Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

KATO has it as an August release for the Sunrise 285’s on their schedule release website.

post-559-0-65943300-1470203890_thumb.jpg

Edited by linkey

Extract from Ami email:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for shopping at AmiAmi.

We would like to kindly inform you that your order includes items that have
had a change in release date. The applicable items have been separated to
new orders if required.

Orders containing only in-stock items will be invoiced shortly. Please
understand that it may take up to several days depending on the number of
orders awaiting processing.

Orders that contain pre-order items will be invoiced after all items in the
order have become available and are ready to be shipped.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your kind understanding and patience.

PLEASE NOTE: It may take some time for these changes to be reflected on your order history page
so please do not be alarmed if the orders are not immediately displayed on our website.

Available in: Aug-2016
Order Number: 718978164
<Item Name                                        | Unit Price | QTY | Total >
-------------------------------------------------------------------
(In-stock)Tetsudou Collection - Hitachinaka Kaihin Railway Katsuta-eki Hatsu! Nekketsu Duema Train | 1,350.- | 1 | 1,350.-
(In-stock)The Bus Collection - Local Bus Noritsugi no Tabi Part.4 (Hakodato - Soya Misaki Hen) | 2,260.- | 1 | 2,260.-
(In-stock)National Bus Collection (JB033) Engan Bus | 900.- | 1 | 900.-
(In-stock)National Bus Collection (JB034) Mie Kotsu | 900.- | 1 | 900.-
(Pre-order)11-221 LED Room Light Clear 285 Series for 7 Cars | 3,300.- | 1 | 3,300.-
(In-stock)Diorama Collection Building Collection 146 City Type Restaurant A | 2,260.- | 1 | 2,260.-
Payment method: Credit card
Shipping method: EMS

Available in: Sep-2016
Order Number: 718978163
<Item Name                                        | Unit Price | QTY | Total >
(T)(Pre-order)10-1332 285-0 Series (Sunrise Express) 7Car Set | 14,550.- | 1 | 14,550.-
Payment method: Credit card
Shipping method: EMS

Based on the topo map, I'd say the curved segments are in the 5-10 degree range.

The problem is the Kato sections are 15 degrees. Otherwise it's doable as (3)+3+6+3+2+(1), which is at least more or less symmetric but it could really use the same radius ground curves instead of the bigger ones.

The problem is the Kato sections are 15 degrees. Otherwise it's doable as (3)+3+6+3+2+(1), which is at least more or less symmetric but it could really use the same radius ground curves instead of the bigger ones.

Flexitrack should be able to do it. :)

• Like 1
Gordon Werner

2016_12.png

2016年12月・2017年1月

12月
New
■165系 急行「アルプス」
●10-1389 8両セット 22,600円+税
JR東日本商品化許諾済
昭和50年、165系全盛期!
・急行「こまがね」(既発売)と併結して12連フル編成が可能。
・153系からの改造車、TR59台車が特徴のサハシ165 50を新規作成。
・新規作成のサロ165は、一段下降窓とバイザー、回送運転台を再現。
●急行「アルプス」
←新宿  松本・南小谷→
クモハ165-66 + モハ164-813P + サロ165-42 + サロ165-39 + サハシ165-54 + クモハ165-72 + モハ164-819-M-P + クハ165-70

New
■急行「アルプス」用事業用車
●10-1390 3両セット 9,000円+税
・クモニ83 800…昭和43年改造の後期形、パンタグラフ1基、側窓R無し
・クモヤ90015…昭和47年までの原形3枚窓、シルヘッダー、霜取りパンタグラフ有
冬のアルプス10号を完全再現!
夜行アルプス、新聞輸送を担い、急行幕のスカ色の荷物電車クモニ83-800を2両連結して、松本を目指す。
松本4:44発、大糸線初電となるこの列車には、冬場限定で、霜取り用のクモヤ90を連結。
信濃森上からは普通列車となり、南小谷へ。
●急行「アルプス10号」
←新宿  松本→  南小谷→
クモニ83-816P + クモニ83-817P + クモハ165-66 + モハ164-813P + サロ165-42 + サロ165-39 + サハシ165-54 + クモハ165-72 + モハ164-819-M-P + クハ165-70 + クモヤ90015P(松本-南小谷・冬季のみ)

