It's never too early to plan!

JR 500系

One would think JR West would know their own timetable better than Hyperdia, but the timetable and route finder function on JR West's English website gives the same results as Hyperdia as does my Dec 2013 printed JR timetable book.  I thought your pdf timetable might reflect an upcoming timetable change but Hyperdia gives the same results through to December.

Just a thought, how up to date is your pdf timetable? I notice it shows the Nihonkai.

Oh Yah you're right West! Silly me... It was written on the top right hand corner of the Schedule that last updated was 01st October 2009...

Haha Silly me. Anyhow, seems a good exercise to validate the accuracy of HyperDia! Seems it's still the most updated one to use!

More planning ahead today!

*I feel very happy and excited whenever i'm planning this, although it's about 1 year away! Keeps me excited and happy!*

Several months have passed since the last post (like 3 months) but it seems like years! Guess the anxiety of visiting Japan is always within me...

I have a few questions hopping if some of you can give more information / comments about:

1) Is the JR Pass Valid for Hayabusa without extra charges? Last I knew was that the JR Pass have to pay extra, like in the cases for Mizuho and Nozomi services. But I read somewhere that recently the Hayabusa, or super komachi too, is fully covered (without extra charges) too.

2) How do you handle your luggage? Travelling needs luggage, especially those wheel pulled type travel cases, where the Mrs need to store their cosmetics and lotions and such for check-in at airline. However, in this instance, we are travelling from point to point; i.e. checking out of one hotel and moving along (in trains and on foot) sightseeing and ending up booking into another hotel only at night in another city. I read somewhere there is a forwarding service like Yamato or Takubin to send your luggage to the next hotel, but how safe / cheap is this option? We certainly do not want to lug the huge case all over the Alpine Route, nor we want our luggage to end up elsewhere when we book into our next hotel....  

Please share your experiences. Thank you!

I and two friends have just travelled around Japan in the same style as your planned trip. There wasn't any problems with the luggage as we used backpacks. I would not do the same with a suitcase. One option is to travel between 11 and 15. Leave the luggage at the hotel in the morning, go out for sightseeing, pick up the luggage at checkout time and travel to the next city and check in immediately.

The Alpine route was no problem with backpacks. We saw some people with suitcases. However, the Alpine route has a luggage transport service. It is described in their English web page. Please also note that the Alpine route does not open until around 15 April. You mentioned above that you planned the trip for March/April. It must be mid-April or later if you want to include the Alpine route.

Edited by Kitayama
  • Like 1

I think your day 6 is impossible. It is very hard to squeeze in both Kurobe Gorge and Kurobe Dam into the same day, especially if you start in Hiroshima in the morning. From Keyakidaira (the end of the Kurobe Gorge Railway) to Tateyama (the starting point of the Alpine route), it's at least four hours by train. You have to choose, Gorge or Dam. In Late April, I would choose the Alpine route and skip the gorge, which is best viewed in the autumn. BTW, the gorge railway also opens late April, this year on 20 April.

• Like 1

Japan Rail Pass can be used on the Hayabusa service. In my rail pass issued in April 2014 and in the attached leaflet it is only Nozomi and Mizuho services that are forbidden for Rail Pass holders.

Thanks Kitayama san for the valuable information!

Apologizes as I haven't updated the actual planning. Here's the actual one that is on plan:

Day 1 – Kumamoto                                (Leaving Fri night at 3rd April 2015) 04th April 2015 Sat

SIN-FUK arrive Fukuoka. 2 options. I by SQ Direct. 1 by JAL (indirect, transfer at Tokyo)

SQ – SQ656 Depart Sin at 0120am, arrive Fukuoka at 08:20am

JAL – 10pm leave Sin. Flight number JAL 036 Arrive Tokyo Haneda at 5:35am. Transfer to another flight JL 303 depart 7:35am Tokyo and arrive Fukuoka at 9:15am.

