Anyone order the Kato Hayabusa Shinkansen?

The_Ghan

Hi folks,

I've ordered the Kato Hayabusa Shinkansen, the full set from Hobby Search on reserve.  Who else is getting this trains?

Cheers

The_Ghan

Definitely, but only the shorter version.  My layout only suits 7-car lengths max.  Have just received a Tomix 100 Series 'Fresh Green' set, and it has continous pickup installed.  A little disappointed in the rather large spacing between cars (about 1.5m scaled).  Yet to try it out, and waiting patiently for Kato to copy the continuous system :)

Angus

Complete 10 cars set, of course, and all the Tomix "long nose family" (N700-7000, N700-8000 R2 and normal set)

(so Mr.Nao from Rainbowten is still happy, an me too)

Ciao

Massimo

Claude_Dreyfus

Whilst it is an impressive beast, I am trying to limit my Shinkansen to those operating the Tokaido line. Maybe one day when I have won the lottery...

Martijn Meerts

Pre-ordered the 10 car version the day they put it up for pre-ordering ;) Will do the same with the E6 most likely.

As for Kato vs. Tomix, it's all the same to me. Maybe when Tomix comes out with an E5 they'll have a different road number, which means I can get that one as well ;)

Hey Martijn,

I'm saving for the E6 already.  As for Tomix v Kato (which wasn't the intention of this thread anyway) I have a mixed opinion.  I like the new pick up system, but it doesn't suit DCC all that well.  Tomix usually does better on the diaphrams than Kato, but I prefer the Kato couplers.

Can't wait for my E5.

Cheers,

The_Ghan

Martijn Meerts

I meant Kato vs. Tomix for the E5 specifically ;)

The Tomix all-car pickup shouldn't really be any different for DCC compared to single-car pickup. You still hook up red and black to the power pickup, and orange and grey to the motor. Unless Tomix decided to add some additional electronics somewhere, I haven't actually taken apart any of the all-car pickup trains I have. I do have some issues with the Tomix couplers on the all-car trains being too tight, causing the diaphragms not too return to their straight position, and sometimes even causing derailing.

But yeah, looking forward to seeing the E5 model up close and personal =)

I'm saving for the E6 already.  As for Tomix v Kato (which wasn't the intention of this thread anyway) I have a mixed opinion.  I like the new pick up system, but it doesn't suit DCC all that well.  Tomix usually does better on the diaphrams than Kato, but I prefer the Kato couplers.

I agree but Kato did an awesome job on the N700 diaphragms!

I decided not to purchase trains for a while and concentrate on other items I need on my layout (scenery, lights for structures, etc.) but the E5 is growing on me.

I ordered the Kato version of this as well (all three sets), despite being a bit dubious about the appearance (I'm not a fan of "duckbill" trains).  The color was one of the things that convinced me that it would be an interesting train.

I didn't even consider the Tomix train, as I'm planning to convert all my trains to DCC and the reports I've read about that being harder for Tomix have made me avoid them.

Martijn Meerts

I didn't even consider the Tomix train, as I'm planning to convert all my trains to DCC and the reports I've read about that being harder for Tomix have made me avoid them.

Not counting Kato's trains that take their own decoders (which have their own set of issues), the Kato's are in general no easier to convert than the Tomix ones (or MicroAce ones for that matter.) It differs on a train-by-train basis.

Wanting to go DCC really shouldn't be a reason not to buy Tomix or MicroAce, you'll miss out on a lot of nice trains that way.

Not counting Kato's trains that take their own decoders (which have their own set of issues), the Kato's are in general no easier to convert than the Tomix ones (or MicroAce ones for that matter.) It differs on a train-by-train basis.

Wanting to go DCC really shouldn't be a reason not to buy Tomix or MicroAce, you'll miss out on a lot of nice trains that way.

I think Martijn has a very good point here that issues like this seem to be a very train by train issue. Everything i have witnessed, talked to others about, and read about with DCC I have come to the conclusion that there are ALOT of variables with DCC that can bite you: decoders, dcc systems, wiring, internal car wiring, motors, the train itself, lighting systems, connectors, track work, mechanical skills, electronic skills, electrical skills, technical skills, etc. This makes for a huge host of combinations and permutations thats really nasty. So when you see folks having problems it can be from a whole host of things that will require very systematic analysis to discover what variable(s) are affecting the system/problem in question. I have never gotten such a set of conflicting set of results and opinions on the various parts of dcc compared to other things in model trains. Its easy to just blame the train.

