Shinkansens

ChrisV

SubwayHypes

Wow alot of you guys got impressive shinkansen fleets!  There are easily tens of thousands of dollars worth of stock in this thread hahaha.

The only one i have is my 700 Nozomi series, its one of my smoothest runners, but its from KATO and i have seen complaints on here about the coupling.

I am thinking about selling it, PM me if interested, its the seven car set.  Im also willing to trade for any e231 stock or other regular commuters.

disturbman

me too, the 3 car Dr Yellow was embarrassing until I "upgraded" it

I didn't see this video before. Very nice. What do you use for editing?

I also like a lot the Furico sets. Color. Shape. Everything appeal to me in these trains.

Ash,

sorry but the 700 railstar and dr yellow are only tomix, no kato.

cheers

jeff

Cheers for the info on those mate, I'll grab the Tomix versions when Plaza Japan gets them back in stock  :icon_biggrin: :occasion14:.

Wow alot of you guys got impressive shinkansen fleets!  There are easily tens of thousands of dollars worth of stock in this thread hahaha.

The only one i have is my 700 Nozomi series, its one of my smoothest runners, but its from KATO and i have seen complaints on here about the coupling.

I am thinking about selling it, PM me if interested, its the seven car set.  Im also willing to trade for any e231 stock or other regular commuters.

SubwayHypes,

I have 2 full sets of kato 700s and they run fine and i have had no problem with the coupling. i have the tomix dr yellow 700 and its a wonderful runner also. its a bit cranky right now but thats due to it getting ALOT of running time over the years at shows (its one of the most popular trains to run).

it was the n700 that had very different coupling and running problems kato vs tomix. the kato n700 coupling is a tad tricky (but does look better with the articulated diaphragm between the cars) and it like to derail a lot on our kato double track viaduct. The tomix n700 has the standard two hinged flat diaphragms pieces (like most tomix shinkansens which some dont like the look of), but runs w/o problem on our double viaduct track. in addition the full tomix set has 2 motor cars and the big, big nice thing is the all wheel pickup that is shared through the coupler fingers. really makes this a wonderful runner!

so for the n700 i would definitely go tomix (i sold my kato!) but on the 700 ether seems great.

this is part of the Kato vs Tomix vs MicroAce debate. all have their strong and weak points, model differences, and personal needs and experience. Nothing for me has pointed to one being a huge difference over all for all my experience, preferences and needs between the three. for interesting things and higher detail its usually microace as the winner. for coupling with other shinkansens its tomix (although kato is trying to catch up here), for easy multi power car its tomix. so it goes on a model by model basis for me...

cheers

jeff

cheers

jeff

The 3-pc set is in stock but I really want a full 8 car set to buy, does anyone know any other online stores that accepts PayPal? As I don't really like entering sensetive info like credit card numbers over the web. Sticking on the topic, I am also searching for the Dr Yellow JR700 Shinkansen too :grin.

disturbman

HobbyWorld at www.HWJapan.com accepts PayPal payment and they have some Tomix 700 Series Shinkansen and a MicroAce Doctor Yellow but not the 700.

Thanks for the link mate, I'll look into that later :occasion14:.

Ash

East Midlands

United Kingdom

redracer: Thanks for putting me on the straight about the Shinkansen sets :grin. As for my location, I am about 12000+ miles west from Australia as I am in the UK up in the East Midlands about 45miles east from Nottingham and an hours drive from Lincoln. Though its very late here right now but I cannot sleep because its too hot and humid and most UK houses do not have air-con :sad:.

Cheers

Ash

East Midlands

United Kingdom

Not a single model train in any scale is prototypically correct ;)

Personally, I'm more concerned about overall aesthetics than a single detail here and there. I've learned to live with the compromises. If anything, the oversized wheel flanges bother me more than the couplers.

For me, Kato and Tomix are pretty similar with regards to detail. I have excellent Tomix models (EH500, DD51 and more) as well as great Kato models (EF58, M250), but I tend to think MicroAce is slighly ahead of both of them if it comes to detailing. MicroAce's steam engines especially are miles ahead of anything else, and they rival steam engines of Minitrix and Fleischmann while costing only 1/3rd of the price.

I would have to agree with Martjin on this. i have found that kato and tomix to be pretty interchangable in details and quality and running. at times i find that even though the large diaphragm connectors on tomix shinkansens might look a bit odd they do tend to work better overall than the kato counterparts. also with many of the tomix bullet trains having two power cars thats a feature i like.

