New EMU's for the Osaka Loop Line

Sacto1985

I'm actually surprised that JR West didn't assign the 321 to the Osaka Loop Line about a decade ago, considering the 103's and 201's were already aging even back then.

Glad to hear those old trains are off the Osaka Loop Line!

I'm curious how reliable are they?

How do they maintain it so well?

I went on a 381 series last year between Wakayama and Osaka the train operate very smooth, however it does require some refurbishment, I guess they are using it till it dead! 

Does the 381 series have tilt? Cause it feel a bit like the Virgin Class 390 (UK) and not like the N700. 

post-1803-0-51043400-1466186152_thumb.jpg

post-1803-0-01222500-1466186163_thumb.jpg

bikkuri bahn

I'm curious how reliable are they?

How do they maintain it so well?

Good enough to last several decades in daily use, thanks to a solid design and outstanding maintenance and refurbishment programs.

Does the 381 series have tilt? Cause it feel a bit like the Virgin Class 390 (UK) and not like the N700.

Yes, it has 5 degrees maximum tilt- one reason why they once kept "etiquette bags" in seatpockets for nauseous passengers.  The N700 has a milder 1 degree max. tilt, nonetheless it allows 270km/h speed through curves that restrict non-tilting stock to 255km/h.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

If you've seen Episode 17 of Japan Railway Journal, a reason why upcoming E353 Series uses an air suspension for its tilting system is that the change from non-tilt to tilt mode and back happens a LOT faster, which means passengers are a lot less likely to suffer motion sickness.

But getting back on topic, I wonder when will JR West officially unveil the 323 Series trainset--let alone start testing on the Osaka Loop Line.

Looks like there are two more vids on YT.  Nothing terribly exciting but it's a clearer view of two intermediate cars.  The one on the left is a women-only car.

In the second one at :02, it looks like that Smart BEST train that JR Shikoku tested for a while.

Nice colours ~ At least it is looking a little more 'happier' than his brothers, the 225 and 227 series, with that big red grin in the front~  :P

I'd like to know when will they send this prototype trainset to start test running on the Osaka Loop Line itself....

So apparently on Saturday 3 December this year the new 323 series EMUs will start running on the Osaka Loop Line. I'm only not sure whether all 103s and 201s will be replaced at once or whether it will happen gradually. I hope for the first, because I'm not sure if I will have the chance to get to Osaka before that date. I might be able to though.

If it's anything like the Yamanote Line (or any other line where I've witnessed a change of rolling stock generation) the introduction will be gradual - I suspect too much operational risk to completely replace everything at once, moreover you'd need extra storage space to keep all the new vehicles as they arrive from the factory and to store the old ones until they can be removed for scrap or sale.

Hrm... this other and more trustworthy news article is stating something completely different then my other source, that on 3 December there will only be one 323 series composition being opened for public at a maintenance facility.

It also says that 158 cars will be built for 28 8-car compositions, so that doesn't sound like the 101 and 201 will be replaced at once. At any rate, looks like the 323 series won't be running until sometime next year, so there's still plenty of time to enjoy the old JNR EMUs.

Yup, according to that link the new unit will be presented to the public on Dec. 3rd, and begin operations during the 2016 fiscal year (i.e. before April 2017). Total of 21 8-car units (168 cars) will be introduced over 3 years.