Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Probably will follow now this model is being made.

Just happy we have a new Tomix/Kato SL in the catalog.  We dont get many new releases of SLs.

Personally pretty happy it is the SL Kita Biwako loco also.

• Like 2

I'll probably grab C56 160 as I've seen it on both my trips to Japan. It's never been in service whenever I visited the Kyoto Railway Museum, though at least this year it had been turned to face smokebox-first out of the roundhouse.

I agree that it would be nice to see the Koumi Line C56 re-run, they tend to go for mildly silly prices online though still not quite as bad as short-production locomotives like the fourth-series C57 or C59. The only reason I have one is because I got lucky and found a sensibly priced one and jumped on it. It would also be nice to see other (regional) variants of the type though I'm not holding my breath that it will happen anytime soon, if at all.

Also notice that Kato is rerunning the Rhaetian ABe8/12 railcar set with a new road number as 3506 "Anna von Planta", and another panorama wagon with a new road number, so they'll probably jump into my pre-orders pile as well.

• Like 1

I saw its last run on the Yamaguchi behind D51 200 before being transferred to Kyoto.

Be nice to have this alongside D51 200 and C57 1. 

I have the Koumi line C56 from Kato and it’s by far my favourite steam locomotive. Once saw a great photo in a magazine with a Plateau Pony at each end of a short Koumi line freight train with a single Chiki 5000 coupled to some Waras. 

IMG_1446.jpeg

IMG_1444.jpeg

IMG_1466.jpeg

• Like 3

The RhB Allegra and the open observation car have new running numbers, but I think the Bernina Express coach packs are identical to the previous ones?

Looking at stock lists, the RhB appears to have enough of the Bernina panoramic coaches to assemble three sets with a few spare BP/BPs so I'm surprised Kato haven't used new numbers. Cheaper for those of us continuing a full collection though!

I also do not understand why the released the Hopper from 10-033 seperate with the same running Number like in the set.

Edited by Steve

The GWR 800 Paddington Bear should do well in the UK and for Paddington fans in Japan. For those not familiar with British trains, GWR generally serve the west of England and southern Wales with their London hub being London Paddington. Mr Kato mentioned they still haven’t released the 9 car so assume it’s still on the to-do list. 

Not much for me in the early part of the new year. I’d like an N’EX but kind of prefer the older livery. Door parts fall in line with competitors so perhaps we can expect from all future releases of these types of train. 

10 hours ago, Kamome said:

The GWR 800 Paddington Bear should do well in the UK and for Paddington fans in Japan. For those not familiar with British trains, GWR generally serve the west of England and southern Wales with their London hub being London Paddington.

My first love for model railways is the GWR which I have been collecting and modelling now for at least 40 years, when I went to the UK in May my first destination was Paddington.

IMG_3842.jpeg

IMG_3692.jpeg

• Like 1

There was a comedian that edited the more recent Paddington movie. Basically saying “it’s a good job the bear wasn’t found on the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) otherwise he might’ve been called 

“Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich”

• Haha 1

Kato has released its March 2024 posters:

Reproduction of the C12 is very nice. I was able to get one at a normal price eariler this year, but typically they're on Yahoo for double or even triple RRP.

• Like 4

I probably won't be able to pass on that C12 stean locomotive rerelease. The C12 can navigate R-140 curves and points, so it's hard to resist for someone who has recently developed an interest in micro layouts.

• Like 3

Oh goody. I've already got the C12.
When I bought it off Amazon sometime in 2020 I paid a whopping 19,740 yen for it, but it was a must-have SL to get on my checklist.
That re-release looks like a steal, so I might get a buddy for it! The beauty of KATO and other Japanese model trains is that they allow you to choose different number plates!
I can't name many other manufacturers who do that.

Edited by disturbman
unnecessary quote
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, SL58654号 said:

I can't name many other manufacturers who do that.

Me neither. But I like even more the way the Chinese manufacturers deal with this. Each release of a locomotive is split into several running numbers. For their last locomotive, Changming released 24 different versions/running numbers. That gives you quite choice of running number, depot, detail and livery variations.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, disturbman said:

Me neither. But I like even more the way the Chinese manufacturers deal with this. Each release of a locomotive is split into several running numbers. For their last locomotive, Changming released 24 different versions/running numbers. That gives you quite choice of running number, depot, detail and livery variations.