Microace almost always seems to have a bit extra in details and modeling quality IMHO.

all and all they are all definitely in the same ball park in my book. There are individual differences that make certain models from one better than the others. take the n700, the kato is not a great runner, while the tomix with the all wheel pickup, two power units and a strong coupling mechanism really really shines as a runner!

This is one of those arguments that goes round and round and round! The amazing thing is that all three are great quality and very very high bang for the buck!

ok ill whip my list out...

800 Kato (full set)

N700 tomix (16 car)

700 kato (2x 16 car)

500 kato (16 car 2x power)

500 tomix (16 car)

400 tomix (new and old color full set)

300 tomix  (16 car)

200 aurora (3x 6 car)

200 micro ace (12 car)

100 tomix  (2x 16 car)

0-7000 tomix (6 car)

0-2000 kato (8 car)

0 kato  (16 car)

E1 Kato (12 car)

E1 Tomix (new color 12 car)

E2 tomix (10 car)

E3 tomix (Tsubasa and Komachi full sets)

E4 tomix (16 car)

922 microace Dr Yellow early 7 car

922 microace Dr Yellow 4 car

922 microace Dr Yellow 2 car

923 tomix Dr Yellow 7 car

you can tell i like shinkansens... dont show the list to my wife!

cheers,

jeff

Hi Jeff,

this is the result without wife

Gakken 0 series 5 cars (no more released)

Endo 0-1000 6 cars (no more released) in 6 single box

Endo 0-1000 6 cars (no more released) in complete box

Fulgurex 0-1000 6 cars in complete box (it's an Endo set only the box is different)

Kato 0-2000 16 cars (last released)

Kato 100-3000 V set 16 cars

Kato 200 12 cars (complete set)

Kato 500 16 cars x 2 (both old and new set)

Kato 700 16 cars x 2 (original and ambitious japan set 10-001)

Kato N700 16 cars

Kato 800 6 cars U2

Kato E1 12 cars (2 x 10-341obviously not the correct cars)

Kato E2 Asama 8 cars

Kato E2-1000 Hayate 10 cars

Kato E3 Komachi 6 cars

Kato E3-1000 Tsubasa 7 cars

Kato E4 8 cars

Kato 700T 12 cars (Taiwan Shinkansen)

Tomix 0-2000 16 cars (last released)

Tomix 0-2000 last run

Tomix 0-5000 12 cars Sk set

Tomix 0-7000 6 cars R set new color (green-grey)

Tomix 0-7000 6 cars 30 anniversary

Tomix 0-2000 6 cars gare de passage whit pins special set

Tomix 100 X1 small windows 7 cars (no more add cars released)

Tomix 100 last run

Tomix 100 X set 16 cars (last released)

Tomix 100 G set 16 cars (last released)

Tomix 100-7000 6 cars new color (green-grey)

Tomix 200 K set 10 cars (but not the correct cars because until now Tomix have never produced 225-400 car)

Tomix 200 E set 12 cars (note aurora is the same train, only the box change, see on top about 225-400)

Tomix 200-2000 H set 16 cars (but not the correct cars, 225-400 an one double deck)

Tomix 300 16 cars (but not the correct cars because until now Tomix have never produced 2 of green cars an more)

Tomix 400 7 cars x 4 new an old color (last released, the old is on sale....)

Tomix 500 16 cars x 2 (old and new set released)

Tomix 700-3000 16 cars

Tomix 700 Railstar 8 cars

Tomix N700-9000 Z0 16 cars

Tomix N700-3000 16 Cars

Tomix 800 U1 Kyosk

Tomix 800 U5 special set

Tomix 800 U3 regular set (that's amazing, 6 real sets and 4 reproduced in N scale Tomix+Kato)

Tomix E1 MAX 12 cars new color (aaargh!!!! I search the old color full set to complete my collection!!!!)

Tomix E2 Asama 8 cars (whitout nose coupler)

Tomix E2' Akita 8 cars old color

Tomix E2-100 Hayate 10 cars

Tomix E3 Komachi 6 cars x 2 (last released, the old is on sale....)

Tomix E3 Tsubasa 7 cars x 2 (last released, the old is on sale....)

