Jump to content

What's in Your Roster?


bill937ca

Recommended Posts

ive been successful in getting the grinding gone in my micro ace trains (and others) when it happens or when new, with cleaning and lubing. only one has been an issue and thats my old 922 dr yellow thats had the issue in the truck after a lot of running over like 10 years and had great trouble disassembling the truck/drive train and put it aside, have to get back around to working on it. like squid mentioned many different motor and drive train designs in ma over the years, not as standardized as the others, so it can be a bit of a figure it out each time.

 

jeff

Link to post
serotta1972

The Series 21000 is one of my favorite  Japanese trains and one of the oldest trains in my collection.  I missed out on the Iseshima Red Formation back when it was re-released in 2014 - always on the lookout.  I was able to ride the Urban Liner Next in 2017 from Osaka to Nagoya - it was a beautiful route and definitely worth a do over.  Hopefully next time it will be on either the original Urban Liner or the Hinotori.  

 

My Kintetsu Limited Express Fleet:

 

Tomix 98695 Series 80000 "Hinotori" - 2021

Tomix 92500 Series 50000 "Shimakaze"

Micro Ace A6662 Series 23000 "Iseshima"

Greenmax 30722 Series 21020 Urban Liner Next

Tomix 98988 Series 21000 Urban Liner Plus

Kato 10-162 Series 21000 Urban Liner

Tomix 92609 Series 21000 Urban Liner - 1998

 

IMG_0434.thumb.jpg.e35a5d97301ba08c8f210b258a386ee3.jpgIMG_0435.thumb.jpg.e04f9fe86e0d72f64b8e2fcde3ad5fc5.jpg

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
JR 500系

WOW! that is just amazing! Makes me wanna get a shot like this too this weekend!

 

I love Kintetsu too, simply for the wide variety of trains they have ~ certainly almost coming in all shapes and colours ~

  • Like 1
Link to post
JR 500系

Taking inspiration from @serotta1972 

 

Here's the E233 series, one of my fav commuter trains.... 

 

20210124_163907.thumb.jpg.67824e4ca1cca70b92ad74f658712ba3.jpg

 

20210124_163937.thumb.jpg.7735fdd1aa782c41749722a6b35ff030.jpg

 

20210124_164000.thumb.jpg.a38a5deb72f1ca25336a94a43711b034.jpg

 

20210124_164020.thumb.jpg.5dd8fe2bfacb8bb696869fbbc2d24268.jpg

 

20210124_164037.thumb.jpg.0938de5f6a38b8819af5506ab84d72ba.jpg

 

No price for guessing which consist i am missing....  😛

 

Test the train geek-ness in you to guess which ones are Kato and which are Tomix... there is a good mix in there ~

  • Like 4
Link to post
railsquid
20 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Test the train geek-ness in you to guess which ones are Kato and which are Tomix... there is a good mix in there ~

 

From left to right:

Tomix - Kato - Tomix - Kato - Tomix - Kato - Tomix ?

  • Like 1
Link to post
disturbman

What’s the third consists from the left? Doesn’t fully look like an E233. Special front design for through running?

Link to post
Peter Osborne
On 1/15/2021 at 1:06 PM, disturbman said:


IIRC, Kato will be/should be announcing the HOT 7000 some time this year. Which should bring down the price of MA on the second hand market, if you are still interested in these.

 Thanks for the information might wait Bd see what the Kato model is like as I’ve read reports about some rough running with some of the microace sets and add some for sale on yahoo advertised as “improved” is it just a noisy motor? 

Link to post
disturbman

@Peter Osborne As we noted several time, rough running is not limited to MA sets and their recent releases are in my experience spotless. In my opinion, their bad reputation is not earned. The most annoying part with MA is the lack of assy parts. I never had a set not run properly out of the box. They had a few issue with zinc rotting, perhaps more than the other manufacturers. It was limited to certain sets, we have a list floating around.

There is always a risk in buying a second hand set, as you don't know how the previous owner ran the set or if they maintained the motor properly.

