Shinkansens

ChrisV

Most tomix stuff is made in china now

Not true. Most Tomix stuff is now actually made in Japan. At one point, everything was being shifted to China, but my latest model (N700-3000) came from Japan. In any case, it doesn't matter anymore. All of Microace's stuff comes from China, and the level of detail and smoothness is either on par or or in most cases, surpasses that of Tomix. The diaphragms on Tomix models might look strange, but when the train is moving, it really makes no diff. MA probably has the best look on a straight, but in a curve, the Tomix models look better. The other issue with MA Shinkansen is the inconsistency in the gap between trains - there's just too much play in their coupling system.

Sushi Train

The diaphragms on Tomix models might look strange, but when the train is moving, it really makes no diff.

Sorry but if I spend 200 bucks on a train I want it to look prototypical thank you very much, not look like some kind of toy. We are model collectors and modellers so it must look as close to the original as possible, Tomix don't seem to get this where as Kato and MA do.

Martijn Meerts

Not a single model train in any scale is prototypically correct ;)

Personally, I'm more concerned about overall aesthetics than a single detail here and there. I've learned to live with the compromises. If anything, the oversized wheel flanges bother me more than the couplers.

For me, Kato and Tomix are pretty similar with regards to detail. I have excellent Tomix models (EH500, DD51 and more) as well as great Kato models (EF58, M250), but I tend to think MicroAce is slighly ahead of both of them if it comes to detailing. MicroAce's steam engines especially are miles ahead of anything else, and they rival steam engines of Minitrix and Fleischmann while costing only 1/3rd of the price.

Martijn Meerts

That will still cause problems. Because if things should look as close to the original as possible, Fine Track or Unitrack won't do, and you'll have to use Peco track, but then you need to lay the sleepers manually, because the default Peco ones have wrong spacing. Manually laying track is quite "possible", but takes a lot of time ;)

There are plenty other examples too. I'm not saying it's bad to want the models to look close to the original, but the world of model railroading is a world of compromises, and many modelers have a different idea about what they want detail wise. So saying "We are model collectors and modellers so it must look as close to the original as possible" is a bit ambitious ;)

look as close to the original  [glow=red,2,300]as possible[/glow]

Sushi Train

That will still cause problems. Because if things should look as close to the original as possible, Fine Track or Unitrack won't do, and you'll have to use Peco track, but then you need to lay the sleepers manually, because the default Peco ones have wrong spacing. Manually laying track is quite "possible", but takes a lot of time ;)

There are plenty other examples too. I'm not saying it's bad to want the models to look close to the original, but the world of model railroading is a world of compromises, and many modelers have a different idea about what they want detail wise. So saying "We are model collectors and modellers so it must look as close to the original as possible" is a bit ambitious ;)

look as close to the original  [glow=red,2,300]as possible[/glow]

[glow=red,2,300](The trains)[/glow] look as close to the original as possible

Not a single model train in any scale is prototypically correct ;)

Personally, I'm more concerned about overall aesthetics than a single detail here and there. I've learned to live with the compromises. If anything, the oversized wheel flanges bother me more than the couplers.

For me, Kato and Tomix are pretty similar with regards to detail. I have excellent Tomix models (EH500, DD51 and more) as well as great Kato models (EF58, M250), but I tend to think MicroAce is slighly ahead of both of them if it comes to detailing. MicroAce's steam engines especially are miles ahead of anything else, and they rival steam engines of Minitrix and Fleischmann while costing only 1/3rd of the price.

I would have to agree with Martjin on this. i have found that kato and tomix to be pretty interchangable in details and quality and running. at times i find that even though the large diaphragm connectors on tomix shinkansens might look a bit odd they do tend to work better overall than the kato counterparts. also with many of the tomix bullet trains having two power cars thats a feature i like.

Microace almost always seems to have a bit extra in details and modeling quality IMHO.

all and all they are all definitely in the same ball park in my book. There are individual differences that make certain models from one better than the others. take the n700, the kato is not a great runner, while the tomix with the all wheel pickup, two power units and a strong coupling mechanism really really shines as a runner!

This is one of those arguments that goes round and round and round! The amazing thing is that all three are great quality and very very high bang for the buck!

ok ill whip my list out...