Fukuoka airport to Hakata – Fukuoka Subway Kuko line, 2 stops, 6 mins. Change JR Pass, Hakata – Kumamoto; Tsubame 319. Depart Hakata 10:13am, arrive Kumamoto 11:07am (Tsubame 800 series). Walk around (Kumamoto Castle) and Night in Kumamoto (Tomiai rail yard, TAM TAM Haruda station

Origin

Destination

Train type

Depart time

Depart track

Arrival time

Arrival track

Fukuoka

Hakata eki

Subway

COST: 260

TIME: 6mins

-

-

Hakata

Kumamoto

Tsubame 319

10:13

11:07

Day 2 – Kagoshima-Chuo / Hitsatsu Line (Train Cruise)                                        05th April 2015 Sun

Kumamoto - SL Hitoyoshi 9:44am depart, arrive at Hitoyoshi at 12:13. MUST book 1 month in advance for SL Hitoyoshi! Alternate if SL not available, Kyushu Odan Express No.1 depart Kumamoto at 11:24 arrive Hitoyoshi at 12:50. Link to Isaburo-Shinpei No.3 depart at 13:21 to arrive at Yoshimatsu at 14:47 and link to Hayato-No-Kaze No.3 depart at 15:03 and arrive at Kagoshima Chuo at 16:32. (information from: http://kyushu-japan-holidays.com)  Go back to Kumamoto for night over.

Origin

Destination

Train type

Depart time

Depart track

Arrival time

Arrival track

Kumamoto

Hitoyoshi

SL Hitoyoshi

09:44

-

12:13

-

Hitoyoshi

Yoshimatsu

Isaburo-Shinpei 3

13:21

-

14:47

-

Yoshimatsu

Kagoshima-Chuo

Hayato-No-Kaze 3

15:03

-

16:32

-

Kagoshim-Chuo

Kumamoto

Tsubame 354

21:39

-

22:25

-

Day 3 – Aso / Hakata                                                                             06th April 2015 Mon

Depart Kagoshima-Chuo at 09.03 arrive Kumamoto at 09:59. Aso boy No. 101 depart Kumamoto 10:28 to Aso. After Aso, depart Aso 16:47 Kyushu Odan Tokkyu 5 arrive Kumamoto 17:54. Tsubame 338 depart Kumamoto at 18:04 to Hakata arrive 18:52. (option- Sakura 568 depart Kumamoto at 18:00 arrive Hakata at 18:37. Overnight in Hakata. Train shop at 9th storey of Hakata station.  

Origin

Destination

Train type

Depart time

D. track

Arrival time

Arrival track

Kumamoto

Aso

Aso Boy 101

10:28

-

11:49

-

Aso

Kumamoto

Kyushu Odan Tokkyu 5

16:47

-

17:54

-

Kumamoto

Hakata

Tsubame 338

18:04

-

18:37

Day 4 – Beppu / Hiroshima                                                                    07th April 2015 Tues

Hakata – Beppu. Yufuin No Mori No.3 depart Hakata 10:25 arrive Beppu 13:35.  Walk to

Takegawara Onsen for sand bath. Beppu to Hiroshima. Limited Express Sonic No.54 depart

Beppu at 18:20pm and arrive Kokura at 19:37. Kodama 764 (500 Series) depart Kokura 20:06

and arrive Hiroshima at 21:33. Night shopping and Overnight at Hiroshima.  

Origin

Destination

Train type

Depart time

D. track

Arrival time

Arrival track

Hakata

Beppu

Yufuin No Mori 3

10:25

13:35

-

Beppu

Kokura

Ltd. Exp. Sonic 54

18:20

-

19:37

Kokura

Hiroshima

Kodama 764 (500)

20:06

21:33

Day 5 – Hiroshima/ Nagoya                                                                    08th April 2015 Wed

Hiroshima - Visit A-Bomb Museum. Refer to map. Hiroshima Castle, Downtown Hiroshima shopping.

Hiroshima station to Miyajima-Guchi (26min ride) then Ferry ride to Miyajima island. Miyajima island

walk-around. Overnight at Hiroshima.   

Day 6 – Shin-Osaka                                                                               09th April 2015 Thurs

Hiroshima to Shin-Osaka Hikari Rail Star 442 depart Hiroshima at 07:46 arrive Shin-Osaka 10:04.

