Long train vs shorter trains; Looks and practicality

David

What size formation do you think is practical for room sized N scale layout  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What size formation do you think is practical for room sized N scale layout

• Less then 5 car (rural)
    • 5/6 car (Attachment formation)
    • 7/8 car (Express / short commuter)
    • 10 car (Full commuter)
    • 15 car (Full 10+5 commuter)

What about some freight?? EH200 and tank cars or EH500 with KoKi's?, me I run 10 KoKi's and 12 Tankers, my most numerous is 16 WAMU wood chip vans,

An EH200 or two EF64s on a rake of 21 container flats. Now that's a sight to behold, if it'll fit!  :grin

I think it needs to be long enough so that you can just couple the front of the loco to the last car.

• Like 1
harukablue

What about some freight?? EH200 and tank cars or EH500 with KoKi's?, me I run 10 KoKi's and 12 Tankers, my most numerous is 16 WAMU wood chip vans,

An EH200 or two EF64s on a rake of 21 container flats. Now that's a sight to behold, if it'll fit!  :grin

Even better in HO  :grin

Martijn Meerts

At Miniatur Wunderland when I was there, they had an American freight of around 15 meters long (3 loco's up front, 2 more in the center somewhere), as well as a large freight with 2 big boys heading it. Quite a sight :)

Personally, I love long trains, but they have to make sense. I don't run long trains for the sake of running long trains, and if I had to make a choice between long trains on a layout that's really not big enough for them, or short trains on a great layout, I'd go for the short ones. (I do have plenty long trains though, and I really do prefer running prototypical trains, especially the shinkansen)

Been away a while.. but going to try to be back a bit now... just wanted to way-in on this one. 

I'm with Martijn, they have to make sense.  I'm going to have a good amount of space for a layout when I move

but would rather see 8 car trains "disappear" in the landscape that 16 car trains occupy all the visible space, I guess thats a consideration too,

so although I'll have about 14'x8-10" to play with, I'm going to stick to 8 car trains, or loco + 5/6 or so.

Graham

Guest Closed Account 1

At train shows I have to compete with 150 car American consists.

Running 16 car bullets down a 40 foot passing straight at full speed to pass these slow moving monsters is fun.

On the 12x16 train museum layout, running up to 10 makes sense. I have no problem running a 6 piece TGV.

At home I run the locos just to keep them running smooth. Usually run the cab cars so the motor car doesn't look lonely.

Run whatever you think looks good.

rpierce000

I keep trying to explain to my wife that we need to build a new layout room under that new house thing she wants. If she wants a 40 by 40 house, fine. I can stick a 40 by 60 layout room under it, NO PROBLEM. Of course we would have to make room for the computer room, fish tanks, power, root cellar, radiant heat, well pressure tanks, and all the other "unsightly" things that suddenly fit in the "basement" that was my layout room. There is still a 14 by 16 room in there, but 40 by 60 sounded SOOOO cool!  Imagine the runs!  (Imagine the Tomix bill, I can hear the splashes from my wholesaler salivating from here....)

I keep trying to explain to MY wife that we need to build a new house !!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Martijn Meerts

The problem is, no matter how much space you have, you never seem to have enough :)

The problem is, no matter how much space you have, you never seem to have enough :)

That is really true, but we all love it.