800 Kato (full set)

N700 tomix (16 car)

700 kato (2x 16 car)

500 kato (16 car 2x power)

500 tomix (16 car)

400 tomix (new and old color full set)

300 tomix  (16 car)

200 aurora (3x 6 car)

200 micro ace (12 car)

100 tomix  (2x 16 car)

0-7000 tomix (6 car)

0-2000 kato (8 car)

0 kato  (16 car)

E1 Kato (12 car)

E1 Tomix (new color 12 car)

E2 tomix (10 car)

E3 tomix (Tsubasa and Komachi full sets)

E4 tomix (16 car)

922 microace Dr Yellow early 7 car

922 microace Dr Yellow 4 car

922 microace Dr Yellow 2 car

923 tomix Dr Yellow 7 car

you can tell i like shinkansens... dont show the list to my wife!

cheers,

jeff

I agree, don't show the roster list to the wife....but somehow they know.  ;)

The Tomix N700 has 2 motor cars so I guess if you went DCC you would have to have them linked together. (Like the American long freight trains in DCC)

Also is there a big difference in design between the 700 and the N700?

Welshbloke

I have the older Tomix 500 series, and the Kato 700 series.

The snag is that I bought the Tomix one as a three car base pack (it wasn't too expensive, I liked the look of it, and I wanted a shinkansen). I've since found it almost impossible to get the other coach packs and single coaches to extend the set. I've only managed to track down the other motorised coach, so I'll end up with a four car shinkansen with twin motors!

I must get around to the other coaches for the Kato set, as that's currently in four car base form at the moment. The snag is that four extra coaches for that aren't as tempting to me as, say, the Tomix "Twilight Express" or "Cassiopeia" base packs.

I was very close to buying the Micro Ace 2-car "Dr Yellow" set last year but missed it by a day or so, now sold out everywhere. This set was converted into a recovery unit from one of the prototypes.

Claude_Dreyfus

As you would guess most of the differences are internal, however the most apparent difference are the headlights. The N700 has slits - similar to the 100 series - on the nose, whereas the 700's lights are more centrally postitioned, under the drivers window. Similarly, the window design on the carriages is different - the N700 look to be slightly smaller and more rounded.

I have the older Tomix 500 series, and the Kato 700 series.

The snag is that I bought the Tomix one as a three car base pack (it wasn't too expensive, I liked the look of it, and I wanted a shinkansen). I've since found it almost impossible to get the other coach packs and single coaches to extend the set. I've only managed to track down the other motorised coach, so I'll end up with a four car shinkansen with twin motors!

I must get around to the other coaches for the Kato set, as that's currently in four car base form at the moment. The snag is that four extra coaches for that aren't as tempting to me as, say, the Tomix "Twilight Express" or "Cassiopeia" base packs.

I was very close to buying the Micro Ace 2-car "Dr Yellow" set last year but missed it by a day or so, now sold out everywhere. This set was converted into a recovery unit from one of the prototypes.

Me too! I bought the Tomix DR Yellow Shinkansen but now need the add on set - I think I may have found one but it would be prefered to have the whole set first time around :-\.

I agree, don't show the roster list to the wife....but somehow they know.  ;)

The Tomix N700 has 2 motor cars so I guess if you went DCC you would have to have them linked together. (Like the American long freight trains in DCC)

My wife knows my list also - I so don't hide things well these days!!

Welshbloke

It really does seem to be a case of needing to buy all the packs in one go. Tomix also seem to make far more of the base packs than they do of the add-ons - Hobbysearch for example still have the basic loco and two coach packs for the Twilight Express and Cassiopeia trains, but none of the extras (a standalone Sushi 24 for the Twilight Express aside).

I'd still like both, if the £ ever improves against the Yen. At the moment I've restricted overseas purchases to things that complete an existing train and aren't likely to be available forever, such as the other Tomix 500 series coach.

One thing that I have noticed about the Tomix locos in general - if they run roughly and growl, check the bogie gearing. On my EF81-300 there was no lubrication at all in there. I added a tiny blob of Tamiya grease in each bogie and ran the loco for about 30mins in each direction to make sure it reached all the gears, the noise pretty much disappeared and the loco runs a lot cooler. I have heard about "frictionless gearing requires no lubrication" but all I can say is that this one seems much better with a dab of grease!

CaptOblivious

It really does seem to be a case of needing to buy all the packs in one go. Tomix also seem to make far more of the base packs than they do of the add-ons - Hobbysearch for example still have the basic loco and two coach packs for the Twilight Express and Cassiopeia trains, but none of the extras (a standalone Sushi 24 for the Twilight Express aside).