Shin-Osaka programs insert here: 

Origin

Destination

Train type

Depart time

Depart track

Arrival time

Arrival track

Hiroshima

Shin-Osaka

Hikari RS 442

07:46

10:04

Day 7 – Kyoto / Sagano Sightseeing train                                               10th April 2015 Fri

Shin-Osaka to Kyoto. Ltd. Express Haruka No.10 depart Shin-Osaka 10:08 arrive Kyoto 10:31. Kyoto to Saga-Arashiyama JR Sagano Line depart 10:37 arrive 10:53. Walk from Saga-Arashiyama station To Torokko Saga station. Super Diorama inside! Through the bamboo forest to Arashiyama-Torokko station eating Dango. Sagano Sightseeing Train Number 11 depart Arashiyama-Torokko station 14:10 arrive Kameoka-Torokko station 14:30. Walk 10mins to JR Umahori station. Anytime, Umahori to Kyoto, 23min JR Sagano Line. Either return to Shin-Osaka or Kyoto walk around. Overnight in Shin-Osaka (Donton-buri)

Origin

Destination

Train type

Depart time

Depart track

Arrival time

Arrival track

Shin-Osaka

Kyoto

Haruka 10

10:08

10:31

Kyoto

Saga-Arashiyama

JR Sagano Line

10:37

-

10:53

-

Arashiyama- Torokko

Kameoka-Torokko

Sagano SS train No.11

14:10

-

14:30

*Every hour train

JR Umahori

Kyoto

Sagano Line

-

-

23 mins

Regular

Kyoto

Shin-Osaka

Thunder Bird 26

16:11

16:32

Day 8 – Shin-Osaka to Nagoya / JR Museum - Toyama                         11th April 2015 Sat

Shin-Osaka to Nagoya Hikari 464 (700 series) depart Shin-Osaka 10:40 arrive Nagoya 11:33. Nagoya to

Kinjufuto 24mins 350yen to Nagoya JR Museum. Check out Shinkansen stimulator! Depart Nagoya via Hikari 479 at 18:11 arrive Kyoto 18:47. Change to Ltd. Exp. Thunderbird 39 depart Kyoto 19:09 arrive Toyama 22:00  

Origin

Destination

Train type

Depart time

Depart track

Arrival time

Arrival track

Hiroshima

Nagoya

Hikari 464

10:40

11:33

Nagoya

Kinjufuto

PTE

Regular

COST: 350

TIME: 24min

Nagoya

Kyoto

Hikari 479

18:11

18:47

Kyoto

Toyama

Thunderbird 39

19:09

22:00

Nagoya

Toyama

Shirasagi 13

17:48

21:28

Day 9 – Toyama – Tateyama Route – Nagano                                                    12th April 2015 Sun

From Toyama, take Tateyama Route trip for FULL journey. Toyama Chiho Railway to Tateyama station. Tateyama Cablecar to Bijodaira station. Bus from Bijodaira station to Murodo. Tateyama Trolley bus from Murodo to Daikanbo. Tateyama Ropeway from Daikanbo to Kurobedaira. Kurobe Cablecar from Kurobedaira to Kurobeko station. Kanden Trolley bus rom Kurobe dam to Ogizawa. Bus from Ogizama to JR-Shinano-Omachi station. Refer below table for route. Overnight at Matsumoto.

Origin

Destination

Train type

Depart time

Cost per pax

Arrival time

Toyama

Tateyama station

Chiho Railway

09:08

10:16

Tateyama station

Bijodaira

Tateyama Cable car

Bijodaira

Murodo

Highway bus

Murodo

Daikanbo

Tateyama Trolley bus

Daikanbo

Kurobedaira

Tateyama Ropeway

Kurobedaira

Kurobeko station

Kurobe Cable car

Kurobe Dam

Ogizawa station

Kanden Trolley bus

Ogizawa station

JR-Shinano-Omachi

Bus

JR-Shinano-Omachi

Matsumoto

JR Oito Line

19:00

19:52

Day 10 – Matsumoto Castle, Yokohama Ramen Museum

Matsumoto Castle.