New
特別企画品
■東急電鉄 5050系 4000番台 <Shibuya Hikarie号>
●10-1294 10両セット 25,000円+税
東京急行電鉄株式会社商品化許諾申請中
・斬新な車体ラッピングを美しく再現。
・日立製HRB504形クーラー新規設定
・ダイヤ改正前のヘッドマーク付を再現
・黄色いアンテナ台座を再現

New
■(HO)クモハ40
●1-422 15,500円+税
■(HO)クモハ41+クハ55
●3-503 2両セット 21,000円+税
JR東日本商品化許諾済
両軸駆動の動力ユニット採用
HOゲージ旧形国電、両軸駆動の動力ユニットで登場!
・R370カーブ通過可能
・前照灯は電球色LED
・前面サボ受け新規設定
・サボ/行先表示シール付属

1月
New
■E257系<あずさ・かいじ>
●10-1274 7両基本セット 17,400円+税
●10-1275 4両増結セット 9,600円+税
JR東日本商品化許諾済
・強化形に換装されたスカートを再現
・ヘッドマーク・シールに「中央ライナー」「青梅ライナー」を追加
・編成番号は、M107・M204編成で新規設定
・ライトユニットLED化

10月
New
■サウンドカード<ACS-64 電気機関車>
●22-203-3 2,800円+税

• Like 3

Shibuya Hikarie! I knew Kato was going for more variants of the Tōkyū 5000 Series! Now it's only a matter of time when they'll do the Den'entoshi and Meguro line variants. Maybe there will also be hope for a Yokohama Minatomirai Y500 Series.

The Sound Box ACS-64 also looks interesting, as this is the first electric sound module to be released. It think when this works out, I suspect Kato will release Japanese oriented EMU sound modules as well.

didn't they already release the E231/E233 sound module already?

Well, seems like I've not been giving this feature ANY attention:

Shibuya Hikarie! That is interesting! Too bad I already have the GreenMax one... An upgraded E257 Asuza is interesting too..

Hey that open pit and buffer are interesting.  The buffer is probably most common across Japan.

003001.jpg003002.jpg

Edited by katoftw

Could you please explain what the track is used for? And where is the buffer mostly used?

Hey that open pit and buffer are interesting.  The buffer is probably most common across Japan.

003001.jpg003002.jpg

Edited by Sascha
  • Like 1

Question 1:- Open pit in maintenance sheds.  So workers can work on the underbody parts at standing height.

Question 2:-  End of rail lines.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

This is the cheapest buffer type, when the workers just curve up the end of the rails and add a sleeper and an end of track marker table. It could catch most cars regardless of buffer type or if there is one at all.

• Like 1

There's something for everyone amongst the new Kato releases...

■(HO)クモハ40

●1-422 15,500円+税

■(HO)クモハ41+クハ55

●3-503 2両セット 21,000円+税

Woo Hoo!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

That Kato product is only a poor simulation of an inspection pit, and wouldn't fool anyone - unless they're half blind.

If you want something realistic, go with this German product.  Or, the Peco version - which is no doubt easier to obtain in some parts of the world.

http://tinyurl.com/hoxsg2s

If using UniTrack, you may not even need to dig into your baseboard.

Although - any facility having this would likely have a concrete floor level with the rail top, at least on the outer sides from the pit.

Edited by velotrain

There's something for everyone amongst the new Kato releases...

■(HO)クモハ40

●1-422 15,500円+税

■(HO)クモハ41+クハ55

●3-503 2両セット 21,000円+税

Woo Hoo!

Cheers,

Mark.

Interesting! Do you know anything about these prototypes, Mark - where they ran, how late they lasted, etc?

• Like 1

Here is a quick intro to inspection tracks / pits.

The first two images show more traditional pits, with only a walkway below the rails.  One has the rails raised above the floor, but my belief is that this was found to be a tripping hazard, so the surrounding work area was later brought level to the top of the rail on the non-flange side.  The two pit models that I mentioned are of this type, and the modeler can choose how to treat the floors.

gallery_941_192_108695.jpg

gallery_941_192_126566.jpg

Later it was found desirable to also have access outside the wheels, so the rails were supported on concrete columns, with aisles on the outside - not dissimilar to the classic cathedral design.  This is the style rather poorly represented by the Kato model.

gallery_941_192_60913.jpg

Another option was to elevate the rails above the floor, with or without a pit in the middle.  This provided side access without the aisles in the pit.

gallery_941_192_389281.jpg

More contemporary facilities provide access at multiple levels, as shown in these examples. 