I'd still like both, if the £ ever improves against the Yen. At the moment I've restricted overseas purchases to things that complete an existing train and aren't likely to be available forever, such as the other Tomix 500 series coach.

On the contrary: At least some of the add-ons are being re-released this month!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10050585

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10050587

Still would need add-on set B, but hey, that's most of a train! And Set B can't be too far behind…

Welshbloke

Yep, but they're for the newer version. My 500 series is the old 92082, and probably going to be a "funsize" shinkansen for the rest of its life. Oh well, with two motorised cars for four coaches it should never have a problem with inclines!  ;D

Does anyone have both this and the newer version, and if so could they compare the two? I realise that Tomix added extra glazing, but I could easily do that with mine if the colours are right and use the later add-on packs to build up the train. I'm just reluctant to order anything that I can't return easily if it turns out that it doesn't quite match, and I know precise colours do get changed between production runs.

As you would guess most of the differences are internal, however the most apparent difference are the headlights. The N700 has slits - similar to the 100 series - on the nose, whereas the 700's lights are more centrally postitioned, under the drivers window. Similarly, the window design on the carriages is different - the N700 look to be slightly smaller and more rounded.

Um... Or the fact that the N700 tilts... At least on the prototype and the Kato model.

Um... Or the fact that the N700 tilts... At least on the prototype and the Kato model.

the tilt on the kato is pretty minimal. we could not get the kato n700 to run on the jrm kato double viaduct loop for more than a couple of loops before it derails. we do have a S curve in there that might be making it uncomfortable, but it was mainly derailing coming out of the 180s. that was on the outside track would not go on the inside track on the layout. never tried it with just a plain loop of kato double viaduct to see if it would run ok. the tomix ran like a charm on the JRM viaduct, even on the inner loop! the 16 wheel pickup is fantastic. the diaphragms are not as nice as on the kato, but having the train not derail every couple of loops is way more important in my book. I ended up selling the kato n700 and going to the tomix.

added benefit of the all wheel pickup on the tomix is at shows the track slowly gets dirty over the weekend an many trains will stutter between track cleanings, but the tomix n700 never did!

cheers,

jeff

Okay here is the deadly question, has anybody converted the Tomix N700 to DCC?

It sounds like an interesting train to purchase but I have to admit with my success ratio I've had with Tomix and DCC, I'm a little iffy about it.

Okay here is the deadly question, has anybody converted the Tomix N700 to DCC?

It sounds like an interesting train to purchase but I have to admit with my success ratio I've had with Tomix and DCC, I'm a little iffy about it.

Not here, but i dont see why it should be any harder than others to do so. all wheel pickup just gives you a better source of power to tap into! havnt had to pull it apart to see how they isolated the motor on the n700, but i expect its pretty much the same as other tomix shinkansens.

I can tell you the running is night and day with my experience between the two. we tried hard for an hour or two a couple of times to get the kato to run well and no luck. our kato viaduct track is not a challenge for almost all our other 16 car shinkansens...

cheers,

jeff

Just looking at Hobby Search and the N700 is sold in 4 separate sets, the basic 3 car set then set A, B, & C.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/601/0/1

Which set A, B, or C has the extra motor car and do you need all 4 sets to complete the train?

full 16 car si all 4 sets. its set C that has the motor car im pretty sure as thats the one thats $20 more than the other 5 car set A.

cheers,

jeff

alpineaustralia

All this talk of Tomix vs Kato vs MicroAce is academic for me (and dare I say, Bernard), given that a $200 train that doesnt work on DCC isnt worth a cracker (other than as a shelf ornament).

Personally, I have sworn never to buy Tomix again after the trouble I have had running them on DCC.

I have had to pull them apart so many times that small plastic tabs and other parts have broken just to get them to run.

One of my Tomix trains will only run in one direction.

Having said this, I only run DCC and so I may not have made these comments if I was running DC.

Sorry to bump this topic.

I am slowly building a fleet of Shinkansen trains although the only one I currently have is the JR100 Tokaido/Sanyo four car unit made by Tomix that I bought a couple of years ago and I have yet to build up my fleet. The next Shinkansen I am after is a JR700 Hikari Railstar full 8 car set and a JR700 "Dr Yellow" 7 car set. I have seen the Tomix versions about from Plaza Japan (I use this guy all the time to buy my Japanese N gauge stuff) on eBay, but does anyone know if there is any Kato versions available of these sets in N gauge?

Cheers

Ash

East Midlands

United Kingdom