Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Any one else thinking why release Taki 1000 8 car set B, why not set A? 

Because those people who bought set A will probably buy set B. While those who didn't, just get the new set. A rerelease would only be bought by those who missed the first one.

Das Steinkopf

Any one else thinking why release Taki 1000 8 car set B, why not set A?  It is not like set A is still available.

I have already placed a preorder for it, given I have only recently got into Japanese N gauge I am really happy that they have rereleased this set, I wish in hindsight that I had got my JRF bug when I was in Tokyo but at the time I was only focused on the Keihan Keishin Line, even then I think that was a case of opening Pandora's Box in that I am now hooked. One thing I have found difficult is being able to source contemporary JRF rolling stock, I have been able to source a reasonable number of Koki's but there are some sets that are far more elusive than others and I am not prepared to pay the ridiculous price that some resellers are demanding.

I too have caught the Taki 1000 8 car set B and have pre-ordered 2 of them to make it as an actual freight runner. It would be interesting if KATO does re-release the Taki 1000 8 car set A and how it would work out if I got two sets of them, would need a fuel depot and multi sidings for them :)

Not sure if this was covered in another post, but was wondering if the upcoming re-release of the Eurostar is expected to include any changes from the previous model - especially the couplers!

Guest Closed Account 1

Not sure if this was covered in another post, but was wondering if the upcoming re-release of the Eurostar is expected to include any changes from the previous model - especially the couplers!

What didn't you like about the coupler?

So far, the changes are body numbers and brighter LED's.

I have never had a Kato-Lemke Euro Bullet train uncouple during its trip.

It's those scissor-like couplers used on the Eurostar sets. Attaching them requires a considerable amount of force to fully couple the "teeth" and I always fear I'm going to break them when I attempt to uncouple them. Kato recommends lifting up on one end of the train to exert enough force to release the coupling mechanism, but I find this doesn't work too well for me and I have at times resorted to using a fine pick to pry apart the couplers.

It's a two state button, when pushed, it keeps the signal red, when released it allows the signal to cycle through its steps.

150821_kato_new05.jpg

(the usage pattern is to keep the signal red, then allow the green aspect, then after the first car has passed and the signal falls to red, switch it back to permanent red, somewhat awkward, but usable)

Martijn Meerts

Well, hello there JNR era blue train ..... I wasn't supposed to be buying a lot of new things :)

• Like 1

Just found this on Kato website:

http://www.katomodels.com/pdf/313-1700_body.pdf

It seems it's something to do with the newly released Kato 10-1287 313-1700 series, something about a wrong printing on the body shell... I goggle-translated but couldn't make heads and tails of it, and it was more on instructions as to where and how to get the replacement body shell...

Wonder whats wrong with the markings...

The error in question is:

セット内のモハ 313-1702 の車両ナンバーおよび半自動ドアスイッチが間違った仕様の印刷となっています

The number on Moha 313-1702 and the semi-automatic door switches are printed incorrectly

Regarding the 313-1700 3 car set, I've just received an email from HS stating that Kato had informed them that there was a problem with the product and that replacement parts will be issued. HS said they will be posting the part(s) on to me when they receive them.

This is the sort of response to a problem I like, from both manufacturer and supplier.

Dave

It's a two state button, when pushed, it keeps the signal red, when released it allows the signal to cycle through its steps.

150821_kato_new05.jpg

(the usage pattern is to keep the signal red, then allow the green aspect, then after the first car has passed and the signal falls to red, switch it back to permanent red, somewhat awkward, but usable)

Will those buttons be available in N gauge? Or is that one compatible HO and N gauge?

Edited by Jimmy D

I think at the moment they are only compatible with the new N scale 3 aspect signals. Otherwise they work just like a simple low voltage, low current switch that can be opened or closed.

I think at the moment they are only compatible with the new N scale 3 aspect signals. Otherwise they work just like a simple low voltage, low current switch that can be opened or closed.

that's what I was hoping to use them for. Any news on a release date or availability?

Aren't the "new" signals HO only as written on the pamphlet ?  :sad1: 
Even though I'd love to have this option in N scale, perhaps even with a real stopping effect on the track power...

Aren't the "new" signals HO only as written on the pamphlet ?

Even though I'd love to have this option in N scale, perhaps even with a real stopping effect on the track power...

Yes, you are correct, it's H0. So lets hope they make them in N too. (it seems to be a trivial addition the current automatic signal)

On the other hand, analog stopping with japanese trains is only possible with the Tomix TCS system as the common powerless section before the signal is only usable with locomotive hauled trains with the locomotive on the front. Most japanese emu-s have the power car in the middle and always at a different place, so only the first axle of the first car is a known location. Kato doesn't have a TCS like automation system, so this is a big task. (the Tomix TCS system can control signals too, like their form signal line directly and can drive bistable relays to control light signals)