Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

bill937ca

[N700 series] How to connect the all-around hood coupler

Jul 17, 2024

The popular N700 Series 2000 series is characterized by its coupler that reproduces the full-length hood of the actual train. Please check the coupling procedure and enjoy the full-length hood just like the actual train. For more information on the product, please click here:

https://www.katomodels.com/product/n/n700a_2000

• Like 7
cplchanb
On 7/17/2024 at 8:39 AM, bill937ca said:

[N700 series] How to connect the all-around hood coupler

Jul 17, 2024

The popular N700 Series 2000 series is characterized by its coupler that reproduces the full-length hood of the actual train. Please check the coupling procedure and enjoy the full-length hood just like the actual train. For more information on the product, please click here:

https://www.katomodels.com/product/n/n700a_2000

Kato finally able to leapfrog ahead of tomix in the coupler dept. 😁

10 hours ago, cplchanb said:

Kato finally able to leapfrog ahead of tomix in the coupler dept

This coupling system was actually released on Kato's 2007 version of the N700 so its taken them 17 years to reintroduce it . It was not adopted on their N700A or N700S models, instead using a shallow diaphragm design developed originally for their E3 models. 

The N700 stands alone with this coupling system.

• Like 3

Yes, looks it. I was contemplating the N700 as my next shinkansen many years ago, then they announced the N700A and I got that instead. Must admit, I was surprised they released it again with the same coupling system although it does look very nice when coupled. 

Does the colour match the body or is it an off-white like the real thing?

disturbman

The video clearly shows how fiddly it still is. Well, no video would have been necessary if it wasn't. Kato should have likely done away with that system instead of keeping it.

• Like 2
bill937ca

From Kato Precision Railroad Models Facebook page.

35 years since the arrival of the ECS-1, the EC-1 one-handle driving trapezoid controller is finally available to order & will be released in November 2024. We have published a special page with product details and prototype images.

https://www.kato-special.com/ec-1

Wow! ¥60,000 and that’s not even with an AC adapter. I’m sure it’ll sell out but be nice to see what the build materials feel like and how it performs. The prototype was only a 3D printed model.

You can also buy it bundled with the sound box for ¥107,800.

Not really sure I need one of these. I quite liked the old ECS-1 with the metal and wooden handle parts and the working analogue gauges.

As for other releases, not much there that piques my interest. The most interesting is the Pacific Surf Liner even though it’s not my area of interest.

On 7/18/2024 at 7:19 PM, cplchanb said:

Kato finally able to leapfrog ahead of tomix in the coupler dept. 😁

Still no power transfer *Sadface*

From the poster, looks like they’re producing grade up parts and make up parts although it isn’t clear what will come with the model. 

I’m at JAM tomorrow, weather permitting, as we ride out the typhoon, so i’ll definitely take a look. Either way, about bloody time. A contact of mine has been hinting at this for the last 12 months. 

• Like 3
ED75-775

Confirmed - Kato posted it to their Facebook account (quickly checks original post) just before 5pm New Zealand time:

https://www.facebook.com/katomodels/posts/pfbid0tvDvN3KGyfRvXdvtBuL3np77wP1PdmCZs7GVPMiaLjiVwNa1APk6SKZmPLNiEejfl

Sorry, I'll have to provide a link since it doesn't want to embed directly. Nothing (yet) on Kato website though.

Alastair

Edited by ED75-775

According to a friendly Kato staff member. The D51 is looking like a Feb 2025 release if not already stated elsewhere. 

Make up and grade up parts will be separate purchases. 

Also releasing a turn table kit that uses their existing N scale turn table and fits over the top. 

IMG_4361.jpeg

IMG_4362.jpeg

Make Up parts will include 4 areas specification parts. Including smoke collectors, oil tanks, snow ploughs and numbers. The 4 areas are 

Hisatsu Line

Chuo mainline

Kansai mainline

Hakubi (Sanin Mainline)

Upgrade parts Example (sorry couldn’t read much of this so had to google translate. 

Snow plough (unclear how this differs from the Make Up parts snow ploughs)

Rotating spark stopper

smoke box door handle

beacon light

boiler compound feeder.  

Also got hands on with the EC-1

controller. It’s definitely a well made product, sturdy metal body, solid combined handle. Obviously appeals more to the modern fans, the throttle has a nice spring to return power to the N position. The braking district has distinct notches for each brake level. It really does feel very well made. 

The throttle was smooth, with me having to pull the throttle and holding at notch 5 for a considerable time for the train to get up to a reasonable realistic speed, (At least half a circuit of their roughly 1m x 2m test track) The acceleration was smooth with the train creeping out of the station and gradually getting up to a moderate cruise but not flying around the track. 

Braking would take some time to perfect, as despite my best efforts on my first and only try, the braking was also very gradual, with me having to brake hard, but still overshooting the platform. 

The unit was teamed up with the soundbox and I never really appreciated the interest in this item before. Together they work seamlessly and with the added realism of the controller, it complimented the soundbox excellently and you can immerse yourself. Individually, I don’t know how quickly the appeal would diminish as the Tomix 5517 essentially does something similar be it without the scale realism and input sensation of this controller at a much more palatable price point. 

Being right-handed, sort of feel that there short be a handle while the left hand controls the combined throttle but I’m sure you’d get used to it. 

IMG_4332.thumb.jpeg.82f02f1961a4a5c21ce69875094709ac.jpeg

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

That’s good to know. I glossed over this release assuming it was just another rerun. Seems an updated U3 formation with blocked out windows for additional luggage space. 

Surprised no one has announced an E8 yet. Even saw a nice Pokemon branded one due to a JR East stamp rally. 

Really want the E8 too, also the rerelease of the H5 by kato has been confirmed to be the new model too, although I do wonder if there optical differences between this model, and the E5 besides the colour of the line across the body, because that purple does look good:

• Like 1
Little-Kinder
On 8/17/2024 at 2:53 PM, Kamome said:

A

Also got hands on with the EC-1

controller. It’s definitely a well made product, sturdy metal body, solid combined handle. Obviously appeals more to the modern fans, the throttle has a nice spring to return power to the N position. The braking district has distinct notches for each brake level. It really does feel very well made. 

The throttle was smooth, with me having to pull the throttle and holding at notch 5 for a considerable time for the train to get up to a reasonable realistic speed, (At least half a circuit of their roughly 1m x 2m test track) The acceleration was smooth with the train creeping out of the station and gradually getting up to a moderate cruise but not flying around the track. 

Braking would take some time to perfect, as despite my best efforts on my first and only try, the braking was also very gradual, with me having to brake hard, but still overshooting the platform. 

The unit was teamed up with the soundbox and I never really appreciated the interest in this item before. Together they work seamlessly and with the added realism of the controller, it complimented the soundbox excellently and you can immerse yourself. Individually, I don’t know how quickly the appeal would diminish as the Tomix 5517 essentially does something similar be it without the scale realism and input sensation of this controller at a much more palatable price point. 

Being right-handed, sort of feel that there short be a handle while the left hand controls the combined throttle but I’m sure you’d get used to it. 

IMG_4332.thumb.jpeg.82f02f1961a4a5c21ce69875094709ac.jpeg

Saw it as well this week end.

It's a way to really upgrade your DC layout but it's 50k yen......

Plus 50k more for the sound..... (and then you need to buy the sound cards for each train)