What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

shadowtiger25

I also received 150 scale passengers for my steam era Nesiko Express. Paid less than 5 bucks for them, but they all need repainted.. but still, it was a good deal

I'll upload some pics once I have worked on some of them. And of course them in the cars

shadowtiger25

Well, Here are the tiny people

IMG_20181012_175115.thumb.jpg.e6035a5b9f5cb5f445789fc72f407c7d.jpgIMG_20181012_175152.thumb.jpg.64cc7f95079955947414efadc882474f.jpg

Fairly low quality, and terrible colors, however....

IMG_20181012_175205.thumb.jpg.e673dd8b9661b5b7cac4519870bd34f1.jpg

With a little repainting, they dont look half bad

• Like 2
shadowtiger25

And here they are in the car

IMG_20181012_175430.thumb.jpg.91792aa5e1472fa0a9c30ad76b79b97a.jpgIMG_20181012_175328.thumb.jpg.84762e721ee7b228478f80270a12f576.jpg

So I put About 45 people in a car that can seat 80, and is the first of 7 cars that can take people. I need more than 150.... BACK TO EBAY!!!

Edited by shadowtiger25
  • Like 7
18 hours ago, shadowtiger25 said:

I also have the #1 set coming from a buying service because Hobby search sold out of them.. Now All I need is a couple of D51's in Hokkaido style to make it complete...

Wow, those seki's look great!  What coal did you use for the load, I'd like to do that to a few of my N scale rolling stock.

21 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Wow, those seki's look great!  What coal did you use for the load, I'd like to do that to a few of my N scale rolling stock.

I need to redo the loads on some of my US hoppers, now that you mention it. My father used grey ballast from Woodland Scenics, but it seems more like gravel than coal...

Yeah, I know there are a few suppliers out there of scale coal.  Of those one or two look absolutely spot on, but no one ever remembers which they used when I ask at the local club.

• Haha 1
shadowtiger25
4 hours ago, GDorsett said:

I need to redo the loads on some of my US hoppers, now that you mention it. My father used grey ballast from Woodland Scenics, but it seems more like gravel than coal...

5 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Its real coal that I crushed up with a mortal and pestle then ground some of it fine with an herb grinder. Found several lumps of it in a creek near where I used to live. Benefits of living in a coal rich state I guess...

Anyway, crushing it up yourself gives the benefit of you control the grade of coal, as well as an organic randomness in introduced to the scale lumps instead of many very simulator grains of intimation coal. None of my coal loads look the same

I also use the same stuff for my steam locos tenders.

Also, I was part of a club where half of the members only modeled coal trains from WV, so trust me when I say, its hard to find a sub for using real coal.

I believe you can find coal at walmart and lowes. One bag will give you more than you can ever use!

Edited by shadowtiger25
added more
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Having been working at Lowes for over a year, I cannot say I've ever seen coal come through our store. Seen plenty of wood pellets, though...LOTS of wood pellets...

shadowtiger25
1 hour ago, GDorsett said:

Having been working at Lowes for over a year, I cannot say I've ever seen coal come through our store. Seen plenty of wood pellets, though...LOTS of wood pellets...

weird, did a quick google search and Lowes was one of the listed places

Interesting. Well, I haven't pulled it off of a trailer yet and I haven't seen it in the store. Could be at other stores.

shadowtiger25
Just now, GDorsett said:

Interesting. Well, I haven't pulled it off of a trailer yet and I haven't seen it in the store. Could be at other stores.

It may just be an online item

Could also be a locational item.  I know here in California we're missing quite a few items that most other states have, mostly due to mild climate I assume.  When we needed pink foam for layout building the nearest store was about 300 miles away!

This is a good idea for loads.  There are some coal seams here in Utah down in the middle of the state and when we were driving through a couple years ago I stopped so we could look at one in a road cutout that exposed the seam.  We grabbed a few pieces that had fallen to the ground.

• Thanks 1
shadowtiger25
15 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Could also be a locational item.  I know here in California we're missing quite a few items that most other states have, mostly due to mild climate I assume.  When we needed pink foam for layout building the nearest store was about 300 miles away!

maybe.. however, there are other places that sell it like amazon and people on ebay.

On 10/13/2018 at 10:26 AM, Kiha66 said:

Try refigeration companies. Folks in mild climates have found some of the frig companies that make walk ins have blue/pink foam sheets and some will sell you some.

jeff

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the idea!  We ended up visiting the Bay area to visit Paul for the Los Altos Train days, and took a 50 mile detour to pick some up on the way home.  I'll keep that in mind when my current stash runs out though!

I found the Home Depot’s in Northern California were spotty in carrying formulaR. Also for a long time here in Maryland the big boxes didn’t carry it, I had to go 30 mile into Virginia. I also found some of the other contractor supply places here in Maryland that carry it. Now it’s here pretty standard.

jeff

shadowtiger25

Got a couple of things today

768420069_IMG_20181016_1415051.thumb.jpg.165cf94dab050f51a7983a2bae5d3e62.jpg

Snow Plow of Kahi. I'm going to try to fit it on my C11 because I ordered the wrong one... SO I'm going to make it Hokkaido style!

1050884091_IMG_20181016_1415161.thumb.jpg.72d2aa30e61bfc2e28635145ee0ba0f3.jpg1712286460_IMG_20181016_1416211.thumb.jpg.6a58b99121c3b33bc9f2541222dfd5f0.jpg

I also received my second set of seki's today as well! now I have 20! Anyway, I will upload a guide to how I make my real coal loads when I get around to doing it again.

So, I find it funny that Tenshodo wraps there products in a special wrapping paper. Its like getting a present! that was 400 dollars...

Edited by shadowtiger25
  • Like 4

Speaking of C11...

Trying to find one and all I've been able to find has been on EBay with the old style couplers and for ridiculous prices. Are they normally 5 and 6 hundred dollars? Has anyone made one since then with more modern tooling?

shadowtiger25
On 10/16/2018 at 2:57 PM, GDorsett said:

Speaking of C11...

Trying to find one and all I've been able to find has been on EBay with the old style couplers and for ridiculous prices. Are they normally 5 and 6 hundred dollars? Has anyone made one since then with more modern tooling?

And yes I have found that HO steam does cost more.. At least from Tenshodo, but at the same time, I like the model they produce.

it doesn't have sound. However its DCC ready, has a spot to put a speaker in it.

Edited by shadowtiger25

Check with Nariichi San at modeltrainplus.com as he seems good at sourcing HO stuff, or doing some personal shopping like this at a reasonable price at times.

jeff

Wow, those are expensive.

Although not too terribly surprised. Found this at my go-to hobby shop and about wet meself over both the paint and the price. The difference here being that it comes with DCC and Sound already...

1013181620.jpg

Steam in HO is most definitly more expensive no matter where you look. Comperable diesels are ususally half or less.

30 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Check with Nariichi San at modeltrainplus.com as he seems good at sourcing HO stuff, or doing some personal shopping like this at a reasonable price at times.

jeff

I seem to remember a listing for a Kato C11 on his website, although it's out of stock. May have gotten it confused with something else, though since the only loco I remember Kato producing was a C51...or I'm just entirely confused as per normal.

Edit:

It appears I was indeed confused. Was a C56.

Edited by GDorsett