Need help with a prototype to model.

keiichi77

I'll throw out some ideas, you can try to emulate something that looks like it and fit better your needs. Tell me if it's too much.

1/ trains coming out of the yard can now flawlessly enter both mainlines.

2/ trains on the inner siding can also now have an easy access to both mainlines.

3/ trains on the outer siding with plan #01 can manoeuver without impeding running trains on the mainlines ;  with plan #02 they can enter the outer mainline from each direction

4/ those plans (as they stand) actually transform the mainlines in one continuous loop (well they do if you decide to make the same track arrangement on both side and a three level layout) which allow continuous running and for the train to take longer time to appear/reappear.

5/ you can also decide to only run one loop and make the other side of the layout a hidden yard from where you could send new trains to the station/track.

post-156-13569927263995_thumb.jpg

post-156-13569927264384_thumb.jpg

I can see how it looks like 3 independent loops, the red line is the elevated track, it actually passes over the lower track in the top left hand corner before it starts to drop again to 0 elevation.

As for your ideas, nothing is too much, except my space limitation is dictated by my curved basement stairwell to only 3' X 7', I like the idea of having a smaller second module for the yard tracks to show off (I mean store) trains that are not running. Although the only train I have to run right now is the DD51 of ebay, which still hasn't arrived yet, maybe this week. I am still tempted by the Nankai set but I think I should buy more track first as I only currently have a small loop (which also didn't arrive yet) and some other pieces from the consignment section of this page. 

I thinks it is all going to arrive at once and I will be in train heaven...lol

layoutv2b.bmp

Ok. Now, I feel a bit stupid. I did consider for a moment that it was maybe only two loops but didn't went further down that thought process.

Last remark, on the figure eight, you might want to move the straight from the front (near the station) to the back. It would put the track further away from the station and I guess look a bit more believable. :)

I'm always lost with the imperial system. Your layout would be what then? ~1m by 2m something? Maybe the Nankai is a tad bit long for you and there is some interesting (and cheap) units to get for a JR Hokkaido themed layout.

Like the second hand page for diesel units from popondetta: the A5915, A5916, A5917 (all those three are boasting one painted train) and A0345 (modern limited Express).

Or even this one: http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/ACE11349.aspx

Anyhow, it's always a good idea to buy more track.

The layout would be .91m X 2.13m.  The Nankai doesn't fit my layout theme, it is just a really neat train...lol  The Kiha 261 is on my short list of what passenger train(s) to run, also on the list is the Kiha 40, Kiha 150 and Series 781 electric.

What I am basically looking to own are a few freight locomotives (probably 2 DD51s and an ED79) about 20 Koki cars, 1 electric passenger set (3 to 4 cars), and 1 or 2 diesel passenger sets (2 to 4 cars each). But that is for down the road after I have all my track work done.

I see what you mean about the track close to the station, I will try and rework that, hopefully without compromising my minimum 315mm curves. :)