Running 16 Car Shinkansens

ChrisV

Just a question to those who model Shinkansens....

How many people actually attempt to run a 16 Car Shinkansen ? To me its seems incredibly long and for the average N Scale layout you would be talking HO size layouts to really let them stretch their legs.

This reason I'm limiting myself to 7-9 car sets so I can enjoy them on smaller layouts. What do others think ?

Plus a 16 Car set ( n700 ) retails at almost AUD500.00 !!! :o

SONIC883_de

I have a 16 car Nozomi 500, overall lengh 2,5 meters. The train run on our temporary club layouts. It is impressive! when you have a chance to run trains in those lengh DO IT!

http://picasaweb.google.com/kpernau/IGNippoNTreffen20072#5115925721549965970

On my personal layout I drive up to 8 cars (so I buy trains with a maximum lengh of 8cars) because my layout has an overall lengh of 3 meters, that doesnt look really good.

Claude_Dreyfus

If you can...do. I currently have full length 0, 300 and 700 series set, which have all had periodical full length running. Obviously most layouts are not big enough to accomodate one of these...they are very long, however I am one of those who must have a complete length of any train I own...even if it takes me years to eventually complete it (although there are limits - a Eurostar 4-car add-on now costs more than the original 8-car powered set  :o)...

A full-length 700 series is one of the most impressive things you can get in N Gauge.... ;D

alpineaustralia

I run an Kato E2 shinkansen (8 car) + an additional (4 car) add on set  and it is far more realistic and fun than 8 cars on their own.

Actually a 16 Car N700 set would look awesome  - maybe not on my layout though.

There is some pretty amazing footage of n scale sets snaking their way thru some layouts on youtube.....

I think the 16 car E4 Max looks probably the best when you see the 2 end power cars coupled together in the middle cars!

Claude - Which 700 series do you have, Tomix or Kato and how does the motor car handle the full set?

I have to admit I don't have the full set of the 500 or 700, the 700 set w/7 cars just fits into my yard. I do have the Thunderbird full set and that is impressive especially since the coupling for the additional 4 set is unique.

Martijn Meerts

I have a 16-car 0, 100, 200, 500 and n700, as well as a 16-car M250 container train. I can't run them yet, but that'll come ;)

As for space requirements.. A decent train station for 16-car trains with several turnouts both heading into and out of the station so trains can switch to various tracks etc. will take about 4-5 meters of space =)

Claude_Dreyfus

It's the Kato 700 set, powered very nicely by the motor situated in one of the 'green cars'. The carriages have very little drag on the bearings and the carriages are fairly light, so shifting them is not too taxing for the motor.

This Bullet has particular significance to me as the base 4-car set was purchased whilst I was in Japan last year, from the Daimaru store in Kyoto...we had travelled down from Tokyo to Kyoto in a 700 series a couple of days previously.

Claude_Dreyfus

I have a 16-car ..... M250 container train. I can't run them yet, but that'll come ;)

I am waiting delivery of one of those...very excited  ;D

I do, however, rather fear it has been caught up with customs at Heathrow  :(

Just a question to those who model Shinkansens....

How many people actually attempt to run a 16 Car Shinkansen ? To me its seems incredibly long and for the average N Scale layout you would be talking HO size layouts to really let them stretch their legs.

This reason I'm limiting myself to 7-9 car sets so I can enjoy them on smaller layouts. What do others think ?

Plus a 16 Car set ( n700 ) retails at almost AUD500.00 !!! :o

We run 16 on the JRM layout. It is interesting to note that the layout is like 28' give or take, but we have about 15' of straight, twelve of it station, and the 16 car trains take up all of it, espeically the 500's. I think Roomd also runs 16 cars on his home layout.

I run the full set of T700 from Kato for the Taiwan High Speed Rail 台灣高速鐵路.  I found that it can be derailed quite easily if it is going thru curve full speed.

As for long train, it is fun running them if you have long enough track but the derailment part can be quite annoying too!

Kato TGV on the other hand can run even on the most abuse track, I think it got to do with the shared boogie technology in model and in real life?

Yes, the shared boogie technology makes TGVs very sturdy and reliable in real life. They don't crumble and hardly derailed. But, if you are interested I think you can check wikipedia on the subject. I bleieve they have a thorough article about accidents involving TGVs.

I agree - the derailment aspect might be annoying. Its interesting that there would be no speed limitations due to sheer length of the train.

Also a 16 car platform would be a monster!!! :o

SONIC883_de

We havent much problems with derailment on our temporary layout - most withe the new N700 because the couling isn't the best one (must be the Tomix with the long tounghs as couplers).

My old Kato Nozomi 500 runns pretty well. One time I forgot that the train only run on >=R315. Minimun Radius was R280. No problem, no damage after one day usage

Here a video of a N700-16car (last IG nippoN Meeting)

SONIC883_de

"Einen hab ich noch" - I have one video more.

Dr. Ys Modular Layout with selfmade(!) code 55 track. Runs good without derailments

EDIT: Other long trains are impressive, too. Same layout - other train

Okay, It is not prototypical that a shinkansen and a fright train run on the same track. Forgive me!  ;D

Kia - Now you've add a flood of questions. He made his own code 55 track and he combined it with Unitrack? Do you know if it was difficult to remove the code 80 from the ties or did he just use the viaducts and totally replace the rails?

SONIC883_de

in front he has a mixture of selfmade and peco code 55, in the back it is tomix. the viaduct is selfmade, too

Claude_Dreyfus

The M250 is a great train, but installing a decoder in the thing is difficult =)

I've got it now  ;D Looking forward to having a play....

SubwayHypes

I saw a 2 set, 16 car Grand Hikari old school tomix go last night on ebay for around 160, was that anyone on here who grabbed it?  I was gonna bid around that price but i am trying to save my money for some buildings and houses instead

Some real nice trains here but it is making me jealous. I'm still building the shed to house the layout and only have two 16 car trains.  :'(

When I run them on the lounge room loop it looks like a dog chasing it's tail. Now please excuse me while I go back to my layout dream.  ;)

Gordon - Did you say you are building a shed to house your future layout? If so, how big do you plan to make it and please start a thread on it's construction! ;)

Martijn Meerts

Gordon, now you're making me jealous.. I don't have any space to even put up a simple loop =)