Yokahama line E233系 Delivery

bronzeonion

Well, the 209s are technically difficult to maintain, as they were quite faulty trains to begin with. I think the 209s will disappear within the next 5 to 10 years, if not quicker. It's a shame, since they are nice trains to look at (except those slim body 1000 types on the Jōban and Chiyoda lines) and have a nice inverter sound.

There is train action outside of the Kanto area, you can see 205's on the Hanwa Line.  Even better, there are 103's too.

However, don't expect the 103's to be lasting much longer in any JR service, even on the Osaka Loop Line. I know that JR West was testing three doors/car 221/223 EMU's on the Osaka Loop Line some months ago, and that could signal the reassignment of the 221's to the Loop Line in the next couple of years to replace to really-aging 103's and 201's (and booting the 103's off the JR West Hanwa Line, too).

But getting back on topic--it's going to be a bit boring in the Tokyo by 2016-2017 as the 205's and 209's are replaced by a combination of E233's and possible E235 variants.

But getting back on topic--it's going to be a bit boring in the Tokyo by 2016-2017 as the 205's and 209's are replaced by a combination of E233's and possible E235 variants.

Depends. The E233s are very comfortable and not bad looking trains. The design of the E235 is pretty daring as well, so personally, I see them as a worthy replacement of the 205s and 209s. In 20~30 years people will talk the same nostalgics about these now new trains... It's just history repeating.

• Like 1

However, don't expect the 103's to be lasting much longer in any JR service, even on the Osaka Loop Line. I know that JR West was testing three doors/car 221/223 EMU's on the Osaka Loop Line some months ago, and that could signal the reassignment of the 221's to the Loop Line in the next couple of years to replace to really-aging 103's and 201's (and booting the 103's off the JR West Hanwa Line, too).

Agreed. There are some 221s already running on Osaka Loop service

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYC4nn3l2I4

and some 223 series too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pc1cjmMBMo

A possibility is the 225 series running on the Osaka Loop line?

Also, the new E233-8000 series for the Nambu Line has started testing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noX_azLCtmg

Agree the 233 looks good and functions well, but a variety is always welcomed; having only 233 series all around and the occasional 231-500 or the new 235 is still quite limited in terms of variety...  

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

The destination board for that 223 series says 回送 (kaisō), which means that it's not in passenger service but rather a transport between yards or something.