Day 11 - Walk around and overnight in Tokyo. Akihabara visit FModels. Have lunch at MacDonald’s at Akihabara station front to view shinkansens! Odaiba park. Purchase Yurikamome one day pass at Shimbashi station. Cross Rainbow Bridge align Odaiba, walk to Diver City Tokyo for Gundam Front Tokyo and giant Gundam statue.

Origin

Destination

Train type

Depart time

Depart track

Arrival time

Arrival track

Tokyo

Akihabara

Yamanote

-

-

-

-

Akihabara

Shimbashi

Yamanote

-

-

-

-

Shimbashi Yurikamome

Odaiba (U07)

Yurikamome

-

-

820 yen day pass

-

Day 12 - Tokyo to Hakone via Odakyu 50000 VSE. Overnight in Hakone

Day 13 - Hakone back to Tokyo. Visit Ashikaga Tochigi, Ashikaga Flower Park. Must be in MID APRIL! Wisteria flowers. Tomita station.  Aim for MAX Toki, Tanigawa, Nasuno.

Day 14 - Tokyo - in the works

Day 15 – Tokyo to Sin. 2 options. SQ and JAL.

The dates are tentative though, subject to changes, but it will start on a Saturday and end on a Saturday 2 weeks later, totalling 15 days, with a 14 day JR Pass to cover.

I understand about the Kurobe Gorge and Dam route, and know that the Gorge way is closed hence it will be excluded in this trip, and taking on the Alpine Tateyama route instead (the Mrs. is BIG on the scenery!) I'll definitely need to use forwarding services as the Mrs. wants to have a hard case in the form of hand pull trolley type as she doesn't trust back packs (since they're soft) and the airline's way of handling luggage. It's a hassle, but we have to make do with it. in order to cover more areas, we have to keep going ahead hence the bags cannot be left at the hotel and we need to hurry back to the hotel to collect them before travelling onwards.

Though it's great the JR Pass is available without extra charges on the Hayabusa, I sincerely doubt i'lll ever get on one since there are almost no eastern areas this time. Probably just taking one E5 services either through Nasuno or Hayate to reach Omiya, and one Tsubasa service back to Tokyo to ride the E3.

*Weird the tables are missing when I post them out on the forums from words.... Sorry for the weird wordings arrangement as they are susposed to be in a table format*

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

Hello Mr JR500,

Personally, there is too much travelling and not enough sightseeing for me.  I could not travel all the way to Beppu and miss so much of what that city has to offer.  Same with Hiroshima.  Shukkeien Garden simply must not be missed.  Hiroshima also has the country's largest tram  network.

My advice for Hakone is to stay at Setsugetsuka Hotel.  My wife and I love this place.  The gourmet food.  The private hot springs (even in your own room), everyone walking around in Yakuta. 2 nights is a must.  You cannot go up the mountain, see the museum, sculpture garden, etc. all in 24 hours.

My strongest advice is for you to relax your plan and slow down.  Perhaps more time spent at the destinations might make the trip more enjoyable, especially for Mrs JR.

• Like 2

Hello JR500-san!

Some more comments on your itinerary.

Nagoya - Toyama: I can't see any reason to travel via Kyoto, arriving at Toyama at 2200. I would change to the Shirasagi in Maibara and arrive at 2128, same time from Nagoya. Anyway, you have to revisit the plan for this leg when the new timetables are published. In March 2015, the Hokuriku Shinkansen will open Kanazawa - Toyama - Nagano. That will also affect the southern part of the Hokuriku line, e.g. the Thunderbird (or whatever it will be called) will probably terminate in Kanazawa and you have to go by Shinkansen between Kanazawa and Toyama. The old line will no longer be JR, so the rail pass will not be valid.

The best option, both for the rail fan and for the scenic-loving wife, between Nagoya and Toyama is without doubt the Hida express on the Takayama line. Than you will have some chance to see cherry blossoms, as the Takayama area is quite late blooming.

I would plan for a stop in Takayama, a lovely town that the whole family can enjoy.

It is very, very risky to plan for the Tateyama Alpine Route at April 12. This year they opened the through route at April 16.

You need to have a back up plan or travel at least one week later. It the winter is harsh, even one week later can be too early.

