Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Am I the only one who are waiting for the Siemens ACS-64?

I am pretty excited for this too: at least, a European style electric with Kato reliability that won't cost an arm and a leg! Bit sad it only seems to come in a package with a bunch of Amfleets though ($$).

HantuBlauLOL

Amfleets are fine imho, also i think a Bachmann HHP8 is a good addition for this.

The Acela has a bad reputation though..

Haha,

I needed to use fingers to count the wheels on the UP tender.  My eye kept losing position as I tried to count.  That is an amazing steam loco.

New releases from Kato hot off HS site:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10330651

Series 255 Standard Set (Basic 5-Car Set)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10330652

Series 255 Additional Set (Add-On 4-Car Set)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10330650

Series 101 Tsurumi Line (3-Car Set)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10330654

Kumoha12 50 Tsurumi Line

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10330655

Kumoni13 (Brown)

Weird Kato is doing the 255 series when MA has them released in several editions for some time ago... And a 101 series Tsurumi line? Anyone knows what the last 2 are?

As a big fan of the pre-war/early post war (as well as the high performance era cars, but that's another story) steel EMU classes that survived into the high performance era, I really love the work Kato has been doing for the last few years. I'm really tempted to reserve all three (KuMoHa 12 50/KuMoNi 13 and 101系)... Another bad year for my wallet...

Anyone knows what the last 2 are?

I see KVP answered you already (as I was typing), but allow me to expand a bit:

They are modified pre-war 17 meter classes, the KuMoHa 12 being a former 31系 car, while the KuMoNi 13 is a former 33系 car. The KuMoHa12 50 class where former 31系 KuMoHa 11 200 type cars modified for single car operations in 1959 (6 cars where modified, receiving a control cab at both ends of the car). They where transferred to the Ōkawa branch of the Tsumuri line in 1972, and served there after JR East took over the line, being retired in 1996 (as mentioned by the previous poster). The KuMoNi 13 (002~016 sub group) are former 33系 MoHa 34 types, rebuilt into motorized luggage cars between 1948 and 1950 to replace the ageing wooden luggage cars then still in service.Originally they where classified in the KuMoNi 53 class, but after the 1959 re-classification they where re-classified as KuMoNi 13  (with the advent of the 'new performance trains' in the late 1950's (101系, 151系 etc) J.N.R. adopted a new classification system, dropping the previously used MoHa XX designation used for EMU's for the well known 1XX系 system still in use, while restructuring the numbering of older classes). The KuMoNi 13 cars, where however as far as I can tell not used on the Tsumuri line, instead serving around the Tōkyō branch wherever needed (including, but not limited to, the Yamanote line), later being mainly used on lines like the Iida,Oita, Nambu and Senseki lines.

more info:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%9B%BD%E9%89%84%E3%83%A2%E3%83%8F12%E5%BD%A2%E9%9B%BB%E8%BB%8A

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%9B%BD%E9%89%84%E3%83%A2%E3%83%8B13%E5%BD%A2%E9%9B%BB%E8%BB%8A

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%9B%BD%E9%89%8433%E7%B3%BB%E9%9B%BB%E8%BB%8A#.E8.8D.B7.E7.89.A9.E9.9B.BB.E8.BB.8A.E3.81.B8.E3.81.AE.E6.94.B9.E9.80.A0

They go well with the 101 series.

As well as the Tomix 72系/73系 (being re-released in August) if you prefer a earlier period (till the arrival of the 101系 in 1980)

• Like 2
Claude_Dreyfus

The re-release of the Eurostar add-on sets is hugely welcome by someone who refuses to pay £150.00+ for four carriages! Check out some of the Ebay prices for these at the moment...

The re-release of the Eurostar add-on sets is hugely welcome by someone who refuses to pay £150.00+ for four carriages! Check out some of the Ebay prices for these at the moment...

Yeah, prices for the old 10-327 basic set are reasonable, but the add-ons cost a ton.  Same deal with Kato's TGV Sud-Est (which could also use a re-issue or re-tool).  

