Kato Knuckle Couplers

Krackel Hopper

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

I recently purchased the Kato Seki 3000 set, and after looking at the spacing of the Rapido couplers, I decided I should swap them out. The HobbySearch website suggests two couplers, Kato 11- 702 and Roundhouse 28-187

From the pictures/descriptions I can't tell much of a difference between the two. The Kato is a two piece knuckle coupler and the Roundhouse is a single piece knuckle coupler..

Does anyone have experience with these couplers? Is one a better quality over the other? I assume the Roundhouse has a closer connection.. but is it significantly shorter than the 11-702 coupler?

Thanks

Krackel Hopper

I believe you are correct, the machine translation for the roundhouse couplers says something about "has been adopted wagons Kato USA product" so it must be.. but that makes me wonder about their compatibility with the knuckle coupler they provide with their Japanese engines.

Oh well, I believe I'll stick to the Kato 11-702 knuckle coupler as I'm almost positive it is the same, or at least comparable with, the Kato knuckle coupler provided with their engines.

Guest Closed Account 1

The Kato Roundhouse coupler is the same as the Kato 923090.

I'd like to convert Tomix JC02 Arnold/Rapido couplers to knuckles.

What is the Tomix version of the Kato 923090 with the tail for the spring?

post-398-0-77088000-1451250085_thumb.gif

I discovered another option - the Unimate coupler, which looks very much like the Kato, and now produced by Red Caboose.

MTS sells 8-packs for $2, but if you don't want anything else from them eBay makes more sense due to shipping costs.  I got two packages at $3 with $3.25 shipping for both, but that seller is missing at the moment. 

Same cost as Kato USA, but 16 couplers vs. 10, and almost certainly cheaper shipping.

gallery_941_192_55785.jpg

Yep - I believe that's the old name, or perhaps that of the retail store.

MTS is their web presence - not to be confused with a certain manufacturer of 3-rail O-scale.

Easy to find on the site:  N scale, then couplers - or maybe a direct search.

If searching eBay, you have to use Red Caboose, as they don't seem to be listed under Unimate - and then be prepared to scroll past a lot of red cabooses in multiple scales.

I'm no their mailing list.  But never brought to their high prices.

If I'm understanding what you are saying . . .

Their prices are among the lowest in the US for most items across several scales - I'm sure Jeff will confirm.

Are you comparing their prices on Japanese items to the price in Japan?

If so - then no, it doesn't make sense to have Japanese stuff shipped to the east coast of the US, and then back to Australia.

I'd love to get into a epic i-battle about our difference of opinion.  But I wont take the bait.  This community doesn't deserve it again.  Our opinion of MTS is differing. Enough said. Done.  Move on.

Edited by katoftw
Martijn Meerts

MTS is fairly cheap, but their international shipping can be ridiculous really. I tried to order coupler replacements for the morning daylight there, couplers were 10 dollars, shipping was 84 dollars because the didn't offer anything other than the most expensive FedEx option for shipping to the Netherlands for some reason :)

Strangely though, my Kato GG1 is from there as well, and shipping on that was like 7 dollars or something ...

Edited by Martijn Meerts

That is really bizarre Martijn.  I recall a Canadian member recently saying that they wanted a crazy amount for shipping up there.

I'm curious what shipping option was used for the GG1?  I'd have to think it was unregistered at that price, and even then I can't see the USPS sending anything to Japan for that little.

If someone is willing to make the effort, you might write their customer service and tell them that a lot of non-US modelers would buy from them if they didn't have such crazy shipping rates for small / light items.

I'd have to say that MTS is not a full-range shop, generally carrying very little in terms of scratchbuilding, scenery, and some other areas.

Their Clearance page can have some really good deals.  Right now they have a cute little Fox Valley transfer caboose for a good price - one each of two road numbers. 

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Fox-Valley-N-Transfer-Caboose-MILW-p/fvm-91151.htm

It is not that dissimilar from the Tomix 93513.

http://www.modeltrainplus.net/collections/rare-item/products/tomix-93513-jr-guard-s-van-type-yo8000-yo8639-green

While we're at it, are all Kato knuckles compatible?

I have a couple of KiHa 52s fitted with the plain two piece ones, and as I've ordered a KiHa 47 and KiHa 65 I'm just wondering if the ones with the dummy hoses (described as "JP Coupler") are compatible with the other type. I'd plan to fit the hoses to the non-cab ends of the two new KiHas as it'll look better, but use the plain knuckles on cab ends as the hoses would look a bit daft there.

Incidentally, a pack of twenty Kato knuckles is less than £2 from Plaza Japan at the moment. Postage is more, but if you add them to an order then it makes little difference.

Incidentally, a pack of twenty Kato knuckles is less than £2 from Plaza Japan at the moment. Postage is more, but if you add them to an order then it makes little difference.

