Yokahama line E233系 Delivery

bronzeonion

Oh dang! I guess I better start dedicating my 'outside time' snapping 205s near Machida! A good reason not to go to TamTam and be tempted to spend money on trains.

What's wrong with spending money on trains? ;)

Nothing at all, I'm not saying they should not have been ordered but that it is just a shame there will be even less 205 series in the Tokyo area

Nobody who rides the 205's on the Yokohama Line in the most crowded parts of the line will miss the 205's. That's why the riders on the Saikyo LIne welcomed the roomier E233's that replaced the 205's on that line.

• Like 1

Oh yes! I have ridden the 205s between Machida and Hashimoto in rush hour. Not fun... :(

What's wrong with spending money on trains? ;)

My wife has a different opinion... xD

Has there been any information about how much more efficient these are than the 205s?  I seem to remember that the improvement in efficiency from the 700 to N700 shinkansen was pretty dramatic, like greater than 20%.  If all the 205s were swapped with E233s between one electric bill and the next, would JR East see a clear difference? :grin

The 205 series has resistor control, so if the motors are the same type, you would see no difference on full throttle. On anything less than that, the resistor control system takes nearly as much power as on full throttle, while an igbt drive takes only as much as really needed. The 205 is more clever than that with field exitation control, a form of ward leonard control, that works above 40 km/h and also has a series/parallel switch around half of that. You could see a difference around 25% to 75% depending on the number of stops, avearge and top speed (the yokohama line has a station every 2 kilometers on average). The new sets will also have led lighting and more efficient ac, so that's some extra too. Actually the 201 series was more advanced with thyristor control (almost as good as an igbt) but the 205 series got a similar traction controller as the 103 series, but i don't know why, because they already had the more advanced 201 series.

• Like 2
Guest keio6000

soon the whole world will be nothing but e231s/e233s.

i also rode the 205s there quite often (visits to tamtam, what else!).  i dont think the yokohama line is anybody's favourite (but then again, i thought this about the joban and keiyo lines too, and i think there are some fans here) but i can't imagine how a 233 would really improve the boring ride compared to a 205.

• Like 1

Well, at least the Jōban and Keiyō lines see a variety of rolling stock. The Yokohama line is ONLY 205 series with the occasional seasonal Hamakaiji Ltd. Express (185 or 183/189 series). xD

To be fair though I am not complaining about the E233's as a train they are excellent pieces of kit, far more advanced technologically but still retaining all the sensible design features unlike any new design of train in the UK. Believe it or not, unlike new Japanese trains British trains are actually getting heavier with just a trailer coach of of a 'Desiro UK' EMU weighing nearly 30 - 40 tonnes unlike the 21 tonnes of an E233 trailer!

a 'Desiro UK' EMU weighing nearly 30 - 40 tonnes unlike the 21 tonnes of an E233 trailer!

The e233 is 318.8 tonnes for 10 cars, an average of 31.88 tonnes per car. (half of them motorised) The br450 class is 170 for 4 cars, an average of 42.5 tonnes per car. (also half of them motorised) The weight difference could be accounted for by the e233 having married pair motors, so most electronics and braking equipment is shared between the pairs. The seating layout is mostly bench seating with more standing room (158.2 passangers/car). The br450 has two independent power cars at the two ends, which doubles the weight of the equipment and also has 5 seats per row coach seating (66 passangers/car), which also increases the empty weight. A difference of 10-11 tonnes per car could easily come from this and the more strict crash safety requirements of the UK. Otherwise the two trainsets are very much the best that could be made with the national laws and the buget of the operator. Of course one of them is an urban while the other is a suburban commuter set, so an apple and an orange.

• Like 2

My good old Traction Recognition book says the Class 450 (this br came from the German system?) is 162 tonnes (DMOSs are 46t (*2), TCO 35t, TSO 35t). It is interesting to see the older, also 4 cars Class 455/7 in SWT fleet is only 130 tonnes with 2+2 seating arrangement, while 455/8 with 2+3 is 137.1 tonnes.

German BR: BauReihe = Build Class, UK BR: Britith Rail. So a BR 450 Class means a British Rail 450 Class, a Desiro UK. Compare this with a DBAG 450 Class, which is a GT8-100C/2S.

