It's never too early to plan!

JR 500系

NuclearErick

i'm not sure if i will be in japan 16th april but in any case i will meet you at Nagoya Station :D

packing my stuff going back to Brazil in the next month

Well planned, you should be a travel agent.

Re the arrival/departure tracks at Shin-Kobe on the first day, there are only two platforms, one for each direction, so you will arrive and depart from the same platform.  It is a handy place to change if the connection is tight.

Thanks for the compliment West!

I tried to make it look LESS train orientated but still preserving some rides which I will LOVE to take. Luckily the wife is quite into riding a train and looking at scenery from the train window so that is still quite interesting for her.

Thanks for the tip on Shin Kobe station! That will ease the heart a little knowing connections are easy. One major worry is running around the stations looking for the correct platform and missing that planned train departure...

i'm not sure if i will be in japan 16th april but in any case i will meet you at Nagoya Station :D

packing my stuff going back to Brazil in the next month

Would be nice to meet you Erick! You're staying near Nagoya station? Cool! That means you could almost visit the JR Central Museum every day!  :)

Day 7 - @ Kyoto you have given yourself 7 minutes to walk the whole length of the station, find 2+ lockers and board a train on plateform 33.  Not gonna happen.

Day 4 - 700jpy monorail+enoden pass.

I agree with katoftw about Kyoto. Next train to Arashiyama is 20 minutes later. Plan for that one!

Please also note that JR Saga-Arashiyama and Torokko-Saga are adjacent stations. Walking time from entrance to entrance less than 1/2 minute.

I agree with katoftw about Kyoto. Next train to Arashiyama is 20 minutes later. Plan for that one!

Please also note that JR Saga-Arashiyama and Torokko-Saga are adjacent stations. Walking time from entrance to entrance less than 1/2 minute.

I've never seen a human walk 1.4km in less than 30 seconds.

Edited by katoftw

Day 7 - @ Kyoto you have given yourself 7 minutes to walk the whole length of the station, find 2+ lockers and board a train on plateform 33.  Not gonna happen.

Day 4 - 700jpy monorail+enoden pass.

Thanks for the headsup! Actually I just placed a timing there, but luckily it's a local so I can easily catch the next one.

Thanks for the 700 yen tip! Do I buy the combination tickets from Enoden Kamakura station?

Thanks! I planned a long time there at Torroko-Saga station as there is a super Kyoto Diorama inside that I'll really like to see. Let see if I get this correct: 

1) JR trains bring you to Saga-Arashiyama

2) Walk to Torokko-Saga station through the Bamboo forest?

3) Enjoy Diorama in Torokko-Saga station

4) Take the Sagano Trolley at Torokko-Saga station to Kameoka-Torokko station

5) Walk to and JR Umahori station. 10 mins 

6) Transfer to JR trains back to Osaka

For Enoshima-Kamakura Pass:- http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/kamakura_enoshima.html

Are you planning on Walking around Enoshima Island?  If so, maybe start your day earlier.  And due to the physical effects all those steps do to you.  Maybe plan for the Yokohama part of you day to go into another day.

We left Shinjuku at 8:30am and struggled to get back to Shinjuku by 5pm.

Edited by katoftw

Hi guys!
You are mixing up the stations.
Torokko Saga is adjacent to JR Saga-Arashiyama.
Torokko Arashiyama is 1.0 km up the line, probably 1.4 km walking distance.

Map from www.japan-guide.com:

3912_map_arashiyama_02.gif

Edited by Kitayama
  • Like 2

I see... Thanks kitayama san!

Can I know where the bamboo forest where you can walk through it is? It is in-between Torroko-Saga and Randen-Saga station? The Kyoto Diorama is in Torokko-Saga station, right?

* Edit - Just found the answer to my question ~

Sagano%20Torokko_zpsewpa8nwk.jpg

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

Hello Mr JR500,

To answer your question above, please enjoy Tenryuji Temple before the bamboo gardens.  The pond at Tenryuji has the most remarkable carp.  The largest I've ever seen.  The gardens are spectacular.  When you reach the back of the temple gardens, exit through the gate into the bamboo gardens.  Walk to the intersection and turn right.  Continue through the bamboo forest and you will exit beside Tenruji Temple.  Also, above Arashiyama station is a restaurant that serves Japanese cuisine at reasonable prices.  Finally, the walk to JR Saga Arashiyama station will take around 15 minutes.  It is long after spending a day exploring temples and the bamboo forest, but the train will get you back to Kyoto in around 10 minutes.