Edited by Kitayama
  • Like 1

Additional comment on Sakura / cherry / blossoming. You are a bit too late for the sakura period, especially if you travel one week later to able to do the Tateyama Alpine route. That route and cherry blossoms in the same fortnight is very, very tricky. I tried that several times and failed. This year I skipped the hanami and did the Tateyama alpine route instead.

A good web page on sakura blossoming:

http://www.jnto.go.jp/sakura/eng/index.php

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

JR500,

This is applicable to train travel anywhere in the world, but try to pack light as much as possible.  A smaller midsize rolling suitcase under 160cm total dimensions/25kg total weight as your main luggage (or a rolling backpack), and a backpack/shoulder boston bag as your secondary/carrybout, with enough space inside for a change of clothes and toiletries for one or two nights. If you need to do any substantial shopping, do it on the day before you return home- you can buy a cheap piece of luggage to carry it home the same day.

Yamato Takkyubin is excellent and rock-solid reliable, as are the other package/luggage delivery services- you can specify the time the luggage will be delivered in two hour blocks, until 9pm.  Just make sure it stays under the dimensions/weight given above, or else you will have to pay more and/or have slower delivery.  Delivery is next day service, so plan carefully so that you have necessary items should you check in before your main luggage arrives.

http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/personal/ta_q_bin/

*once again, pack light!

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

Thank you E6 san, Kitayama san and bikkuri san for the valuable information!

@ E6 san:

Thanks for the hotel recommendation! I was looking for a nice hotel at Hakone, definitely checking this out. I understand the thing about relax and taking things slower, perhaps I was too ambitious and greedy to try and cover as much as I could within 14 days. I wished I could take a longer time, like 21 days, but work doesn't allow that. Also, after this trip, the Mrs. has already sounded 'No more Japan' at least in the next 5 years or so as she really wants to visit elsewhere instead. Because of work, and money, we can only go on a trip every year, so it's really gotta wait until a long time till we can go Japan again. It is with this thinking that got me so greedy to cover as much as possible...  

@ Kitayama san:

Thank you! Yes I was looking again at Hyperia and I think the Shirasagi is a much better option than the thunderbird to Toyama. Will be updating that in my plan. Anyhow both the Shirasagi and Thunderbird uses the 681/ 683 series right?  

Yes Takayama was a very serene and nice place to visit. We went in 2012 to Takayama using the Takayama route via the Kiha-85 Hida Wide View, and had nice Hida beef and a wonderful private hot spring.

I think I have to either choose between the sakura, or the wisteria/ tateyama route. The reason for the dates was so that we could see the sakura, but the Tateyama route and the wisteria (blooms in mid April) will be missed. It's a tough choice, and i'm still letting the Mrs. decide on this. Great webpage on the blooming of sakura season! Will be monitoring this.

@ Bikkuri san:

Thanks for the link on the Takyubin! Definitely useful. The thing is, I can travel light, but the Mrs. wants her stuff. And those stuff can't be hand-carried into the plane (liquids) and are usually fragile (in glass bottles). Hence I need a hard case luggage just for her stuff. My stuff can go into a haversack with enough change clothing. We also thought of buying new clothing along the way so that it gets heavier towards the end of the trip. The more 'travelling' stuff hence was scheduled to be at the front of the trip, like the Hitsatsu line, Tateyama Route, Hiroshima etc. Once we reach Tokyo, we will have a hotel to park our stuff in, except for the night at Hakone. The link will definitely be useful in booking for the transport, which I foresee we will be using a fair bit.  

Thanks guys again for the feedback! 

Hello Mr JR500,

I must warn you that Setsugetsuka Hotel is quite expensive, even for Hakone.  However, I strongly recommend this hotel ... and for two nights, of course.  Apart from there being so much to see, you must understand that the weather in that part of Japan can be quite changeable.  If you are stuck there in the rain you will want to enjoy yourself indoors.

Perhaps your wife is correct.  Mine always is !!! ... I suggest your next holiday be either London or Paris !!!

lurkingknight

It's not quite set in stone yet, but it looks like spring 2015 is a go for me to return to japan for another 2 weeks or so.

