Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Then you will have 4 pantographs in a 16 car train... Looks strange...

The W sets had T collectors, while the V sets have normal pantographs. If the new models come out with normal single arm pantographs, that means an 8 car V set.

And let's not forget the 0 series with 1 pantograph for each 2 cars. (a classic all motors emu setup with married pairs)

• Like 1

It's the first I've heard of these.  If the price is less than a non-DCC turnout and a decoder they might save a bit of wiring.

Any idea what this part of HS's translated description means? "with a safety feature that turns off at the time of vertical One bad!"

So power routing is disabled by default and the #6 switches have leds showing the direction:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91jOFksmCOL._SL1500_.jpg

(you just have to wire each led between one stock rail and the frog with a reverse protection diode and current limiting resistor)

I've also found this:

http://auctions.c.yimg.jp/images.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/image/ra173/users/6/7/2/9/hokutosei2001-img194x600-1450166644etpsgt17932.jpg

(the latin lettered part of the label reads: Kato Custom Shop 29-554 DCC-N #6)

ps:

I think the matching Tomix part is Tomix 0112 LED Direction Indicator, which not only shows the route, but in analog can also show the direction. (unfortunately it's much larger and needs a piece of straight track behind the turnout)

this makes me tempted to switch track system

Why would you do that? It's rather easy to disable the power routing on Tomix turnouts for DCC operation and they are cuttable, so if you manage to run through a switch while it's set against the route, you won't get a short. The Kato #4-s can do the same, but only if you disable frog power, which isn't a good idea for shorter motor units. The indicator lights are just a nice add on, but doesn't look really prototypical, while the same can be set up (and easily removed) with the Tomix indicator light inserts.

Hello,

I think the Kato turnout with integrated decoder is an excellent idea.  If I was starting from scratch it might be enough to sway me.  Unfortunately, I use DCC with Tomix track.  My investment in Tomix is too great to contemplate changing ... ever !!!

Imho for a serious fixed layout, underboard turnout decoders with a separate dcc feed is much better. Imho a track powered turnout decoder with leds shining in the trackbed is more for floor running play layouts than for modeling.

With separate decoders you can also power them from a separate bus to the track power which is a better way to go, I'm just guessing but I suspect that the decoder will get its power from the track to make it a stand alone unit suitable for Japanese style temporary floor layouts.  I'm also making an educated guess that the decoder will be a Digitrax DS51K1 considering Kato's association with them, and they sell for around $12 U.S. so if you're looking at a #4 (without the indicator lights) that comes to $38 against around $48 that HS are asking for the DCC turnouts.  Not really cost effctive unless you really need them.

• Like 2

Hello Mr westfalen,

Your detailed analysis is much appreciated as it provides the logic to reinforce my decision to go with Tomix track all those years ago.

• Like 1

You'll have to keep checking the Kato website nearer to release as they tend to add an Assy part PDF to the product information. HS usually have the Assy part info on their pre-orders pretty punctually too.

I doubt Kato will remould the interior to allow newer parts to be interchangeable on older versions.

The new LED lighting kit for the E26 Cassiopeia coaches are well designed to fit into the older style bulb mounts for the old lighting kit. Looks like the 285系 coach lighting has had a similar update.

I'm not so sure if this is the one, but I reckon it should be... Anyhow I have already pre-ordered mine ~

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10379036

Marklin have been offering point decoders (and motors) which clip into the trackbed for a few years now, also a lantern which indicates the direction selected. It's good for temporary layouts but gets expensive quickly, especially at their prices!

The Kato TGV Lyria has been released, and Hobbysearch finally has photos of it.  http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10362799

One pleasant surprise is that unlike the TGV releases from a few years ago (Thalys, POS, etc) that were packaged in styrofoam, Kato has decided to use their green book-style packaging.  This means that the TGV Lyria box is smaller and easier to ship (24.2 x 19.3 x 6.4 cm / 1006g) than older TGV boxes; the model should also be better protected from damage. 

serotta1972

I too am pleasantly surprise that Kato used their traditional book cases and I've noticed they've been doing that more with their new foreign releases.  I wished they would make a book case for the Amtrak Superliners, they have book cases for the Amfleet cars.  Aside from easier shipping, it's also easier to store and access when you want to run your trains.  

Mine is on its way!  :)

warnerj01

I too am pleasantly surprise that Kato used their traditional book cases and I've noticed they've been doing that more with their new foreign releases.  I wished they would make a book case for the Amtrak Superliners, they have book cases for the Amfleet cars.  Aside from easier shipping, it's also easier to store and access when you want to run your trains.  

Same here. I have seen the kato book cases sold on some websites, but none are listed for the Superliner cars. Does anyone know which bookcase version works with the Superliner cars?

Kato does offer train set cases for individual sale..  Several sizes are available on HS.

serotta1972

Hi Bill, unfortunately Kato doesn't sell any that would fit Amtrak Superliners. I suppose you can get modify and do some cutting to make them fit.

2016_9.jpg

They're bringing back the 221 and 223s... I wonder why...

The 221 is probably old stock that now is being shifted to starter sets in an attempt to move more units.

The 223 is interesting.  Is it a new 8 car set or combined set?  My Japanese is poo poo.

A search on the article number of the announced JR West 223 series model results in a model released back in 2008, so I guess it's either clearing old stock or a re-release of the old model.

Edited by Densha

It's also the 223-2000 series, which is quite old as compared with the newer 223-6000 series which both Kato and MA have released:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10254311

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10262168

So I guess they should be old stocks... I would like to see 227 being released by Kato too, since it will then have closer couplers and printed details... But I will probably knock my head if they did since I just got the Tomix one ~~