That's twice the couplers for about half the price as Kato USA, and I'm guessing the shipping cost isn't all that much different.

My basic rule is that I absolutely refuse to pay more for shipping than the cost of the product - no matter how desperate I may be.

Martijn Meerts

That is really bizarre Martijn.  I recall a Canadian member recently saying that they wanted a crazy amount for shipping up there.

I'm curious what shipping option was used for the GG1?  I'd have to think it was unregistered at that price, and even then I can't see the USPS sending anything to Japan for that little.

If someone is willing to make the effort, you might write their customer service and tell them that a lot of non-US modelers would buy from them if they didn't have such crazy shipping rates for small / light items.

I'd have to say that MTS is not a full-range shop, generally carrying very little in terms of scratchbuilding, scenery, and some other areas.

Their Clearance page can have some really good deals.  Right now they have a cute little Fox Valley transfer caboose for a good price - one each of two road numbers. 

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Fox-Valley-N-Transfer-Caboose-MILW-p/fvm-91151.htm

It is not that dissimilar from the Tomix 93513.

http://www.modeltrainplus.net/collections/rare-item/products/tomix-93513-jr-guard-s-van-type-yo8000-yo8639-green

Can't remember which shipping I used for the GG1, it's been quite a while since I bought it. It was the cheapest option they had at the time though, they might also have had some sort of discount on shipping at the time, because I remember the GG1 being available from multiple stores, but I went with MTS for some reason.

modeltrainstuff is a full range shop. It is the hobby shop mb kleins here in the Baltimore area. It carries the full range of scales and supplies. It's one of the handful of shops in the us that are still well stocked, train only and all major scales. They are also an KatoUSA distributor so they are usually very well stocked in unitrak most all the time. The website does not reflect all the stuff in stock at the store nor does everything on the site out on the shelves.nthey do carry a good stock of scenery materials and detailing parts at the shop, but I never look at that stuff on the site as I pick that stuff up at semi annual visits over to the shop (it's about an hour drive from here). They use to be in a good sized shop in down town Baltimore right near the train station with shelves crammed full to the rafters, much like many Japanese hobby shops where if you bend over you have to make sure your butt does not clear off a shelf behind you! Unfortunately they lost the lease there and moved out north of town in the burbs to an industrial park with more room, but less charm.

Their prices are usually some of the best around for us stuff. In most cases they have good discounts, rarely see something way out of line w.o a decent discount off SRP on the standard American stuff. They carry a smattering of imported things as well and things I've seen like noch and fujimi stuff seemed to be decently priced. Service has always been good for me in the store or thru web orders.

Every 2-3 years they tend to bring over a batch of Kato Japanese trains for sale, usually pretty standard ones. They got the E5 last time. Prices at their discount end up at around Japanese SRP, or a bit above so not great. I've bought a few Japanese trains there just to support them doing this (almost no one else in the us does). They usually will fire sale off any remainders of these trains in 12-18 months where you can get some great deals, then pretty much no Japanese stock for a year or so and they do the cycle again.

Many us hobby shops don't like to export these days. The shipping out of the us is pretty global priority or express mail and horridly expensive. A small package can be $20 global priority. Airmail is now much more limited and w.o tracking and insurance many shops want. The paperwork now is even worse as they have to do the full 4 page form as a business. I think they Just feel it's not worth their trouble. Also if there is a problem battling over return shipping and reshipping costs can be an issue with export customers.

It's sad, but I can see shops just not wanting to hassle with it. I wish they would just say no rather than jacking up the shipping costs,mbut I guess if someone wants it bad enough to pay them for their troubles then ok.

Jeff

• Like 1

That's twice the couplers for about half the price as Kato USA, and I'm guessing the shipping cost isn't all that much different.

My basic rule is that I absolutely refuse to pay more for shipping than the cost of the product - no matter how desperate I may be.

Yep, same here. The postage would obviously be more than the product in this case but if you add them to an order it's fine. For example, I'm considering a SaRo 28 and a lighting unit for same, so if/when I order those I'll add a bag of couplers to the basket.

Velotrain,

I think he might be referring to Newhallstation instead of MTS. At one time their prices were double on most products but then again it depend from who perspective (location)

Inobu

Edited by inobu

Inobu - I don't understand your context.

If you are referencing Welshbloke's message, we're only discussing shipping vs. product cost.

Yes newhall is a totally different story! Jacking up Japanese train prices way high to exploit folks. Basically transshippng most stuff from Japanese hobby shops with 2-3x markup! I guess there is a market there and don't need that many sales with that kind of markup to make money!

Modeltrainstuff is the traditional old train shop, they just did a big website later, but have kept their brick and mortar.

Jeff