Tomix E4 8 cars x 2 (both set 6+2 and 3+3+2)

Tomix 923 Dr.Yellow special set first released (box whit sample track)

Microace

0 prototype A set 2 cars

0 prototype B set 4 cars

0 series Hikari 12 cars first run (wooden box)

0 series Hikari 16 cars

0 series Kodama 12 cars

0 series Hikari 16 cars imperial set (white V below the nose)

200 12 cars F set

200-200 10 cars set

200-1000 10 cars set new color

200-1500 10 cars set new color

200-1500 K47 10 cars 25 anniversary

T2 Dr.Yellow x 4 sets (JNR and JR old and last released, the old is on sale.... ) 

T1 Dr.Yellow 4 cars

941 Emergency relief 2 cars

Craft WIN 350 resin kit

Craft Dr.Yellow T2 resin kit

if anyone know who I can find one Endo 200 box....(and maybe the false 200 box but it's really hard)

now I start to build myself the prototype that's been never produced and the particular train formation

(I post photos soon, it's an hard work ;-)

ciao

Massimo

Massimo,

Wow, very impressive! i fear i would no longer have a wife if my shinkansen collection reached that level! You have the advantage of being single there!

i have tried to stop at having the major representations of most of the models for fear it could be a deep spiral to try for them all!

i know i keep meaning to photograph all the boxes/cars just for insurance sake and have not gotten very far into it yet! scary when you start thinking of the $$$ sitting there on the shelves. let alone trying to replace them if ever lost...

cheers,

jeff

ps welcome to the group!

Massimo,

Wow, very impressive! i fear i would no longer have a wife if my shinkansen collection reached that level! You have the advantage of being single there!

Very impressive roster and I'm with Jeff, the wife would definitely notice a roster that big and might, just might has a few objections.  :hiding: But again, impressive roster.

Thanks Jeff, Thank's Bernard

another advantage of being single is that I can change bed when I want (and until now without pay) :grin

it's better I don't send you the list of all the other items until I make a big insurance

ciao

Massimo

p.s. I think that Rainbowten store love me

I think Rainbowten must celebrate with a company holiday that includes fireworks, dancing and a BBQ when you place an order, Massimo! :grin :grin

Very impressive roster and I'm with Jeff, the wife would definitely notice a roster that big and might, just might has a few objections.  :hiding: But again, impressive roster.

i try not to put all the train boxes out in one huge display ever for fear of dorothy seeing how many cases there are and then multiplying by $150... even hurts my head, but its nice to know they seem to be holding their value, better than buying nice cars  and watching the $20 fall off them or worse yet a boat...

cheers,

jeff

I think Rainbowten must celebrate with a company holiday that includes fireworks, dancing and a BBQ when you place an order, Massimo! :grin :grin

I have often wondered if the email systems at HS, HW, Rainboten, Plazajapan, have special little cha-ching sounds when our orders hit their email boxes!  :grin

cheers,

jeff

Hi Jeff,

this is the result without wife

Gakken 0 series 5 cars (no more released)

Endo 0-1000 6 cars (no more released) in 6 single box

Endo 0-1000 6 cars (no more released) in complete box

Fulgurex 0-1000 6 cars in complete box (it's an Endo set only the box is different)

Kato 0-2000 16 cars (last released)

Kato 100-3000 V set 16 cars

Kato 200 12 cars (complete set)

Kato 500 16 cars x 2 (both old and new set)

Kato 700 16 cars x 2 (original and ambitious japan set 10-001)

Kato N700 16 cars

Kato 800 6 cars U2

Kato E1 12 cars (2 x 10-341obviously not the correct cars)

Kato E2 Asama 8 cars

Kato E2-1000 Hayate 10 cars

Kato E3 Komachi 6 cars

Kato E3-1000 Tsubasa 7 cars

Kato E4 8 cars

Kato 700T 12 cars (Taiwan Shinkansen)

Tomix 0-2000 16 cars (last released)

Tomix 0-2000 last run

Tomix 0-5000 12 cars Sk set

Tomix 0-7000 6 cars R set new color (green-grey)

Tomix 0-7000 6 cars 30 anniversary

Tomix 0-2000 6 cars gare de passage whit pins special set

Tomix 100 X1 small windows 7 cars (no more add cars released)

Tomix 100 last run

Tomix 100 X set 16 cars (last released)

Tomix 100 G set 16 cars (last released)

Tomix 100-7000 6 cars new color (green-grey)

Tomix 200 K set 10 cars (but not the correct cars because until now Tomix have never produced 225-400 car)

Tomix 200 E set 12 cars (note aurora is the same train, only the box change, see on top about 225-400)

Tomix 200-2000 H set 16 cars (but not the correct cars, 225-400 an one double deck)

Tomix 300 16 cars (but not the correct cars because until now Tomix have never produced 2 of green cars an more)

Tomix 400 7 cars x 4 new an old color (last released, the old is on sale....)