Tentatively we're spending more time in kansai and ending again in tokyo. At the moment we are looking at other places to go, either in kansai or elsewhere.

We'll definitely be doing kyoto again, we'd like to return to kiyomizudera during the day, we did it at night last time. Possibly return to nijo castle during the night this time around where we did it during the day.

Also on the list is a return to osaka and some time in kobe, possibly nara and or wakayama should there be anything interesting in those cities.

We're ending in tokyo, possibly a shorter stay than last time, we have a new traveller with us this time, it will be his first trip to japan, and so far only on his list is akihabara. I'd like to go see odaiba and return to the sky tree, we didn't get a chance to go up last time as the weather shut down the sky deck.

Beyond that, does anyone have any sight seeing destinations?

Regarding Miyajima, you owe it to yourself to climb up to the highest point on the island, Mt Misen (535m). The views from the top are outstanding, and the sites along the hike are also quite beautiful. There is a cable car that takes you most of the way to the top, but I prefer to walk, there's a greater sense of achievement when you reach the top.

This will be a short reply, I'm tired and still have the last of my 26'000 images from the last Japan trip to trudge through tonight, but I will add in my few ¥

If you can work in 36-48 hours in Hiroshima, do it. I made an overnight trip from Matsuyama to Hiroshima/Miyajima and was glad I did. Arrived about 0900 in Hiroshima, and hit the trams pretty good, then killed an hour at Hitroshima station before heading SW to Miyajima. Sadly it rained and the school trips were everywhere. My primary focus of the entire Shikoku trip was to see shrines and despite how famous miyajima is, the number of tourists made my work hell. Sadly, unless you spend the night on the island itself, it's pretty tough to get daytime shots of the torii in the water due to the tides. When my ferry was arriving at 1000 the tide was on the way out, and when I left at 5pm the tide was still out. Regardless, I was still glad I went.

Spent the night near Hiroshima Station, Cost was ¥4000 for one night. It was a simple biz-hotel, but the room was clean, and there were no yakuza getting drunk in the halls. That morning, I went and spent half a morning at the station shooting every JR train I could, including the shinkansen platforms. My three Fuji cameras are still angry at me for working them so hard. After that, more trams and then the ferry back to Matsuyama. Sadly, I just couldn't work in the logistics of hitting the transport museum due to the time I had and my jet ferry tickets.

Sadly, unless you spend the night on the island itself, it's pretty tough to get daytime shots of the torii in the water due to the tides. When my ferry was arriving at 1000 the tide was on the way out, and when I left at 5pm the tide was still out.

Well, just need to wait a a week or so. Tides schedule changes about 50 minutes a day. So need to check the tide tables to make sure you have a decent high at the time of day you want to shoot it at. Depending on the phase of the moon you will get some days with two good high tides about 11.5 hrs apart, other times you will get a low high and a high high. Unfortunately you just hit the wrong day in the lunar cycle to get a nice high in the middle of the day.

Jeff

Wonderful information! Thanks guys!

HHmmm it seems Miyajima island and the hill climb should be done.

There seems to be some changes to the planning. The initial planning of 15 days has now been extended to 17 days, bringing 2 more days of fun. This will mean leaving on a Wednesday late night and arriving early on Thursday morning, and a return flight on a Sunday instead of a Saturday. The 14 days JR pass stands, with 2 additional days using either the Subway Metro pass or Toei bus pass since we'll be in Tokyo for the last 2 days.  

Updating more on the planning as I go along.

More suggestions very much welcomed and appreciated. Thank you so far for all your inputs! Very informative!  :)

Hiroshima: I can recommend the Urban business hotel close to the station. Inexpensive, nice rooms, free laundry machines. (Important on a longer trip!) We were three people and the best option was actually to get a single room each.

Hiroshima: I can recommend the Urban business hotel close to the station. Inexpensive, nice rooms, free laundry machines. (Important on a longer trip!) We were three people and the best option was actually to get a single room each.

Thanks Kitayama san! You wouldn't happen to have the name of that hotel now, would you?

I was looking at the Toyoku Inn hotel, located at the Higashi-Hiroshima exit.  