The 455 is cheating, because it has only a single motor car, two driving trailers and an intermediate trailer, so the 40 tonnes comes from having half of the traction equipment and half of the traction motors. The japanese way of using married pairs get the same weight reduction without reducing the number of traction motors. This solution is also used on some of the NYC MTA subway stock.

The japanese way of using distributed equipment lead to the case when they want to move a dead train, they need 6 extra cars, so each end of the moved set needs a driving trailer, and a motor pair. The first for the control equipment, the second for the auxiliary power and the third for the brake system. With older trains a single kumoha or kumoya was enough on both ends, since they contained everything and you could even move the train with them without a locomotive.

Edited by kvp
German BR: BauReihe = Build Class, UK BR: Britith Rail. So a BR 450 Class means a British Rail 450 Class, a Desiro UK. Compare this with a DBAG 450 Class, which is a GT8-100C/2S.

If I know well there is no British Rail Class 450. When British Rail was alive or active, there was no Class 450 type EMU. English topic members will correct me if I'm wrong, but I always see Class 450 format in their magazines and books and never BR 450.

Yes, I know that Wikipedia use this format, but I have never seen it in for example Modern Railways magazine. Despite of this, you could be right.

Maybe on Wikipedia they are using to differ it somehow from other countries' trains.

Guest keio6000

You know ive lived in england for well over a decade and could not care less about the trains here :). All i know is that my local (which fortunately i rarely take) is a "class 365" that a) costs an arm and a leg and is frequently late b) is not available in n gauge.

• Like 1

Test train departing Hashimoto, and at Higashi Kanagawa:

An earlier movement, performance confirmation run, using the Yokosuka Line down track, passing through Yokohama Sta.

• Like 2

Reviving this topic to bring you a few pictures of the last 205 Series on the Yokohama line (H1編成). Headmarks, lots of nerds, lots of heat. Saturday will be her last run.

post-188-0-71230200-1408513650_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-01105500-1408513656_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-80651100-1408513658_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-45987300-1408513670_thumb.jpg

post-188-0-36220300-1408513674_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-82032000-1408513677_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-89195600-1408513680_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-80137100-1408513684_thumb.jpg

post-188-0-95566400-1408513687_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-51198300-1408513691_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-71466200-1408513694_thumb.jpg

Animated:

post-188-0-45594100-1408513719_thumb.gif

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 3

JR East is rapidly retiring the 205's because they're so hard-worked that it's cheaper to retire them than to refurbish them one more time. With the new E233's and soon E235's coming online, the days of the 205 (and soon 209) EMU's will soon be over in the Tokyo area.

Nice thanks Toni! Especially like the last animated pictures!

Time to retire the old lady... Haha at about the same time HS has restocked this: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10246582

Will that mean the last 205 series on service is now entering retirement? Or are there still 205 series in service on other lines today? I think the 205-1100 for the Tsurumi Line and the 206-600 for the Utsunomiya line and the Nikko Line are still in service?  

No problemo. The line is just 15 min. on foot from where I live and a few friends were out, so a good reason to snap the last 205 on the line anyway.

The 205s are still largely around on JR East lines, but not in the Tokyo Metropolitan area that much any more. I think the only two lines that serve into the Metropolitan Area are the Musashino and the Nambu line. Both lines still have a lot of 205s in service, some with newer, some with older fronts:

For the daily running setup, you can check this page (maintained by observing fans) for the whereabouts of the trains:

- Musashino line: http://loo-ool.com/rail/e233.cgi?guid=ON&a=M

- Nambu line: http://loo-ool.com/rail/e233.cgi?guid=ON&a=N

Next to those lines, there are the Nikkō/Utsunomiya (north of Utsunomiya), Tsurumi, Nambu Branch, Sagami, Hachikō/Kawagoe and Senseki lines on the JR East network where the 205s still operate. Most of the time with altered fronts, however the Y11 and Y12 have still the standard fronts on the Utsunomiya line. The 205s that were sold to Fujikyū also have retained the old front.

I think JR East intends to purge the 205 and 209 EMU's off the system as fast as possible, especially now that production of the E233-8000 models for the Nambu Line has started and E235 production is about to start. I expect an announcement very soon of (maybe) a modified E235 model to replace all the 209's on the Musashino Line probably starting in 2016.