Roof level access is provided for trams and EMU's.

gallery_941_192_39451.jpg

gallery_941_192_33504.jpg

• Like 2

I think the new inspection pit looks pretty good considering they had to work within the Unitrack height envelope.

Gordon Werner

NGI has posted lots of great prototype pics ...

011001_2.jpg

Vol.1 - https://goo.gl/photos/BXNVa5cSLbvA5hg3A

東急電鉄5050系4000番台<Shibuya Hikarie号>
14系15形寝台特急「あかつき」 スハネフ15
14系15形寝台特急「あかつき」 オハネ15

101001.jpg

Vol.2 - https://goo.gl/photos/i7sHHTHdQoYqDzoi9

289系「くろしお」
EF70 1000
ED75 700
781系
HB-E300系「リゾートしらかみ」(青池編成)
20系寝台特急「日本海」 ナハネフ20
20系寝台特急「日本海」 カニ21
285系<サンライズエクスプレス>(ライト部新規)
開放ピット線路186mm(仮称)
車止め線路D(仮称)

• Like 2

Interesting! Do you know anything about these prototypes, Mark - where they ran, how late they lasted, etc?

Ken, I don't know much about them, the best online source in English I've found about these cars is this:

http://homepage3.nifty.com/EF57/r.museum/kumoha40.htm

I have a small fleet of the original versions of these models. Their appearance, detail and performance are all very good. Judging by the description of the new versions they will be even better. I may have to get a few more... :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Ken Ford, on 07 Aug 2016 - 4:54 PM, said:

snapback.png

Ken, I don't know much about them, the best online source in English I've found about these cars is this:

I may not be Mark, but I might be able to provide some additional information.

The KuMoHa40/41 and KuHa55 type cars were part of the MoHa40 (after 1959 known as the 40 series) type commuter EMU class built between 1932 and 1943. They where First introduced to the Ōsaka metropolitan area in 1932 and starting with the 1935 production batch  in the Tōkyō area as well, before and during the pacific war they represented the main, 20m, commuter classes in both areas (together with the smaller MoHa42 (42 series) and similar MoHa51 (51 series) classes).

The 40 series, because of its long production run, saw a large number of aesthetic changes during her 11 year production run, and was perhaps the class that best represented the shift in design taking place during the early Shōwa era in Japan. The first production batches featured a flat front, similar to the front used by the 17m class, MoHa33 (later 33 series) built at the same time for the Tōkyō metropolitan area. Starting with the second production batch of 1935 the shape of the front was changed to a semi-streamlined design (Hanryū, or half streamlined), though other design features stayed the same as the earlier batches (they still spotted composite wooden roofs and half cabs at both ends of the cars (similar to American stock of that period) for example). The second 1935 batch can be best described as a transitional design, and the 1936 batch following it introduced another number of changes, including the switch from wooden roofs to steel examples, and the introduction of the full with cab. The second 1935 batch was also the last batch to contain any (Ku)MoHa40 type cars, as production switched to (Ku)MoHa41, and from the 1939 batch onward to the improved (Ku)MoHa60 type cars.

Though it would go too far to describe every single change the 40 series experienced during her long production run (nor can I name them all from the top of my head (nearly every batch contained at least some changes)) I think it is important/interesting to look at the changes made during the late 1930's and early 40's.

As the Shōwa era progressed, the military campaign in China rapidly escalated to an all out-war in 1937, and the continuously increased demand for resources by the ever more prominent military, further changes where demanded in the construction of railroad equipment, the most important being a reduction in the material needed for construction (initially steel, later copper also became a major focal point). As a result further changes to the 40 series design where implemented. Starting with the 1938 production batch, the material used for the single leaf passenger doors was changed from metal alloy back to wood, The 1939 batch saw the introduction of the electrical welded car body as opposed to the riveted construction used until then, while the 1940 batch saw the re-introduction of the composite wooden roof. All of these changes could also be found on the other series built during the same period (51 series and the late war designed 63 series, while the post war 70, 73(both former 63 series cars and new-builds, minus "all-steel' variants of those designs built in the late 1950's (70-300, 72-920 and 80-300 sub-groups) and 80 series where still built with wooden composite roofs for example).

