, it did not work again.

I got the message that  "No file was selected for upload." 

However, this message appears under the name of my file which I am trying to copy, and has been on the screen throughout its efforts to upload.

My file name is   "New Layout Plan.ufo"    The size of this file is 8.94mb.

I still can't see what the problem is.

gerry

Could you tell us the name and version of your internet browser and the exact steps you take?

ps: Maybe .ufo is not a supported format. Could you try jpeg, jpg or png?

Edited by kvp

I printed my CadRail program file.  I then scanned this back into my photo file, which is Corel Photo Impact X3.

This is where the .ufo comes in.

I have never seen this designation before.  Pics have always been designated .jpg.

I then moved this picture to my documents file.

Maybe I should tell you that I am now using Windows 10.  And that this is the first time that I've tried to post a pic from it.

gerry

Edited by gerryo

If you try to open the picture for editing from your documents and try 'save as' a .jpeg (or a file type of Joint Photographic Experts Group), then it should work. (some systems call it .jpg, but it's the same) The new picture should be next to the .ufo file, with the same name, just different (more internet friendly) extension and maybe slightly smaller size. You can try choosing this file and then attaching it with the Attach This File button.

ps: If you don't have a space in the name of the picture, that can help avoiding problems too. (i usually use an '_' or a '-' instead) Also if it doesn't work, try to look for a tiny text error somewhere on the resulting page telling the exact problem as the forum might try to show the problem somewhere.

I have tried going into the photo file and changing the file type to jpg, but it won't let me.

I'll try your suggestions and see what happens.

gerry

Well, it seems to have worked this time, as a .jpg.  You were right katoftw, thanks.

post-2768-0-48962500-1447469605_thumb.jpg

Edited by gerryo

So how do I get it turned 90 degrees?

Yes.  One of the beginner sets has a loop at each end.  The set number is BRT-A

Yes, the Suburban Station is at ground level 

post-2768-0-72675500-1447470441_thumb.jpg

Edited by gerryo

So how do I get it turned 90 degrees?

Right click on the icon of the image and select rotate left. Or open it in the Win10 photos app and select rotate from the tool bar.

I'm thinking that myself, katoftw.  What looks good on paper doesn't always turn out that way .

I have managed to turn the pic in my photo album but it keeps coming up 90 degrees out on here.

I worry about adding more useless posts and not being able to erase them, Tossedman.

gerry

Edited by gerryo

You can edit the post, add the new, rotated picture by directly uploading it from your computer, then delete the previous one and finally post the edited message. (the images added to a post are copied into it, so they can only be edited by editing the post and uploading the new image and removing the old)