Thanks Kitayama san! You wouldn't happen to have the name of that hotel now, would you?

I was looking at the Toyoku Inn hotel, located at the Higashi-Hiroshima exit.

Toyoko Inn are boring hotels, but good enough if you don't find anything else in that price rsnge.

The Urban hotel in Hiroshima: http://www.urbain-hotels.com/hex/en/index.html

lurkingknight

we stayed at the dormy inn in hiroshima last year... very clean, with free laundry facilities and buffet breakfast included... was like 59$ a night canadian or something ridiculously cheap. I would stay there again if I go back.

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

The national chain hotels in the low price range of 4000~6000 yen/night for a single are pretty consistent in quality (better and cleaner than the budget motels like traveloge or motel 6 in the US) and are typically conveniently located near (or next to) a station.  They are fine if you're looking for a clean place to sleep and a shower, plus privacy.  I almost always stay at a Toyoko Inn as I only use it as a place to crash for the night, otherwise I'm out riding and photographing trains 8am~8pm, at least in the summer months. I have a members card, which accumulates points, after 10 stays you get a free nights stay.  The complimentary breakfast can be variable in quality though- the central Tokyo Toyoko Inns have poor ones (cold dinner rolls and coffee only- i.e. go to the nearest family restaurant if you want to be satisfied), while the ones located in the regional cities often have quite good breakfasts- onigiri, miso soup, salad, various side dishes-often local specialties, toast/pastries, juice, sometimes curry rice- I fill up in the morning, to the extent that I can skip lunch sometimes.

I'll go along with what bikkuri bahn says about the Toyoko Inns but I also stay at some of the other similar national chains on the rare occasion there is no Toyoko Inn in town. There are no hotels in Australia that offer comparable value for money where I've paid twice as much for hotels that would have to be demolished to come up to Toyoko Inn's standard.  I don't mind boring hotels as like him I'm only there to sleep, having every room I stay in from Sapporo to Miyazaki looking exactly the same, even to the pictures on the wall, makes it feel like home. :)

When I'm in Hiroshima I usually stay at the Toyoko Inn Hiroshima Ekimae Ohashi Minami on the south side of the station just across the river, there is also a tram stop only a block away.

Edited by westfalen
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for the feedback!

Was kinda worried with Toyoko Inn, but looks like they seem fine. They are priced reasonably too, while I just need a place to sleep and shower, the basic amenities should be there, like private bathrooms with hot water, TV, air-conditioners (or heaters in winter) and a nice breakfast is a great touch. I've stayed in very bad hotels before (not in Japan, in Libya though) with common shared bathrooms, and their bathrooms were so bad and dirty, I had to go to the petrol kiosk nearby to use their bathroom. Thinking about the sight of the bathroom still sends shivers down my spine.

I tried looking at the Urban business hotel and Dormy Inn hotel websites to get a tentative costing on both of them for comparison, but both show 'rooms are not available for the dates you have chosen'. Perhaps it's too early?

Seems like Toyoko-Inn Hiroshima-eki, Shinkansen-guchi is the one to go for: http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00104/index.html

Or I might try Apa Hotel too, not too far away.

With reference to another thread, the hotel at Tabata station is good too for shinkansen viewing from your hotel room ~

Looking for a nice onsen/ resort hotel situated in Hakone/ Fuji area for about 1 or 2 nights, should have a private onsen, best with a view of mount Fuji. E6 san suggested one, but that was way over my budget and level at almost US$500 + per night. Anyone have a slightly cheaper alternative? Thanks in advance!

Hello Mr JR500,

So sorry about Setsugetsuka price, but that is the price you must pay for private onsen and view of Mt Fuji.  Each room also has a private outdoor bath on balcony.  It goes well with saki.  Saki make the wife look better ... same as makeup ... ;)

You must also understand that Setsugetsuka includes 12 course dinner and 10 course breakfast.  These meals are prepared by experienced chefs of considerable fame.  Many guests, such as my wife, stay at Setsugetsuka for the food alone.  I would still recommend as a fine reward to any wife who is married to a railfan ... ;)

• Like 2