Yes, the diorama is in Torokko Saga Station. So the right order is:

1) arrive at JR Saga-Arashiyama

2) visit the Diorama at Torokko Saga

3) walk through the bamboo forest

4) take the Sagano Scenic train from Torokko Arashiyama

As we get nearer to the dream date, I tried to stream line even further my travel plan so that I may get to ride the most trains possible feasibly...

I stumbled across an alternative route to get from Shimbashi (Tsukuji market) to Tomita (Asahigawa Flower Park)

20150330_190745_zpsjefghs6i.jpg

Limited Express Spacia Kinugawa? I tried so hard to find more information here: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/routemaps/nikko_kinugawa.html

Question is, does this mean we can use JR Pass to ride the Spacia? I thought Spacia 100 series was owned by Tobu? Do we then have to pay extra to ride in the Spacia if it travels across Tobu tracks? Please note though we are only travelling from Ikebukuro to Tochigi, which I think is unaffected by Tobu tracks, or am I missing something here?

Some enlightenment required. Thanks!

* Note - i did Un-check the 'Private Railway' box at the bottom so that only JR trains appear.*

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

You can ride the Spacia Kinugawa with Japan Rail Pass long as you stay on JR tracks. However, Tochigi is on Tobu tracks. The train switches networks at Kurihashi, south of Tochigi.

• Like 1

You can ride the Spacia Kinugawa with Japan Rail Pass long as you stay on JR tracks. However, Tochigi is on Tobu tracks. The train switches networks at Kurihashi, south of Tochigi.

Thanks for the prompt response. You share some insight into more in depth search and...

http://jprail.com/travel-informations/tips-for-japan-rail-pass/limited-express-nikko-and-kinugawa.html

Extract from above page:

Fare

As you mentioned, these express train go through Tobu Railway line. So you need to pay the extra if you use Japan Rail Pass. If you use JR East pass, these trains are covered by the pass. You can take Niiko, Spacia Nikko, Kinugawa and Spacia Kinugawa without extra charge.

Basic fare 940yen

Express Surcharge 2010yen

*as of Jun, 2012

If you don’t want to pay any extra charge, you can take Tohoku Shinkansen and Nikko line local train without any extra. Please refer the post, How to get Nikko. But if you want to go to Kinugawa-Onsen, you cannot get there by Japan Railway. You have to take Tobu Railway line anyway.

If you take “Spacia Nikko” or “Spacia Kinugawa”, these trains have Green seat. But it is Green compartment. Even Japan Rail Pass Green does not cover this seat. You have to pay full charge that is another 6,000yen per room. Nikko and Kinugawa do not have any Green seat.

From the above, I guess I would say: "No thanks' since i'm taking only like an hour or so on it... Better go to plan 2:

Utsunomiya%20line_zpsxzjgrgat.jpg

Least I get the Utsunomiya line. Am I correct to say that the Utsunomiya line is the one with the double decker green cars? Thanks!

Yes they should have Salo cars.  Either be a E231 or E233 trainsets, and cars 4 and 5 are the Salos.

Thanks! Guess a green seat is nice for a 83 min journey, plus some nice sight seeing if possible.

I'm still trying to get the Super Azusa or Super view Odoriko, but it seems mighty impossible for my routes...

Counting down now, next time this time i'm a really excited man! :)

Getting less than 3 days away now! Forming up my final planning and printing little chits of paper that have words printed looks like these:

新幹線さくら 544, 博多駅から, 神戸駅へ, 0943午前出発, 12:10に到, 二つグリーン車の座席お願い致しま

These will assist in booking seats at the Midori-no-madaguchi, saving the translation and getting exactly the seats I want.

