Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

serotta1972

So I guess they should be old stocks... I would like to see 227 being released by Kato too, since it will then have closer couplers and printed details... But I will probably knock my head if they did since I just got the Tomix one ~~ 

Yeah, didn't you just get the Tomix 227.  I'm waiting for Kato to make a 227, it only seems logical since they have the  221, 223, and 225.  I actually don't have any fairly modern Tomix commuter trains, I don't like the finish on their stainless steel or aluminum - it looks grainy to me, my little quirk.

The 223-2000 cannot be old stock if they are re-releasing it.

Good point. I think i'm confusing between re-releasing, new release of an old model and clearing old stocks.

Clearing old stocks - would mean the stocks are available now and clearing it?

Re-releasing - Re-release of a certain model, bearing exactly the same item code and no changes made whatsoever from the core model; i.e. this one 10-536 and 10-385 Haruka

New release of an old model - Re-releasing an old model, but with new features and a new item code; i.e. the 285 series Sunrise Express 10-1332/ 1333

Yeah, didn't you just get the Tomix 227.  I'm waiting for Kato to make a 227, it only seems logical since they have the  221, 223, and 225.  I actually don't have any fairly modern Tomix commuter trains, I don't like the finish on their stainless steel or aluminum - it looks grainy to me, my little quirk.

Yeah me too... I was thinking about the 227 for a long time, hopping for Kato to jump into the boat too since they already have the 221, 223 and 225... But the recently released photos of the finished product of the 227 tempted me so much I jumped in to get it....   :(

Das Steinkopf

The 223-2000 cannot be old stock if they are re-releasing it.

10-536

10065187a.jpg

Looks like you could expand on your Otsu layout with a bit of the JR Tokaido Mainline traversing it.

• Like 2

I already have a 321 series.  So not hard in that extent.  I have also been trying hard not to buy any JRW or JRE commuters, cos it will cause a bad slippery slope I cannot afford right now. haha

I stopped the Otsu layout in its current form.  It was to trial scenery techniques etc, then others posted up their photo planks/boards, and I thought that would be a better way to trial scenery.  The layout is not dead, just paused in its current form.

Edited by katoftw

I was thinking about the 223-2000 too, but I realised that I already have a 223-2000 in a 4-car formation, and also a 225-0 in a 8-car formation. So this allows a 225 to be coupled with the 223. That said, it defeats the purpose of getting a 8-car 223-2000 unless I want a 12 car 223 or a 12 car 223 + 221 formation, which I don't really fancy cause the layout cannot handle a 12 car....   :(

Das Steinkopf

I was almost tempted to build a layout based on Shinomiya with the Tokaido Mainline in the background, the fact there is only two models of the 800 Series available sort of put me off as I would have a very empty yard other than per way stock, plus I kind of got intimidated with how much JR West stock I would need to get. I still have plans to make a small Otsu based layout though, I am thinking of doing a section of the line running up to Kamisakaemachi, I think one of the main things that attracted me to the Keihan Keishin was watching the trains run up and down the street.

I ran my C50 for the first time today.  Whisper quiet and probably the best slow speed train I have.  Crawls so slow with no jerkiness.

And speaking of Otsu.  I did put together my railway daughters 700 today.  Useless fact of the day. haha

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1
Das Steinkopf

Hankyu 6300 Kyo Train?

hankyu6300.jpg

That is one slippery slope I am glad I haven't gone down yet, I was very tempted to pick up a Kato Hankyu 6300 when I was in Tam Tam Hobbies last year, it is the only occasion in my life where my wife has offered to buy me a train and I knocked it back, I was very tempted but I knew where it would lead me. Edited by Das Steinkopf

I'm tempted also.  VERY tempted.  I've been attempting to hold back on JRW and JRE commuters and Hankyu commuters.  But if this release from Kato/Roundhouse is a limited edition.  Then I'm gonna have to ride that slippery slope sooner than late.

I have this idea of a shelf point to point.  Where one end is Arashiyama, and the other end it central Kyoto.  Using Randen rolling stock above ground, and Hankyu rolling stock above ground at Arashiyama end and underground at Central Kyoto end.  Oh the stupidity with projects I can never start and/or finish.

So Randen-Arashiyama and Hankyu Arashiyama stations at one end of the shelf layout, with Shijo-Omiya and Hankyu-Omiya stations at the other end of the shelf layout.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

I'm tempted also.  VERY tempted.  I've been attempting to hold back on JRW and JRE commuters and Hankyu commuters.  But if this release from Kato/Roundhouse is a limited edition.  Then I'm gonna have to ride that slippery slope sooner than late.

I have this idea of a shelf point to point.  Where one end is Arashiyama, and the other end it central Kyoto.  Using Randen rolling stock above ground, and Hankyu rolling stock above ground at Arashiyama end and underground at Central Kyoto end.  Oh the stupidity with projects I can very start and/or finish.