Claude, might I ask what formation of Eurostar you're planning to buy?  The "Three Capitals" formation, while tempting, is longer than any shinkansen.  Cost and space issues aside, I wonder how well the motor would deal with grades.  

Yeah, prices for the old 10-327 basic set are reasonable, but the add-ons cost a ton. Same deal with Kato's TGV Sud-Est (which could also use a re-issue or re-tool).

Claude, might I ask what formation of Eurostar you're planning to buy? The "Three Capitals" formation, while tempting, is longer than any shinkansen. Cost and space issues aside, I wonder how well the motor would deal with grades.

Yikes, I'd rather buy an old basic set instead of a new one. That's a hefty price when they usually go for 10,000 jpy on yahoo auctions...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Claude_Dreyfus

Yikes, I'd rather buy an old basic set instead of a new one. That's a hefty price when they usually go for 10,000 jpy on yahoo auctions...

No, that is the price of the old sets on Ebay...some really greedy prices, although market forces do have an impact. I do see the Japanese sites are a little more realistic, but HS are listing the new add-ons at ¥6,800. Much better!

Claude_Dreyfus

Yeah, prices for the old 10-327 basic set are reasonable, but the add-ons cost a ton. Same deal with Kato's TGV Sud-Est (which could also use a re-issue or re-tool).

Claude, might I ask what formation of Eurostar you're planning to buy? The "Three Capitals" formation, while tempting, is longer than any shinkansen. Cost and space issues aside, I wonder how well the motor would deal with grades.

I have a original set, so yes three add-ons are now on order. The Eurostar motor is pretty good, so I don't believe it will struggle too much - I have seen full length sets running quite happily.

As an aside, I out to play on a real Eurostar next month - even thought it's an old train now, it is still nice to travel on.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus

No, that is the price of the old sets on Ebay...some really greedy prices, although market forces do have an impact. I do see the Japanese sites are a little more realistic, but HS are listing the new add-ons at ¥6,800. Much better!

I was referring to the kato price for the 8 car basic set. It said 20,000 jpy for the basic, ouch.

Claude_Dreyfus

Ah, okay. A recent visit to the Yahoo auctions had one of the older add-ons listed at ¥10,000.

I have a original set, so yes three add-ons are now on order. The Eurostar motor is pretty good, so I don't believe it will struggle too much - I have seen full length sets running quite happily.

As an aside, I out to play on a real Eurostar next month - even thought it's an old train now, it is still nice to travel on.

Thank you for the advice.  I'll go with a full 20-car formation, then, and finish my layout lengthening project by the time it arrives.   :)

Ah, okay. A recent visit to the Yahoo auctions had one of the older add-ons listed at ¥10,000.

And then there's this completed auction for the add-on, which ended at 20,000 yen. http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f145017580

I wonder if strong secondary market prices influenced Kato's decision to raise the MSRP of the Eurostar by around 17-18% over the prior release. The falling yen and whatever inflation happened over the past decade were probably factors, too.  

Guest Closed Account 1

Thank you for the advice.  I'll go with a full 20-car formation, then, and finish my layout lengthening project by the time it arrives.   :)

I wonder if strong secondary market prices influenced Kato's decision to raise the MSRP of the Eurostar by around 17-18% over the prior release. The falling yen and whatever inflation happened over the past decade were probably factors, too.  

Prices increased because of royalties and retooling for DCC friendly chassis.

Wait, 20 car formation with one head motor car?

I have only accomplished this satisfactory with Steam (double headed 2-8-2's or single 4-8-4, or single 4-8-8-4.

Why not get a second Basic Set and Speed Match the 2 Motor Cars?

Easy to do by swapping body shells and adding DCC decoders. Set the tail car's CV to 29 or other odd number to react opposite the head car. MU together.

Same locos with the same decoders are easy to speed match, usually.

Guest keio6000

You actually need 4 eurostar add-on sets to make a full eurostar, due to the buffet car issue.