Folks rarely attack problems like this systematically but with a bunch of things at once or in random fashions so you cant either discover what really fixed it or cant compare results well from different events/problems. i think with something like DCC you have to be extremely scientific in your approach of really limiting your variables as much as possible and the ones you do have you need to control for as well when trying to trouble shoot. This is not impossible to do or even that difficult, its just a different mind set than the usual model train stuff.

cheers

jeff

[i agree but Kato did an awesome job on the N700 diaphragms!

LOL what? I think you might be the first.. People have had nothing but issues, usually phantom uncoupling. I think there's a reason why Kato abandoned that system in the upcoming E5 and stuck with the one from the E3. It's a shame really.. Kato has now gone through 4 completely different coupling systems (0/200, 100/700/E1/E2/E4, E3, N700). Of course the absolutely worst one has to be the power car/first trailer of Eurostar/TGVs. Well it keeps that cars coupled I suppose...

As for me, I am anxiously waiting on Tomix. But you never know. Maybe I'll get one of these when they actually come out hehehe. I have a feeling stock with be plentiful as is usually the case with Shinkansen models.

[i agree but Kato did an awesome job on the N700 diaphragms!

LOL what? I think you might be the first.. People have had nothing but issues, usually phantom uncoupling. I think there's a reason why Kato abandoned that system in the upcoming E5 and stuck with the one from the E3. It's a shame really.. Kato has now gone through 4 completely different coupling systems (0/200, 100/700/E1/E2/E4, E3, N700). Of course the absolutely worst one has to be the power car/first trailer of Eurostar/TGVs. Well it keeps that cars coupled I suppose...

As for me, I am anxiously waiting on Tomix. But you never know. Maybe I'll get one of these when they actually come out hehehe. I have a feeling stock with be plentiful as is usually the case with Shinkansen models.

I don't own it, so I'm speaking on an esthetics point of view. Kato N700 diaphragms look amazing, but I also hear a lot of bad words concerning Kato HS trains couplers.

Kens,

I hear you!  The duck-billed trains don't really appeal to me either, but I ordered the E5 nontheless.  I think the E5 cab car has gone to the extreme - there's more cab than car!  Car 10 only seats 18 (in Super Green class). In the E6, car 11 only seats 23!  I've seen more people in a rickshaw!  I'm starting to wonder just how much of this is aerodynamics and how much is bad-taste styling.  When I look across the Shinkansen range my favourites are the original Series 0, followed by the 500's.  At the other end of my scale rest the "ugly ducklings", but the wost shinkansen of all (for looks) is the 300 series - it has always reminded me of a cross between a Mac truck and the space shuttle.

Bernard,

Sneak out and order the train while your wife isn't looking.  That's what I do !!!

Martijn,

My layout is divided into short blocks about the length of an 8 car train.  I'm planning to go full DCC with PC control for automation.  I'm starting with the subway.  I was wondering how the all-car pick-up might affect this?

Cheers

The_Ghan

Martijn Meerts

Martijn,

My layout is divided into short blocks about the length of an 8 car train.  I'm planning to go full DCC with PC control for automation.  I'm starting with the subway.  I was wondering how the all-car pick-up might affect this?

Depends on various things really. In the end though, the all-car pick up trains are no different from say a train with interior lighting in all cars, or even a train with tail lights. (In fact, a freight train like the M250, or a loco hauled train with tail lights in the end-car can cause a whole new set of problems ;))

The general "rule" is that a block has to be at least as long as the longest train you plan to run. And while that's still a good "rule" for most cases, with PC control you can do a lot. It's easy enough to say that a certain train always occupies 2 blocks, or for that matter that a train that's too long for a certain block can't ever enter the block.

In the end though, it all depends on many things. Which digital system is being used, what's being used for train detection in the blocks, which pc program is controlling the layout, etc, etc, etc..

Obviously, I have no idea how experienced you are in setting up a computer controlled layout, but I think I've come across pretty much every issue one can come across, so if you have any questions, or want to know how I've done things, just ask ;)

but the wost shinkansen of all (for looks) is the 300 series - it has always reminded me of a cross between a Mac truck and the space shuttle.

Funny, for me it's always been the best looking train!  :grin

Tastes and colors... (I don't know if this expression exists in english ^^,)

Which lead me to ask: Kumo, what's your mother language?

French.

We say "Les goûts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas" that can be translated in something like "Tastes and colours, we can't talk about it".

Meaning I love 300 series, but it's a matter of taste!  :grin