As I worked down, I had to ask this question:

Are there Bi-level Saro cars also on the Ryomo Line? I tried to google it, and got this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E233_series

It says under E233-3000 series, near the end: "Takasaki-based 10- and 5-car sets were introduced on Takasaki Line services between Ueno and Maebashi, replacing 211 series sets, and on Ryomo Line services from 1 September 2012.[17]'

youtube shows some bi-level cars, but they also say only used on weekends. Do anyone have any insight on this and the Ryomo line? Heard the Ryomo Line was the sacred ground for the 115 series, but wonder what rolling stock they're using now...

Thanks in advance!

*By the way, the page also shows E233-2000, which is used on Joban Line. I didn't know this E233 variant! I don't think we got a model for this?

Jr500

Wow, great to hear it's about to start! Will look forward to hearing of all your adventures! I assume you have strategic shopping stops for both you and the better half!

Happy trails!

Cheers

Jeff

NuclearErick

ah Sr.500 i forget to tell you, if you want something i can buy to you and then you pay to me when we meet at Nagoya Station

and if you have time we can go to Hobbyland Pochi is 5 mim from Nagoya Station 11:00 AM to 20:00 on weekdays

the store it is small but sometimes we can find some treasure

http://hobbyland-pochi.net/hpgen/HPB/entries/45.html

map_nagoya.gif

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff! I cant wait to see my plan un folds itself!

That is most appreciated Erick! I have dropped you a pm. Thanks!

• Like 1
NuclearErick

Hello Mr JR500系,

How is you trip progressing?  I was hoping to see some pics.

hi Ochanomizu

i meet him and Mrs.500 in the Maglev Museum here in Nagoya last thursday, has quick and short talk but we had it a lot fun

he is in the facebook doing some updates almost daily

• Like 1

I'm back!

Thanks Erick! It sure was a nice surprise meeting you there at the Nagoya Meglev Museum! Sorry I missed you at Nagoya station. It was really nice of you to actually go meet me at the Meglev Museum instead! Cheers!

I would like to express my thanks and gratitude to all who have contributed their ideas and experiences one way or the other to actually make this trip a really smooth one. There wasn't any hiccups at all and we actually made really good progress and pushed forward trips instead of missing them! (minus the fatigue, of course...)

Yes I do have tons of pictures an videos to share, but I kinda don't know where to start... 14 full days of train are quite a lot of pictures and videos~ Heck I even made sound recordings at the station platforms! :)

Now, how can I start to share these pictures? Would making an album be nice? I was thinking of making a really nice video of the entire trip using photos and videos but that would need some time to make...

I've rode my favourite train the 500 series finally. It's still has a special place in my heart ~

• Like 5

Please allow me to share my trip photos here. I'll be starting with on a daily basis, starting from Day 1, Flight from Singapore to Fukuoka, and then Shinkansen all the way to Tokyo to begin our trip. I'll be posting mainly train related photos since this is a train forum and some scenery/ food pictures to share...  

DAY 1 - Flight from Singapore to Fukuoka, shinkansen to Tokyo:

20150408_231742_zpsbg409j1p.jpg

Here we go! Excitement!

20150409_055640_zpsmzvuhwdw.jpg

A nice Birthday surprise cake on the flight there for the Mrs, as it was her birthday on that day! Certainly a great start!

20150409_063002_zpsfwf9hj1a.jpg

Almost there!

20150409_092405_zpswxadakax.jpg

Time to change the most important document for this trip! Look at the amount of people queuing up!

20150409_094600_zps0pyxmdit.jpg

Sweetest piece of paper ever to my eyes

20150409_100058_zpso0axqq7y.jpg

We didn't manage to catch the Sakura 544 as it was too close and the queuing up for the Rail Pass took too much time. We had to take the Sakura 546 instead to Shin Kobe for our transfer downwards. Indeed, Sakura 544 and 546 are very easily booked up FULL! We couldn't book the Green seats, in fact, we couldn't even booked a reserved seat due to over-crowded. We could only use non-reserved seats.... Bummer. Be wary of Sakura 544 & 546 guys!

20150409_100256_zps6m4tvxbo.jpg

Car diagrams. I love them! Helps to get in the correct places to wait. Sorry for blur picture as my hands isn't exactly themselves after lugging quite a fair bit of luggage...