bikkuri bahn

Occasionally I post some observations about things that may interest some of the more deeply involved railfans, in this case those interested in the interurban/traction side of the railway scene, as opposed to the JR mainline, shinkansen, and freight scene. These are really just random things that caught my eye or fancy, while riding the private railways in Kansai.

1. Rode a 2200 series trainset* on the Keihan Line, these are veteran units that this year have been in service for 60 (!) years.  They started out as 600v units, now of course run at 1500v DC. Great analog traction motor sound on these, got the prime right front seat on the driving motor car heading an express service out of Yodoyabashi terminal, loads of fun barreling down Keihan’s four track main with the motors screaming, passing all the local stations.  These units make all kinds of creaking and banging sounds typical of older units (including compressor sounds), something you miss on the digital wonders that dominate the rails nowadays. 

2. Transferred to the Kintetsu Kyoto Line, love the older rolling stock on Kintetsu, especially and unique to Kintetsu are the separate mounted destination rollsigns, which remind me of the rollsigns often used on Pacific Electric stock.  It helps that Kintetsu also uses red in their livery. Also being rollsigns, it’s analog controlled by a rotating dial (typically made by Koito, the auto parts manufacturer and big subcontractor for Toyota), nice old style rather than the common LED signage.

3. Got off at Yamato Saidaiji.  There is an observation deck here overlooking the up lines (direction Osaka and Kyoto).  It’s a flat junction with relatively constant action, you can see quite a lot in just 15 or 20 minutes (which is my limit given the hot summer weather).  I would say it’s superior to the observation deck at Seibu’s Tokorozawa Station, as you are closer to the action, the trackwork is more compact, and the variety of rolling stock is (just) slightly better (Kintetsu limited express stock has more variety). There is a dining area with similar views adjacent, if you want to have a meal. 

*when I was on the 2200 series, passed another unit that has been repainted in original Keihan colors, which is causing quite a stir among railfans here. Not my video:

• Like 2
miyakoji

Thanks Bikkuri, I read about the history of Koito and have done basic surveys of Yamato Saidaiji and Tokorozawa via Google Map.  Will add them to my Japanese vacation notes later 🚅