So Randen-Arashiyama and Hankyu Arashiyama stations at one end of the shelf layout, with Shijo-Omiya and Hankyu-Omiya stations at the other end of the shelf layout.

I really like your layout idea ; would love to see it done !

Welshbloke

Something I've just spotted today - Unitrack inspection pits/ash pits (20-015). 186mm long, you get a pair of single tracks.

Are these common in Japanese depots servicing EMUs or do they use jacks instead? The blurb on HobbySearch implies that it would more commonly be found in steam sheds.

• Like 1

I would like to add that if you only want to look under an emu/dmu, then a pit is faster than jacking it up car by car. Modern pits however tend to be indoors. The real inspection pits tend to be deeper than two steps though, so anyone installing it might want to cut off the bottom and sunk the pit into the baseboard. (as an outdoor ash pit, its depth is ok, you just have to weather it)

Welshbloke

Yep, I thought that. But this will still look better in the modern sheds than plain track with sleepers IMO. Just ordered a pair from a random ebay seller to go with the engine shed I ordered earlier.

Guest keio6000

Definitely getting the eidan chiyoda 6000. Now, heres to the great hope that kato will modify their tooling and make a 7000 and 8000 too. The good news is that its probably likely they will eventually.

Ochanomizu

Hello,

So sorry, but if you read the link you will read "Model Products 500 Type EVA" and "N GAUGE" in quite large letters ... its right above this image:

241d2f_bea1ed5105444ca3884c11f8cd523f6f~

Also, the body text twice refers to " ... 50年のNゲージ製造の歴史の中でも類を見ない方法が選択されました。"  This is part of a paragraph of text which, to paraphrase, reads along the lines of "Especially impressive is the top of car printing and painting process, which is a first for the professionals at Kato Precisions Models and unprecedented in 50 years of N gauge production."

This is, of course, terrible news.  For I had not budgeted for a ¥30,000 shinkansen this year.  Now I must save money and cancel latest sake order!

Ochanomizu

Further,

・鉄道模型のパイオニア、KATOが贈る「500 TYPE EVA」

・実車の新幹線500系を1/160の世界で再現。特徴的な先頭部の造形は実車さながらのリアリティです。実車のカラーガイドから忠実に、またリアルに塗装再現。従来品よりも光沢感があり、立体的に仕上げます。

・1号車と8号車は特に難易度が高い流線型の塗装・印刷を、Nゲージ製造50年の技術をフル活用し再現。

・コラボレーション製品にふさわしい特別仕様パッケージ。パッケージデザインは実車の500 TYPE EVAをデザインした山下いくとによる特別描き下ろし。

・実車同様8両編成セットとなり、先頭車両はLEDライトを使用したヘッドライト・テールライトを組み込み済み。線路とコントローラーがあれば鮮やかに点灯いたします。

・中間車には動力(モーター)が組み込まれているため、別売りの線路とコントローラーを揃えば走行も可能!

・リアルな連結面間隔で、よりスマートな印象に。

・台車は実車に使用されているWDT205台車を再現し、新幹線特有のディスクブレーキを新幹線電車用車輪で表現。

・全長(8両)は約1295mm。走行時の曲線線路は最小通過範囲R315。

I used the Google Translate:

- Model railroad pioneer, KATO is give "500 TYPE EVA"

- The vehicle of the Shinkansen 500 system reproduced in the world of 1/160. Modeling of the characteristic top part is the actual vehicle just like the reality. Faithfully, also painted realistic from the actual vehicle of color guide. Than conventional products there is shiny, and finish in three dimensions.

- The first car and the 8 car, especially the degree of difficulty is high streamlined coating and printing, full advantage to reproduce the N gauge manufacturing 50 years technology.

Collaboration special specification package appropriate to the product. Package design down special draw by and Iku Yamashita who designed the 500 TYPE EVA of the actual vehicle.

· Vehicle same with 8-car train set, the lead vehicle is already built-in the headlights, tail lights with LED lights. It vividly lit if there is a line and the controller.

· Because the intermediate wheel power (motor) is incorporated, traveling also possible if justified the line and controller sold separately!

· Realistic connecting surface interval, to a more sleek.

· Truck reproduce the WDT205 truck that has been used in an actual vehicle, express Shinkansen specific disk brake in the Shinkansen train for the wheels.

Total length (8 cars) is about 1295mm. Traveling at the time of the curve line minimum passing range is R315.

:P

• Like 2

That's great news! Especially the part on the special 'draw by and Iku Yamashita who designed the 500 TYPE EVA of the actual vehicle.' package for it!  :)

• Like 1
Ochanomizu

Hello JR500,

I pre-order from Loco1Hobby already .... ;)

Not even on Loco1 webpage yet ... :P

I must not miss this model.