Storage cases for Tomytec

Nick_Burman

Nick_Burman

Hi all,

My Tomytec train collection has grown to such a size that keeping track of all those "candy boxes" has become a nuisance. I would like to consolidate everything into a single place, such as a "train book" (like the ones Kato train sets come in). Any suggestions? Tomy made train books for each collection, however my Tomytec equipment is from 2-3 different collections, I doubt if it will fit all into one box.

Cheers NB

Nick_Burman

For the Tetsudo collection, just about any case from any manufacturer will do; they are, after all, just normal length train cars. Having said that, Casco makes cases that maximize interior storage space:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10128769

Thanks Clem, I was thinking about them. However I have both 12 and 15m cars and although it would be easy to find one for the 15m cars, it would leave the 12m ones bouncing around loose... not nice, considering that some of the cars were hard-won...

Cheer NB

You get the foam that goes into the inserts, so you can the pieces from that to make the insert smaller (the Casco and Kato foam cuts cleanly). However this doesn't address the smaller distance between the trucks, you may need to cut a spot for the shorter truck to go.

Krackel Hopper

Thanks Clem, I was thinking about them. However I have both 12 and 15m cars and although it would be easy to find one for the 15m cars, it would leave the 12m ones bouncing around loose... not nice, considering that some of the cars were hard-won...

The foam cutouts for the Casco sets are not one solid piece.  Each available spot has multiple pieces of foam.  You remove the amount you need to fit your car.  They're also cut in such a way ("T" & "S" shaped) so no matter what size you use, the foam still has cutouts for the couplers to fit.

http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig12/10128771a2.jpg

For instance, if you look closely at the photo for the 12 car case, you can see each available spot has foam cut into 3 pieces, with a "T" piece in the middle.  Also, this foam comes with a "peel & stick" back.  So if all you need is the "T" shape, you can peel and stick it to the exact space you need.

• Like 1

You'll need to look at the photos for each Casco case (if the case photo doesn't show it, just look for the bare insert with the same number, the insert usually has photos showing the pieces) - the way the inserts are cut (if they are cut at all) varies from one type of case to another. At least one of the mini-book cases has very interesting cutouts that allow it to either store 5 20m cars, or store 8 short boxcars and a locomotive. The Casco cases for Koki container cars have most of the inserts as 2 pieces (for either a loaded or unloaded car) except for the last 2, which are 3 pieces cut to allow Koki cars with a brakemans cab at the end.

• Like 1

deluxe innovation also has cases. cardboard with foam

http://www.deluxeinnovations.com/products/UnitPak_Boxes.html

Bleh.. Am I the only one that hates Deluxe Innovations' cases? They look so cheap compared to the durable and classy Japanese cases. Even the interior foam... Where it's just cheap packing foam compared to the high density foam that were used to. I usually see Amtrak Superliner sets in these and cringe. Plus they don't fit on a bookshelf. Thumbs way down from me hehehe...

Have to agree with you Clem, they do look pretty silly next to Japanese cases!

Jeff

the kato cases are good and u can get em seperete easily

i have a key-ku set (kato kit that i got back 10years ago in standard 4

car case which was like $8 and still are about that price rage)

the insert fom or form can be cut to the shape which i did for my train

(pantographs, etc) tomix, kato, or casco .... either are good

exept fot the foam / insetr stuff..... :)

We have some nice GreenMax cases we just got in. Lovely colors and the foam inserts pop out for a large variety of car shapes.

We just got these in so we do not have pictures and pricing up yet, so I have to show it to you on HS:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10148209a/20/1

If this is something you would like to get your hands on they are about $24.32 plus shipping from Seattle.

Bob Pierce

bob@bttrains.com

BT Trains

gonna check  em  when i get to Shibuya next month

found a big trai store not far off the station....

gonna see if they gonna be close to the kato

(hopefully can fit my metrolinks and coaster bi-levels)

(hopefully can fit my metrolinks and coaster bi-levels)

The stock Kato/Tomix case foam inserts will not fit any North American passenger rolling stock; the cars are too long. The only way to make them fit is to either cut the ends of the foam, or buy the Casco 8 car 25m foam inserts (meant for Shinkansen) or just buy the Casco 8 car case to being with. My Bachmann Acela fits perfectly in these inserts. I haven't tried the Athearn Bombardier cars (I suppose I should!), but I have tried Kato Superliners. Lengthwise they fit, but just ever so slightly too short height-wise, so that by the time you reach the 8th Superliner, it doesn't fit anymore as the rest of the foam is distorted and narrowing the last slot.

i think i might just go with the kato 10-212 case same as my other train

case10-210b.jpg

the height of the case for 3 car Metrolink set (2 coach, cab and the f59,  its old  dc old set)  (4 cars is bit too long for me )

case10-210.jpg

gonna need to cut the insert a bit but for 3 cars and loco will work fine ( i think)

After much procrastination I decided to finally deal with the storage case problem...bough a pair of Casco "Mini" cases. Nominal capacity is 7 cars but can take more by rearranging inserts. Worked wonders - now I could chuck those 'orrible Tomytec "sweet boxes" into the bin and clear a ton of space in the shelves...

Cheers NB

post-321-13569928791329_thumb.jpg

post-321-13569928792473_thumb.jpg

post-321-13569928793469_thumb.jpg

Ok never mind... The Bombardier cars do NOT fit in the Casco 8 car 25m foam. They are too fall. They are the perfect height for my Tomix E4, but the Bombardier cars are just slightly taller. Length is good though!

i must admit i love my caskets, but this style of cardboard case does make things a real cinch to put cars out and away. one of our members is now using one of these for all his container cars. he can whip out a 20 car train in like 2 minutes... would take much longer from the old bookcase caskets. they also hold a lot, although they are a bulkier size to deal with for storage. also no fiddling with inserts at all and most everything nestles in quite well.

jeff

i must admit i love my caskets, but this style of cardboard case does make things a real cinch to put cars out and away. one of our members is now using one of these for all his container cars. he can whip out a 20 car train in like 2 minutes... would take much longer from the old bookcase caskets. they also hold a lot, although they are a bulkier size to deal with for storage. also no fiddling with inserts at all and most everything nestles in quite well.

Good point... But I not involved in any shows LOL so I can take my time, admire them from different angles while pulling out, etc...

But the those the HO case seems to appeal to me. It's a real pain to put in/remove my HO Kato EF65. I always cringe when I put it back in cause it's so darned heavy and the styrofoam cut out in the box just perfectly fits the loco.

After purchasing and filling the CASCO cases, now I have a small problem...what do I do with the spare inserts? Store them, throw them away?

Cheers NB

After purchasing and filling the CASCO cases, now I have a small problem...what do I do with the spare inserts? Store them, throw them away?

Cheers NB

Nick,

LOL its the same problem of what to do with chopped off figure legs!!! i have a big plastic bag full of them as well. ive almost chucked them a few times but then thought i may need to do something special in the future with a case, but then again ive never done that and the bag as been growing for like 5 years now...

jeff

LOL its the same problem of what to do with chopped off figure legs!!! i have a big plastic bag full of them as well. ive almost chucked them a few times but then thought i may need to do something special in the future with a case, but then again ive never done that and the bag as been growing for like 5 years now...

N scale shoe store??

LOL I have big box full of those Casco foam inserts and it's growing!!! Smells really funky too.