Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

The correct formation would be: M1+R1+R2+R3+R2+R3+R6+R7+R7+R9 and the same again, mirrored.

Four R2-s are needed which are only awailable in the basic set. So you can get two basic sets for the extra motor and R2 and four extension sets for the four R7-s, while having a bunch of cars left over.

Original: M1+R1+R2+R3+R2+R3+R6+R7+R7+R9 - R9+R7+R7+R6+R3+R2+R3+R2+R1+M1

Kato:     M1+R1+R2+R3+R3+R3+R6+R6+R7+R9 - R9+R7+R7+R6+R3+R3+R3+R2+R1+M1 (3 errors)

Since there are 3 errors in the Kato set, another 4 car extension set with the 3 mixed up cars (R2+R7+R7+R2) would allow people who want a proper consist to avoid buying 14 extra cars. (that would mean: basic*1+extension A*2+extension B*1 for 20 cars.

ps: Personally the best layout would be: basic set 4 cars (M1+R1+R6+R9) and  extension 3 cars (R2+R3+R7) . So the basic and one extension would have one short half set and the 2nd extension would bring it up to full size. To get a full train two basic sets would be needed, automatically resulting in two motor cars. (possible sizes: 8,11,_14_,17,_20_) Imho this was how the north of london and full sets were consisted in reality. Kato managed to mess this up by moving the buffets to the extension.

Edited by kvp
  • Like 2
Davo Dentetsu

I shall not waste my money.

Yeah, well, we don't believe you.  Because we've said that before.  And look at us all now in the purchases thread.  :P

Hello Mr Azumanga Davo,

Good point.  Well, I meant that I shall't waste my money on the Eurostar ... I'll waste it on a good Tomix limited edition or something else later in the year !!!

:D

• Like 1

Wasting or not, it all depends on what we collect. If it's what takes one's fancy, then it's ok to skip. If it's a certain era and area then a compromise might be acceptable or one can try to puzzle together a correct set. Personally i'm gland it's not a rail blue British Rail 3rd rail emu, otherwise i would feel that i have to get a correct one.

It's interesting that Kato is only now releasing a 255 series.  The prototype debuted over 20 years ago, after all.

I wonder how it will compare to the MicroAce 255.  They are pretty close in price. 

• Like 1

I just noticed on the Kato website that their hobby centers now are licensed tax free business.  For non-Japanese residents, just go to the counter and buy a product and show your passport, and they'll wave the 8% GST.

Edited by katoftw

Oh I thought it was later this year! Whoops!

Ahh I see it was rolled back 18 months.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

I take a keen interest in these things... well, plenty of time to obtain stuff at the current rate, though probably not directly from Kato.

I take a keen interest in these things... well, plenty of time to obtain stuff at the current rate, though probably not directly from Kato.

Indeed... I believe Kato Hobby centre sells at direct prices, right? There are lots more cheaper alternatives, though I think some rare items might still be available at the Kato Hobby Store (Which I have yet to visit due to missing it on the first try...)

Das Steinkopf

Indeed... I believe Kato Hobby centre sells at direct prices, right? There are lots more cheaper alternatives, though I think some rare items might still be available at the Kato Hobby Store (Which I have yet to visit due to missing it on the first try...)

The Kato Hobby Centre sells everything pretty much at the catalogue price, I found it much cheaper to buy from Tam Tam Hobbies and Popondetta in Akihabara as well as Tokyu Hands in Shibuya.

Guest keio6000

It seems that Google street view works inside the Tam Tam Akihabara store.  Fortunately, it went straight to the rail model section :) :) :)

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/@35.703111,139.771368,3a,75y,172.55h,76.08t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s8mpc93au-RuNRjm23wh1Jg!2e0!3e2!7i13312!8i6656

this was taken some time ago. the layout has since changed a bit and there are no more "thomas the tank" tomix items available at 35% rrp (= "guaranteed double your money on ebay when you get home.").  :)

Edited by keio6000
  • Like 1

Does anyone have some information about the b-train diorama? (like manufacturer, etc.) Also those Thomas items look huge. Are they meant to be run on rails or on the floor?

I believe Kato Hobby centre sells at direct prices, right? There are lots more cheaper alternatives, though I think some rare items might still be available at the Kato Hobby Store (Which I have yet to visit due to missing it on the first try...)

Yes spot on.  While their prices aren't great compared to the others.  Unless it is more than 5 years old, you will find it at the Kato shop.  And spare parts galore.  At least now their is the option of getting it 10% cheaper.

TamTam in Akihabara is by some margin a cheaper alternative, and a wonderful store.  But sometimes their selection can be a little lacking.  I have only a single experience with them, but if wanting something other than JNR period, JRE or JRC trains, I guess you'll have to get them to order it in.  Not a option for travelers unless you have the time and ability to communicate.

Even Popendetta Fukuoka mainly had JNR, JRE, and JRW trains.

Both TamTam Akihabara and Kato Tokyo were my favourite model train shops I visited while last in Japan.  For varying different reasons.

Edited by katoftw
Das Steinkopf

I will say one thing about the Kato Hobby Centre their level of customer service is second to none, we purchased some viaduct, catenary masts and pylons to use with a W7 Shinkansen that we had bought for my son from Tokyu Hands, the staff member ensured that these items fitted together properly making sure we had the right sized catenary masts to fit the viaduct as well as the pylons. It was raining that day and when he packed all the items into the bag he then placed a clear plastic raincover over the bag to protect it, he also helped us with a lot of other things including the whereabouts of other hobby stores in Tokyo.