After the end of the pacific war, and during the allied occupation of Japan, the surviving 40 series cars played an important part in the resumption of passenger services in both the Kantō and Kansai areas, Together with the 51 series and 63/72 series they would continue to play their role for commuter services in both regions. A number of 40 series cars where modified for more specialized roles during this period and thus found their way into the 51 series.

The 1953 vehicle format regulations amendment changed comparatively little for the 40 series with the exception of the renumbering of a number of cars, as well as the reclassification and modification of a sub-group of (Ku)MoHa41 type cars into (Ku)MoHa61 type cars (more powerful traction motors, MT15 to MT30), and didn't touch the remaining (Ku)MoHa40 type cars.

With the 1959 vehicle format regulations amendment, and therefore the introduction of the "系"  kanji (referring to 'system' in this case) to describe main series as well as the addition of the current car classification system (for example the addition of the syllable 'Ku' for motorized control cars (previously they were simply designated as a MoHa type car regardless of the availability of a control cab. KuHa was used, but only for trailer cars with a control cab. After the 1959 regulations change motorized ordinary cab cars would be designated as 'KuMoHa' type cars, as well as other changes in the numbering system). After the regulations where implemented, the MoHa40 class was now known as the 40 series, though members of this class could be found in formations with other pre-war series across the country, hence the car type designations (e.g. KuHaNi67 or KuHa55 type) being the preferred method of recognition after 1959.

With the introduction of the 'new performance' classes of trains in the late 1950's and early 60's (starting with the 101 series  in 1957, though she was classified as the MoHa90 type before 1959) and especially after the introduction of the 103 series in 1963 and the 113 series in 1964 the older 'getaden' classes where slowly driven away from the primary commuter and suburban lines in The Kantō area (and presumably the same happened in the Kansai area).

A few of the modified former KuHa55 (KuHa55 to KuHaNi67900 conversions) and KuHaNi67 (KuHanI67 to KuHaYuNi56 conversions) type cars found their way to the Iida line with some of them surviving until the end of the 'getaden' era on the Iida in 1983. Others were transferred to less important lines around the Tōkyō metropolitan area (the site Mark linked to has a good overview of the situation in 1976, though this unfortunately only contains the remaining KuMoHa40 type cars, not the other cars in the same series) while I'm not sure when they were retired from the Kansai region though to be honest. The bulk of the remaining 40 series cars were scrapped between 1964 and 1983, with the last of the remaining KuMoHa40 type cars leaving in 1986 (scrapped in 1987).

Now, to the actual matter at hand:

Based on the photo they show on their site, the Kato model seems to be of one of the second 1935 production batch cars (actually the first car of the batch, if the number Kato shows is the correct one). They don't provide any additional information or pictures on KuMoHa41/KuHa55 combo *no numbers I could find at least). The photo they show is of KuMoHa40061, A Tōkyō metropolitan area version of the KuMoHa40 type cars (there where small differences between the Ōsaka and Tōkyō area cars). As she is clearly marked as KuMoHa40061, it is fair to say that she can only be used after 1959 due to the 1959 vehicle regulations amendment changes. Her sporting a PS13 type pantograph as opposed to her original PS11 also dates her to the post war period. She also seems to be sporting her original single leaf doors with split windows, The earliest photo I could find of KuMoHa40061 showed her in 1962 with the two piece windows already replaced by a single piece window fixed in H-rubber (J.N.R. modernized the majority of their surviving 'getaden' cars throughout the late 50's up until the 1970's, replacing wooden roofs with steel versions, incandescent bulbs with fluorescent lighting fixtures leaky wooden window frames with H-rubber versions etc.), so that would place the Kato model in the late 50's very early 60's at its latest.

Now If you don't care about tiny details like that (I personally wouldn't go that far in terms of purism), she was used on the Ōme line until the series was retired from that line in 1978 together with the 72 series cars they ran in tandem with.

http://kokuden.net/mc53/sub.htm/sub40/sub40-40/sub40-40.htm

Has a number of excellent photos of the 40 series on various lines throughout the mid 1970's, including a number of shots on the Ōme line.

Anyway, I hope this information is of use to you (or anyone else for that matter). 

Edited by 200系
  • Like 6