Tomix 500 16 cars x 2 (old and new set released)

Tomix 700-3000 16 cars

Tomix 700 Railstar 8 cars

Tomix N700-9000 Z0 16 cars

Tomix N700-3000 16 Cars

Tomix 800 U1 Kyosk

Tomix 800 U5 special set

Tomix 800 U3 regular set (that's amazing, 6 real sets and 4 reproduced in N scale Tomix+Kato)

Tomix E1 MAX 12 cars new color (aaargh!!!! I search the old color full set to complete my collection!!!!)

Tomix E2 Asama 8 cars (whitout nose coupler)

Tomix E2' Akita 8 cars old color

Tomix E2-100 Hayate 10 cars

Tomix E3 Komachi 6 cars x 2 (last released, the old is on sale....)

Tomix E3 Tsubasa 7 cars x 2 (last released, the old is on sale....)

Tomix E4 8 cars x 2 (both set 6+2 and 3+3+2)

Tomix 923 Dr.Yellow special set first released (box whit sample track)

Microace

0 prototype A set 2 cars

0 prototype B set 4 cars

0 series Hikari 12 cars first run (wooden box)

0 series Hikari 16 cars

0 series Kodama 12 cars

0 series Hikari 16 cars imperial set (white V below the nose)

200 12 cars F set

200-200 10 cars set

200-1000 10 cars set new color

200-1500 10 cars set new color

200-1500 K47 10 cars 25 anniversary

T2 Dr.Yellow x 4 sets (JNR and JR old and last released, the old is on sale.... ) 

T1 Dr.Yellow 4 cars

941 Emergency relief 2 cars

Craft WIN 350 resin kit

Craft Dr.Yellow T2 resin kit

if anyone know who I can find one Endo 200 box....(and maybe the false 200 box but it's really hard)

now I start to build myself the prototype that's been never produced and the particular train formation

(I post photos soon, it's an hard work ;-)

ciao

Massimo

Nice fleet of Shinkansen's there buddy, I currently have 2 HST's in N gauge which is a JR100 Sanyo/Tokaido set and a RENFE AVE100 in the new AVE "Operadora" livery. I am going for a JR700 Hikari Railstar full 8-car set next and then I will get the Kato JR700 Nozomi 16-car set afterwards :grin.

Cheers

Ash

Thats not a fleet its an empire!!! :laugh:

Are they just for collecting or do you plan to have a 1000 track storage yard to show them off!!!! :laugh:

no (until now..)

sorry....but if you need photos about my models let me know (soon I try to put a lot in gallery)

(sorry again for my bad english)

Massimo

no (until now..)

sorry....but if you need photos about my models let me know (soon I try to put a lot in gallery)

Massimo

Massimo you English is fine don't worry! (It's a lot better than my Italian and a close friend of mine lives in Treviso and will tell you how bad it is. I once ordered a pasta dish with extra tractor.)

no (until now..)

Massimo

Massimo you English is fine don't worry! (It's a lot better than my Italian and a close friend of mine lives in Treviso and will tell you how bad it is. I once ordered a pasta dish with extra tractor.)

he's near me, only 50Km far (I live in Pordenone, near Aviano USAF NATO Air Base - 14 Km)

if you come around...let me know!

ciao

Massimo

Is that in the North or South of Italy?

north-east, in "Friuli Venezia Giulia" region, border whit Austria and Slovenjia, 70 Km far to Venezia (Venice) search "Pordenone" or "Friuli" on maps.google.com and zoom out a little bit ;-)

ciao

Massimo

The THSR 700T (Taiwan High speed Rail)seems to be quite rare. I received the full 12-car set a few weeks ago. The set is sold only in Taiwan or sometimes on ebay. At the moment they are available from the company that ordered the sets from KATO. Nice hobby shop with fast service. If anyone wants to order the set let me know.

You can see my 700T on youtube in less than perfect picture quality... I always have a fight with myself: buy a better camera or buy a new train set.... the outcome is alwys the same....

One of our club members has one of the full 700Ts and we run it on the jrm layout now and then. very nice looking train with the orange! it is pricy though! i was tempted for a while, but there were too many other trains i wanted and i could get over 2x the japanese trains for the price. i still get tempted!

hey get the train set, youll probably not notice the camera upgrade that much, but will always notice a new train on the layout! camera features get cheaper so fast just wait a few months!

cheers

jeff