Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Out comes the gray paint and paint brush. haha

Also read these are 248mm in length.  So 62mm shorter than the double crossover.  But to do the same job as the double crossover, you'd need 2x 248mm.

Edited by katoftw

Also judging by Kato's release schedule, I'm doubtful these will be release in November.  It's sitting at the bottom of November with no date attached.  So it's more gonna be likely a Dec or later item.

It is still slated for November 28th as of Tuesday morning JST. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Oh, and from Kato's write up on the switches, it is similar to the number 4 switches that they have - they have screws on the bottom to let you easily select rail power behaviour. That is definitely a plus for those DCC minded modellers.

It is still slated for November 28th as of Tuesday morning JST. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Yup. Last schedule update was the 20th, and they attached a date to it. SO it should come out. They normally only attached a date when they know they are certain of it.
Krackel Hopper

Do you mean DC?

Not exactly. It just allows you to adjust power settings to the rails. The default position is "power routing" so it will only provide power to the side that the switch is facing. Which is nice for DC power.

You can adjust the turnout so both directions are always powered. A major plus for DCC operations.

OUCH! Why???

Why did Kato release that E3-2000 in mandarin colour? Why?

I really want this train, but was really hoping for Tomix as they have power coupler... Having a Kato E3-2000 means I cant couple them together with the E2!

Tomix.... Are you listening?

Interesting for the Kagayaki... Isn't it the same as the previous E7 already released?

E233 Keiyo line! That's good since the Tomix one is widely sold out...

Yoooo! The sound box finally announced in Japan! About the same price as a full train... Very worth considering. I hope the sound chips will be easily reprogrammable. (ФωФ)

I hope the sound chips will be easily reprogrammable. 

I think if they wanted to make them reprogrammable, then they would have released an sd card reader version with a standard file layout, so people could just copy sound samples on it. Imho there will be a market for 3rd party sd card adapters.

Not sure how i would feel with a white train wearing purple underpants on its head running around my layout?

or the green one ?? 

i already pre-order both :love4:

Krackel Hopper

Aaahhhh...

They're both beautiful, but i want Tomix to make them!

Right there with you. Nariichi was able to get me a limited edition Tomix World E3 (93519) and I have been wanting the new paint jobs to be announced from Tomix.

Kato's E3-700 is a Roundhouse model that is re-using the old molds from their E3 Komachi. Because of this, the window arrangements are not correct for the new E3-700. That is how I justified passing on it.

However, the just announced E3-2000 is a Kato (not Roundhouse) model and is a new mold with correct window arrangements for the E3-2000 series. This makes it difficult to pass up. The only reason I will probably pass is because it is a March release and Tomix is releasing the E4 in March.. in both new (ibis pink) and old (yellow) colors..

• Like 1

I'm really happy about the release of the Kato E3-2000 as the new livery brings it in line with the brightly coloured JR East fleet. If only the Tokaido-Sanyo services were a bit more adventurous with colour. Dr. Yellow is at good as it gets.

I also want Kato or Roundhouse to release the E4 in Ibis pink.

I love the idea of the E3-700. A typical Japanese idea of merging modern and traditional design. Not sure how I would feel about ozashiki seating or footbaths while travelling at speed. Must have been fun testing.

• Like 1

Right there with you. Nariichi was able to get me a limited edition Tomix World E3 (93519) and I have been wanting the new paint jobs to be announced from Tomix.

Kato's E3-700 is a Roundhouse model that is re-using the old molds from their E3 Komachi. Because of this, the window arrangements are not correct for the new E3-700. That is how I justified passing on it.

However, the just announced E3-2000 is a Kato (not Roundhouse) model and is a new mold with correct window arrangements for the E3-2000 series. This makes it difficult to pass up. The only reason I will probably pass is because it is a March release and Tomix is releasing the E4 in March.. in both new (ibis pink) and old (yellow) colors..

My sentiments exactly~

I really wanted the "Arigato E3 Komachi' but it passed by so fast I totally missed that ~

Yap the E3-700 is the same model only different colour... But come to think about it the E3-700 doesn't couple with other shinkansen hence being Kato is ok since my other E-series are Tomix. I just really want the power coupler in that, and also the interior lighting for Tomix has other cheaper options as compared to Kato...

Lastly, we never had an E3-2000 before, and it's nice to see that finally. But again i'm still hoping Tomix to do this, so that I can couple them together especially with the E2... Again power couplers and interior lighting is another option i'm looking for. Now I'm not sure if I should pass this... If Tomix doesn't make this, I wouldn't even have an E3-2000.....

Normally Tomix is first, and Kato follows.  I doubt Tomix will be far away from getting theirs out.  Dont stress.

Edited by katoftw

I think if they wanted to make them reprogrammable, then they would have released an sd card reader version with a standard file layout, so people could just copy sound samples on it. Imho there will be a market for 3rd party sd card adapters.

I think Kato would never ever release chips that are easily reprogrammable, as they would shoot themselves in the feet with that. With most electronics, the adaptor plugs for the sound chips are probably standard, so it would be easy to produce custom hardware (either with SD card readers of some other form of flash-memory capacity).

So far, the only sound chips for this module I've seen were a US-diesel (for the US release) and a steam train (for the Japanese release). I think a variety of distinct EMU sounds (e.g. E231, 115, etc.) will probably be a big hit here in Japan. Of course only applicable for Kato releases, so no Siemens VVVF inverter sound... xD

What's the difference between the new E7 and W7 compared wih the released E7 before? I can't see any aparently change or different scheme colors.

Does it have any kind of improvement?

Edited by Antrox

And they also have different logos on them. Actually it looks like the two companies just split the same batch of trains in two, so each could have their own sets. Having different paints for the two groups would have looked much cooler.

Collaboration between Kato and Odakyu Railway- limited edition of 300, a boxed set of the 3100 series NSE (11 cars). Available starting Dec. 24 at Odakyu's "Trains" shop and online.

Press release:

http://www.odakyu.jp/program/info/data.info/8201_0757012_.pdf

online shop:

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/odakyu-trains/katonse3100/

*set includes a miniature replica of the Blue Ribbon award plate from 1964