It's nice to see these re-run. In my time I sold over 200 eurostar add-on sets at prices which reflected high consumer demand.  Times were good :).

But, now I too also have a main set for myself.  I might be tempted to pick up 3 or 4 add-ons.

That said, can it be that far until we see a new br class 374 / e320 'new eurostar' from kato.   surely that will be a huge seller.  i'm not a huge fan on euro trains, but i'll certainly take one.   the current eurostar is attractive, but even though i usually travel 'standard premier' class which gives you wine and a meal, i have never been excited about it as the seats, even in standard premier / first and much more in economy, are terribly designed and always give me a backache.  in fact, i often ride the eurostar in the inter-cab jump seat because of the backaches from normal eurostar seats - and I'm a normal, fit adult.

Hello,

So sorry, but what is the "buffet car issue"?

I check the Kato Eurostar knitting diagrams here for 12 and 20 car set: http://www.1999.co.jp/10330656

Description says from 1994 so I presume class 373.  Then I check class 373 on Wiki and knitting diagram is quite different.  For example, there is no 12-car consist.  Consist is 20-car and 14-car.  Car layout is inconsistent and I cannot see how the Kato product is prototypically correct. 

Could someone please confirm or explain clearly so that I can inform my colleagues?

Guest Closed Account 1

I found the Eurostar Seating plan for 20 cars including 2 Buffet cars. (18+ 2 Motor cars) and skipped wiki altogether and returned to Eurostar.com for more combing to settle this.

http://www.eurostar4agents.com/files/Eurostar_seat_plan_UK.pdf

Cindy Lou Whoo: Hello Philip, thank you for contacting Eurostar. I am ****. How can I help you today?

You: Can you settle an argument?

Does the Eurostar still run 20 car consists or just 16?
A model company is re-releasing the Eurostar model train. Can u help?

Cindy Lou Whoo: Hi Philip we currently have 20

You: So usually run 20?

Cindy Lou Whoo: absolutely Philip

You: Thank you!

Kato is re-releasing the old Eurostar not the new Pug. http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/whatsnew

Hope this helps someone.   :thumbsup:

Edited by Webskipper
Claude_Dreyfus

Hello,

So sorry, but what is the "buffet car issue"?

Each add-on set contains a buffet car... therefore the three add-on required to make a full-length have three bar/buffets; that is one too many buffets for the real train (which has two). As mentioned, a further add-on can be hacked about to make the correct formation, or follow Kato's suggestion and use two base sets and an add-on (but believe you still need to juggle with an addition add-on) to give the correct formation.

Loco1hobby.net has the best reserve price. Lower than hobby Search.

Good prices thanks. Anybody experienced them delivering to UK or Europe ?

Edit : found loads of feedback on the supplier forum so RHB Allegra on the way. 

Edited by tridentalx

Claude, Webskipper, Keio6000:  Thank you for your information about Kato's Eurostar.  Posts like these are why I joined the forum.  :)

I ended up ordering enough to run a prototypical 20-car formation with two motor cars and the correct number of buffet cars (with some coaches left over, of course).  

Guest Closed Account 1

I have been inspired by all the excitement to finish the project.

Once my older Kato Eurostar 373's digitised then they will help fund the new sets. Almost done with both basic sets.

Where do we get the need for 2 basic sets other than the bonus of 2 motor cars? I see nothing wrong with extra bar cars. Fewer kids.

Vehicle with the same 20-car train example [8 both basic set +4 both addon set × 3 (20 cars)]

M1 + R1 + R2 + R3 + R3 + R3 + R6 + R6 + R7 + R9 + R9 + R7 + R7 + R6 + R3 + R3 + R3 + R2 + R1 + M2

http://www.katomodels.com/product/images/euroster/euroster_v_1.jpg

From years of running TGV's these motor cars are outstanding performers.

Each other Eurostar's end cars are the same with the exception that one has a motor. Otherwise add a motor and drivetrain. Same weights.

Edited by Webskipper