New EMU's for the Osaka Loop Line

Sacto1985

JR West has finally officially unveiled the long-awaited replacement for the seriously aging 103 and 201 Series EMU's on the Osaka Loop Line: the 323 Series EMU.

TwPT7B8.jpg

Based likely on the 225 Series EMU now used on longer-distance commuter trains in the Keihanshin region and the new 227 Series EMU being introduced in the Hiroshima region, the 323 Series EMU notably has three doors per side of each car instead of the four doors per side found on the 103 and 201 EMU's. 

Here is a picture of the interior of the 323:

tOsNBwA.jpg

JR West has also released a video showing various scenes around the Osaka Loop Line with a short preview of the 323 Series EMU at the end:

• Like 2
trainsforever8

It's a very nice looking train in my opinion! I'm glad they didn't put those plates on the front of the trains like the ones they put in service in Hiroshima, I didn't really like them, I believe they wont be necessary since installation of platform doors is planned (if I'm not mistaken). And is it me, or does the floor have a carpet?

225 series front with 321 sides.  Although most of JRWs trains share the same DNA.  Hence the familiarities.

Even without platform doors.  As long as the sets are long enough, then the usage of the plates isn't required and you are not coupling 2 sets together.

Also agreed that it is a smart looking train set.  Nice colours.

Edited by katoftw

Good find, Sacto.  According to the very new English wikipedia page, only 21 sets will be built, replacing 23 103- and 201-series trains.  I thought the fleet would be larger than that.

By the way, each trainset won't be short--they will be eight cars long. I might expect few of the new 323 trainsets to be dedicated to the service from Osaka Station to Sakurajima Station on the Yumesaki Line that serves Universal Studios Japan.

They could've at least modeled it roll in to Osaka Station with the pantograph up :)

Also, @0:35 seconds, there is a building based on a 103/201 series!

On maps: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@34.6726639,135.5330056,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m5!1e2!3m3!1s-l5eMdXi_t9s%2FU0RlPGRq8DI%2FAAAAAAABON4%2Fa4ncma9ewmo!2e4!3e15

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@34.672549,135.5330368,3a,75y,231.46h,95.3t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sFciiyKp5gYFM06s3mOuquQ!2e0

Edited by stevenh
  • Like 1

, there is a building based on a 103/201 series!

Vierra Tamatsukuri, it houses a fitness club, a 100 yen shop, a ramen shop, and a preschool. Opened this spring.

Vierra Tamatsukuri, it houses a fitness club, a 100 yen shop, a ramen shop, and a preschool. Opened this spring.

Thanks for the heads-up Bikkuri, I've been reading that Tamazukuri for about 11 years. :)  :(

So there will be 21 323 series trains replacing 23 103 and 201 series? Does that mean there will be less trains on the Osaka Loop Line?

If the line requires 20 sets, this would only mean they only get one spare, instead of 3.

Edited by kvp

A good number of trains running on the Loop Line are trains coming off the Kansai Main Line as well as the Hanwa Line, so there is less need of dedicated trains than say, a closed loop system with no run throughs like the Yamanote Line.

By the way, there may be more 323's built (or more 321's reassigned) once the longer Osaka Higashi Line opens in 2020.

I'm actually surprised they didn't just restart 321 Series production for the Loop Line trains--maybe just build a new version with three doors per car to accommodate the platform doors being installed at all Loop Line stations.

• Like 1

Nice looking train, and finally a replacement for the very aging 103 and 201. I think the only 103 and 201 services currently still in service is only used on the Osaka Loop line? They seriously need to replace soon.... 

But, the colour is weird for being a JR West train... The colours look kinda like the patent Orange stripes that JR Central uses on their sets like the 313 and the 383..

But, the colour is weird for being a JR West train... The colours look kinda like the patent Orange stripes that JR Central uses on their sets like the 313 and the 383..

Yeah, orange is always a worry :).  I think the brown stripe, and lack of white cabs, prevent this looking too much like a 313 or KIHA25.

My thoughts are this: get your pics of the current trains while you can, and in general before the installation of platform doors, which are typically disastrous for photography, especially on an urban line like this which doesn't have lineside locations at grade.  At least even after the new and improved comes in, you can enjoy watching and studying the operations/timetables of this line, which is what my railfanning sans camera is becoming more and more with the "stainlessization" of rolling stock rosters.

Personally, I'm actually surprised that JR West ran the 103 and 201 Series EMU on the Osaka Loop Line for such a long time. Even the vast majority of Hanshin, Hankyu and Keihan rolling stock are newer than these ancient EMU's. You'd think once the 321 Series EMU was introduced they would displace all the 103/201 EMU's by now.

One thing that jumped out at me in the interior shot was the change to the garish looking yellow hand rails that Queensland Rail seems to think necessary so people will see them, though they don't look too bad with the green (kind of like Aussie green and gold colours).

I'm guessing that JR-W got tired of folks in Tokyo laughing at them over the older stock. IO can see something along the lines of a Tokyoite complaining to  a station manager about how horrible riding in a 201 was or that "they" had replaced their 103's on the Yamanote nearly three times before Osaka could have scrapped theirs. It never fails me while in Osaka how often I have heard Tokyoites complain about the Loop Line, nor has it ever failed me in Tokyo to hear Tokyoites to talk about Osaka like it was Wheeling West Virgina. (I prefer Konsai to Kanto, so this always struck a chord with me)

By comparing the Yamanote Line with the Osaka Loop Line (and finding the latter wanting) Tokyo people are making a fundamental error, as these two lines respectively provide different functions.  While the Yamanote Line serves as a frequent circulator linking the inner portions of Tokyo, the Osaka Loop, in addition to serving as the end portion of through services, is not used as much for longer trips around the periphery- most the traffic is on the eastern end especially around Kyobashi and Tsuruhashi*, while the western end (the unglamorous, industrial end of Osaka) is less used.  Actually, the most critical and busy artery in central Osaka is the Midosuji Subway Line, as it links most of the hot spots in the central portion of the inner city.

*as witnessed by layover tracks at both Tennoji and Osaka (Umeda) configured for services running on the eastern half of the route.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

It looks awfully familiar to the 225 series and 227 series....  Why not replace the 321 series with this (seeing it as a newer train and all) and using the older 321 series for the Osaka loop line?  

Das Steinkopf

It looks awfully familiar to the 225 series and 227 series....  Why not replace the 321 series with this (seeing it as a newer train and all) and using the older 321 series for the Osaka loop line?

I think that would make sense considering the Osaka Loop Line as well as a lot of the other cities suburban systems tend to use a lot of hand me down stock.

JR West is promoting an image change of the Loop Line (a "remodeling"), and this new stock is the main part of that:

http://www.my-fav.jp/campaign/35/

Hand me downs would not cut it.

AAhhh ok that would make perfect sense~ I like the adverts that goes with it.... they are like promoting 323 so much ~

Hhmmm... the N scale 103s in the series looks nice too!  :)  Will we also get a 323? There also seems to be a 'ladies only' car perhaps, in the 4th carriage, since it is the only carriage with the spaces between the doors and windows painted pink...