MA released a few "improved" sets themselves, I believe it was related to better molding or detailing. On YJA, sellers should list their improvements. They are normally limited to visual elements (pantograph painting, etc.), or perhaps added short couplers (Tomix or Kato). Never saw a listing with an "improved" motor.

Link to post
Peter Osborne

Thanks for the information the zinc rot has caused problems in due cast vehicles of the same era of manufacturing  as well as I know several Heljan UK outline class 47 diesels in OO  I will have a look for the list as would not want to spend on a model that would turn to powder,  as I’ve mentioned I’m interested in a HOT 7000  and the 283 Ocean Arrow both command high prices at the moment so will wait a while .

Link to post
railsquid
1 hour ago, disturbman said:

What’s the third consists from the left? Doesn’t fully look like an E233. Special front design for through running?

 

E233-2000 series for through running onto the Chiyoda Line and the Odakyu line (which thanks to increasingly insane through-running combinations makes it possible to see E233s at Ebina in both the Odakyu and Sotetsu sides of the station).

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
JR 500系
2 hours ago, railsquid said:

 

From left to right:

Tomix - Kato - Tomix - Kato - Tomix - Kato - Tomix ?

 

hhhmmmm... do you have a sure-fire way to recognise which maker? If i was given the same question, i can only say for certainity that the E233-2000 is from Tomix as Kato had never made them.... 

 

1 hour ago, disturbman said:

What’s the third consists from the left? Doesn’t fully look like an E233. Special front design for through running?

 

7 minutes ago, railsquid said:

 

E233-2000 series for through running onto the Chiyoda Line and the Odakyu line (which thanks to increasingly insane through-running combinations makes it possible to see E233s at Ebina in both the Odakyu and Sotetsu sides of the station).

 

Yap Squid is correct, it is the E233-2000 series :

 

 

 

It also seems to go underground~ 

 

 

Yeah Through running is pretty common these days!  🙂

Link to post
disturbman
49 minutes ago, Peter Osborne said:

Thanks for the information the zinc rot has caused problems in due cast vehicles of the same era of manufacturing  as well as I know several Heljan UK outline class 47 diesels in OO  I will have a look for the list as would not want to spend on a model that would turn to powder,  as I’ve mentioned I’m interested in a HOT 7000  and the 283 Ocean Arrow both command high prices at the moment so will wait a while .


I think most affected sets were released around mid 2010.  Put an alert on the Ocean Arrow, the last production run was released in 2019. I don't expect a quick re-run. I've seen an A0757 in mint condition sell for 13,000 JPY last week. You just need to keep an eye open.
 

34 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Do you have a sure-fire way to recognize which maker?


Roof details, no? Consists 2, 4 and 6 all have some white roof details.

Link to post
roadstar_na6
51 minutes ago, disturbman said:

A0757

I guess you mean A0767? RG-Rokko has the full 12 car set (767/768/769) available for 42480¥ on their Japanese site and the basic set for 21440¥.

Edited by roadstar_na6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Yavianice

I would have gotten it were it not for the fact that, unusual for Micro Ace, it does not come with door parts.

Link to post
disturbman
24 minutes ago, roadstar_na6 said:

I guess you mean A0767? RG-Rokko has the full 12 car set (767/768/769) available for 42480¥ on their Japanese site and the basic set for 21440¥.


Yes, sorry. Typo. I meant A0767, the 6-car set released in 2019. They have become pretty rare and most sellers are asking ridiculous prices release prices or above.

Edited by disturbman
Link to post
serotta1972
17 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Taking inspiration from @serotta1972 

 

Here's the E233 series, one of my fav commuter trains...

20210124_163907.thumb.jpg.67824e4ca1cca70b92ad74f658712ba3.jpg

No price for guessing which consist i am missing....  😛

 

 

I can't believe you don't have or didn't include the Tokaido/ Ueno Tokyo Line - I have all Kato E233's and now only have the ones I've actually ridden. Nice collection JR500.  I really need to at least bring out my trains once a week do more shots likes these.  Keep them coming.  Let's see the Kintetsu collection of yours.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
serotta1972
17 hours ago, railsquid said:

 

From left to right:

Tomix - Kato - Tomix - Kato - Tomix - Kato - Tomix ?