Guest keio6000

I want to contrast this with Tam Tam, whose customer service is at times appalling.  But, as a discount shop, that's I guess ok.

I have a favourite shop where old out of print trains of all manufacturers can regularly be found. And that store is Tokyu Hands in shibuya. I know this makes no sense, but honestly that place is like a museum of out of print trains.  When I was there a few months ago I saw a MicroAce Odakyu 3000 in the 'holiday' scheme and a complete Odakyu EXE set at RRP at less than they generally go for on yahoo jp.  So, while the prices aren't great compared to discounters for new items, for out of print stuff that has since appreciated, it's a good place to buy in new condition.

They also overstock on tokyu stuff (since it is Tokyu hands) and so you can find a fair amount of Tokyu stuff there.

• Like 1

It seems that Google street view works inside the Tam Tam Akihabara store.  Fortunately, it went straight to the rail model section :) :) :)

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/@35.703111,139.771368,3a,75y,172.55h,76.08t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s8mpc93au-RuNRjm23wh1Jg!2e0!3e2!7i13312!8i6656

Hey this is interesting! It's like shopping there in first person's perspective! Very fun! It must be sometime back, as there were Brand new Katos E351 Super Azusa, E251 Super View Odoriko, E257 Azusa/ Kaiji, Kiha-85 Wide View Hida and much more which are all now difficult to find...

Even Popendetta Fukuoka mainly had JNR, JRE, and JRW trains.

I agree wit the large range of JRW trains over others. Probably because they are in Western Japan, hence the larger range of JRW trains since people can relate more to them, being in Western Japan and all. Even the Hobbyland Pochi across the street has tons of JRW buses for sale, but almost no JRE buses...

Both TamTam Akihabara and Kato Tokyo were my favourite model train shops I visited while last in Japan.  For varying different reasons.

Mine was Yodobashi, as I missed several hobby shops in Akihabara. Yodobashi has quite a massive selection in a large store, and the best thing is, they offer around 20-25% off regular catalogue price, throwing in tax free and even an additional 6% discount for using VISA cards!  :)

I want to contrast this with Tam Tam, whose customer service is at times appalling.  But, as a discount shop, that's I guess ok.

I have a favourite shop where old out of print trains of all manufacturers can regularly be found. And that store is Tokyu Hands in shibuya. I know this makes no sense, but honestly that place is like a museum of out of print trains.  When I was there a few months ago I saw a MicroAce Odakyu 3000 in the 'holiday' scheme and a complete Odakyu EXE set at RRP at less than they generally go for on yahoo jp.  So, while the prices aren't great compared to discounters for new items, for out of print stuff that has since appreciated, it's a good place to buy in new condition.

They also overstock on tokyu stuff (since it is Tokyu hands) and so you can find a fair amount of Tokyu stuff there.

Interesting... I must pop by there one day soon.

Das Steinkopf

I will definitely agree with a number of the comments made here. The service at Tam Tam was okay but one of the managers there came off as a bit smug and rather condescending, their prices were very good. Tokyu Hands in Shibuya was excellent the staff very friendly and helpful, they also had a really good range of ARU Nine kits that I didn't really see elsewhere. Yodobashi in Shinjuku had a pretty good range and the prices were pretty good, I picked up a Tsugawa Yoko TMC100 cheaper than what Tam Tam had it for, I even got an extra discount with tax free as well as the discount for Visa card users. Popondetta in Akihabara was pretty good as was another store near the Electric Town exit of Akihabara Station, I think it's Volks Hobbies as it is where they sell the Volks Dolls, it's on the 8th floor of the building and is above Yellow Submarine Hobbies, the model rail department was small space wise but was very well stocked with N and HO Gauge models and the staff there were also very nice and helpful.

Guest keio6000

I will definitely agree with a number of the comments made here. The service at Tam Tam was okay but one of the managers there came off as a bit smug and rather condescending, their prices were very good. Tokyu Hands in Shibuya was excellent the staff very friendly and helpful, they also had a really good range of ARU Nine kits that I didn't really see elsewhere. Yodobashi in Shinjuku had a pretty good range and the prices were pretty good, I picked up a Tsugawa Yoko TMC100 cheaper than what Tam Tam had it for, I even got an extra discount with tax free as well as the discount for Visa card users. Popondetta in Akihabara was pretty good as was another store near the Electric Town exit of Akihabara Station, I think it's Volks Hobbies as it is where they sell the Volks Dolls, it's on the 8th floor of the building and is above Yellow Submarine Hobbies, the model rail department was small space wise but was very well stocked with N and HO Gauge models and the staff there were also very nice and helpful.

apart from Nariichi-san, Volks hobbies is my new favorite.  Really nice guy there.  Small selection though.  Wouldn't call it "very well stocked", though, but it's not bad and the prices are competitive. And volks hobbies itself is amazing for plastic models (the selection on the shelves is chosen with the utmost care, as opposed to yellow submarine, which is ok but not quite at the same level).

"Models Imon" Akihabara also wins some kind of prize for arrogance, though they've gotten a bit more competitive pricewise.  

Yodobashi shinjuku I don't like beccause their prices are nothing special and I always feel there's some complex points loyalty scheme that I am screwing myself out of .  Still, they might have structures in stock that others don't. 

Yodobashi akihabara is good for browsing and for its breadth of plastic stuff including tools, though as far as model trains goes it just stocks standard stuff.