Running 16 Car Shinkansens

ChrisV

Gordon, now you're making me jealous.. I don't have any space to even put up a simple loop =)

Hey Martjin,

Do like what HK and Japan do, raise it up on the ceiling with pulleys so that it can come down when you want to play it!

Martijn Meerts

Don't even have room for that. My "living quarters" are small even for Japanese standards ;)

We run 16 car shinkansens all the time on jrm and for the most part they run well on our temporary kato unitrak setup. when we do have a wreck it can be spectacular! my tomix n700 runs fantastically. the all wheel pickup make it run very smoothly, never seem to become uncoupled. we are all flat though it could be the beginning and end of elevations, those can be real problems on some couplers.

My 16 car series 0 (kato), 100 (tomix), 300 (tomix), 500 (tomix and kato), 700 (two sets kato), n700(tomix), full E2/400 (tomix) work fine.

the only real problem children are

- the 16 car E4 (tomix) this may be due to a couple of the diaphrams being a bit tight, im trying to lube them some to see if this helps.

- 12 car E1 (kato) horrible coupler system that really tips the cars on curves even on the kato double viaduct.

- 16 car n700 (kato) this just cant make our double viaduct loop for more than a few laps w/o wrecking. it definitely cant take the inner of the two tracks. this looks to be due to the kato diaphragm/coupling system. glad i sold mine!

it is wonderful to have the space to really see long shinkansens running. we built the jrm shinkansen line around the basic need to have a 4 track, 2 platform station that could hold complete 16 car trains. really looks great to have the train fit all the way in the station!

cheers,

jeff

Bernard - Yes I'm building a train shed. I've started a thread in the projects section, don't want to hijack this one.

Don't even have room for that. My "living quarters" are small even for Japanese standards ;)

Martijn

T gauge! an empire in a tiny space!

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Martijn

T gauge! an empire in a tiny space!

cheers

jeff

Hmm... Bit difficult to use dcc in those, and I hear they're quite bad with dusty rooms =)

Hmm... Bit difficult to use dcc in those, and I hear they're quite bad with dusty rooms =)

well if you could just get the plain dcc chip and solder on your own micro leads you could do it with ease. motor only takes up about 40% of one end of the car. but you need two decoders for a 4 car train!.

but seriously its a great way to have a small loop and play with some scenery or do some small modules and have a point to point that snakes around that you can pop together on a table. just pop them into small boxes to store and keep the dust bunnies away.

i am amazed what you can do in a tiny space and its fun. folks flip when they see the trains running. they do 2-3% grades with little slowing. the transformer has a reversing system built into it too!

$100 gets you a 4 car train, reversing transformer and a loop of track! you can make buildings out well paper model buildings.

cheers,

jeff