 

I'm curious to know what the identifiers are for a Kato or Tomix.  If I can see the rapido coupler then I know it's a Tomix. 😁

Link to post
54 minutes ago, serotta1972 said:

I'm curious to know what the identifiers are for a Kato or Tomix.  If I can see the rapido coupler then I know it's a Tomix. 😁

 

The rapido point is certainly true!  For e233 sets the "flame tube" (aka flare) is much larger on the kato model compared to the tomix model.  The destination signs on the kato model are also somewhat more subtle, but if I wasn't already looking I probably wouldn't have noticed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
railsquid
1 hour ago, serotta1972 said:

 

I'm curious to know what the identifiers are for a Kato or Tomix.  If I can see the rapido coupler then I know it's a Tomix. 😁

 

I was guessing based on which set had a similar style of roof-mounted A/C unit as the 233-2000 series, which I knew to be Tomix. Still no idea whether I was right or not.

 

However lack of rapido couplings does not necessarily imply Kato!

  • Like 1
Link to post
JR 500系
21 hours ago, disturbman said:


Roof details, no? Consists 2, 4 and 6 all have some white roof details.

 

Now this is a really interesting point! I didnt realise this! Could this be the hints? 

 

7 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

 

I can't believe you don't have or didn't include the Tokaido/ Ueno Tokyo Line - I have all Kato E233's and now only have the ones I've actually ridden. Nice collection JR500.  I really need to at least bring out my trains once a week do more shots likes these.  Keep them coming.  Let's see the Kintetsu collection of yours.  

 

Yeah i didnt believe it myself either... probably because i thought since i already had the E231-1000 in Shonan-Shijuku colours i could miss this one... Oh well, luckily i managed to solve  this little issue pretty easily, and the best surprise was i already had the this set lying in secret inside my cupboard!  It's an omen YES!  

 

Kintetsu eh ? how could i deny a request? Let the weekends come quick!

 

7 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

 

I'm curious to know what the identifiers are for a Kato or Tomix.  If I can see the rapido coupler then I know it's a Tomix. 😁

 

6 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

 

The rapido point is certainly true!  For e233 sets the "flame tube" (aka flare) is much larger on the kato model compared to the tomix model.  The destination signs on the kato model are also somewhat more subtle, but if I wasn't already looking I probably wouldn't have noticed.

 

5 hours ago, railsquid said:

 

I was guessing based on which set had a similar style of roof-mounted A/C unit as the 233-2000 series, which I knew to be Tomix. Still no idea whether I was right or not.

 

However lack of rapido couplings does not necessarily imply Kato!

 

Pretty interesting hints and pointers! I certainly learnt a fair bit! And yes, the prize goes to Squid for getting them ALL RIGHT! I'm pretty amazed actually, and i thought you had initially referred to my roster list sometime back but i realise i hadnt updated much of it especially for the E233s so i am very much guessing how you got the answer so accurate!

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
railsquid

Oooh, a prize! Finally my years of foraging in the junk shops of Akihabara squinting at unlabelled cars in plastic bags (through which it's surprisingly difficult to determine the manufacturer's name on the underside of the car) have paid off! Though for junk hunting, a quick look at the bogie pickup design is the easiest "tell".

 

I do also note my Kato and Tomix E233-0 series have slightly different cab side door window proportions, but I'm not sure if that is a difference in interpretation of the prototype, or whether the prototype does have that kind of variation (IIRC there are slight variations in the roof style on the real thing depending on who manufactured the set, but I forget the details).

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1
Link to post
serotta1972

Thank you @JR 500系 and @railsquid for the E233 lesson this week.  At a glance a  Kato and Tomix model looks identical but there are definitely a lot of subtle differences and obvious ones.  And we were just looking at the front and roof of the cars. 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...