Same for the majority of British releases. You essentially buy one locomotive with all of its relevant details. There are pros and cons to this as certain stock disappear quickly while others sit on shelves for years. I would always say that the British model out of the box gives a bigger wow factor than a, let’s say, JNR blue coach with no numbers, tampo printed labels, roof details or handrails fitted.

My father who models BR steam late in the southern region finds the price range of stock is often widely based on popularity, whereas we can at least say with most Japanese releases , the price is dictated by what quantity is actually in the box. In the UK anyway, this leads to a small industry of loco numbers and detail production from independent producers but the availability can be challenging.   

The generic Japanese mentality covers the majority and modellers will always add the extra details for a specific locomotive whereas collectors won’t. Obviously with certain locos, the details can be more specific. EF55, EF58 61.

I wonder whether the Japanese business model of user adding your own small details and numbers will spread. I certainly can’t see British modellers adopting it as the prices are getting colossal. 

• Like 1

I just wanted to note that british numbering is painted, making "generic" locos is pretty hard, as swapping numbers requires adding your own decals. Besides that, unlike Japanese liveries, British ones are quite varied. Making generic british locos could be quite the challenge...

However I do agree that it should be done when feasible/possible. Kato made a couple of german steam locos with swappable numberplates, a feature not seen on Märklin's An-Arm-and-A-Leg priced models.

Despite german locos being one of the most uniform in terms of livery and classes, this feature isn't a normalized standard? WHY?? Hell, german number plates are exactly that, they're not painted, they are literal PLATES . It would literally be more accurate if they WERE swappable

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 2

Guys, a gentle reminder to please be mindful of your quotes. There is no need to quote a full post when answering someone, even more if you are answering the last message. You can simply type in the answer field rather than clicking on "Quote". Thank you.

12 hours ago, Kamome said:

I wonder whether the Japanese business model of user adding your own small details and numbers will spread. I certainly can’t see British modellers adopting it as the prices are getting colossal. 

Maybe if it was explained as a way to bring down cost and that cost was reflected in the final price. But as noted by SwallowAngel, British (like Chinese) locomotives are more varied in liveries than German or Japanese and the solution used by Kato and Tomix makes a lot of sense in that perspective, also because the locomotives are more uniformed whereas Chinese locos often have small variations in details and lettering/warning signs that makes a single model with swappable numbers almost impossible to achieve.

I think on coaches and freight cars it could make sense for European manufacturers to offer selectable running numbers.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, Wolf said:

Seems the couplers are too short and won't clamp. Mine has the issue.

PXL_20231109_104523506.MP.jpg

I just got a E5 starter set delivered from Amazon JP yesterday and can sadly confirm this issue exsits.

Very annoying as I was able to directly order to Australia in what was an amazon oversight that they have now shut down.

Units do not couple smoothly like the n700s. Was impossible to couple them on track.

Can couple them off track at an angle then realign and put onto track.

After doing this several times the issue seemed to improve to the point I could couple on track but still not as it should be.

Very disapointing after waiting so long for this release.

It depends on the country, Australia was banned for years (due to international tax collection dispute) and even now most products we can buy directly from Amazon JP are third party sellers but fullfilled by Amazon only. Some products glitch and are available through the AU website but not the JP website until they later get removed or price increased. Then some are genuinely available. That is a simple explanation. This was sold directly by Amazon, not third party. Not that I mind because I was able to get lots of Kato products at JPN prices before they tightened things up. Anyway, the Japanese press release about the e5 issue says they intend to fix and return the faulty E5's to customers but no ETA on when. The issue also includes Assy parts coupler and floors for the E5 so you can not order replacement parts and fix yourself for now. Kato will need to identify the production issue and do a new run of parts to fix. Will definetly take time.

Edited by webb0001

Thanks for the explanation. Then maybe, instead of relying on Amazon, you should rely on Japanese retailers: Plaza Japan, Hobby Search, Model Train Plus, Rail Gallery Rokko and others. From another user, Plaza is paying for the return. I don't know about the others, in our collective experience, it's rather rare that retailers pay for international returns, but maybe it's different for an official recall. When I received trains with minor issues, I always had the retailer ship me the replacement parts instead of waiting months to get my train back.

In this case, it's a minor issue so the repairs could go rather quickly, but it depends on quantity affected and manpower assigned to the task. Usually, this kind of recalls takes time. If you are impatient, the fastest way is to find replacement couplers and install them yourself.

• Like 2