[Question] New N scale hobbyist here. Will be visiting Tokyo next week, is there any particularly good N scale item I should aim at getting?

Colonel Cheng

Colonel Cheng

Please forgive my late response. I forgot to bookmark this page on my laptop and was not able to find it during trip. I noted locations you recommended though which were most helpful.

@cteno4

tyvm for info re: online purchase. I have found that many of the Japan based items are cheaper than in Thailand due to absence of import duties (as you mentioned) and generally less available discount. I also think a lot of manufacturers refuse to do direct business with Thailand due to distributor system.

@paolo 

tyvm for your excellent video : ) I will surely try to visit the main JR train museum in upcoming trip.

@chadbag 

All the shops I visited were willing to provide tax refund.

On 1/30/2024 at 9:35 AM, Kingmeow said:

Super Kids Land in Osaka is duty free and an additional 5% off when using a VISA at the time (September 2023).

tyvm for this information, I will definitely look this up next time I am in Kyoto.

I attached the net haul over the course of two days in picture below. I think overall the trip could be labeled productive from model train shopping perspective.

Hara museum was closed though, which imho is a major shame 😞

267664.jpg

267683.jpg

• Like 3

That's a great model train haul, love the Shikishima and Hello Kitty shinaknsen!

I've done my share of crazy shopping while in Japan, but this is top level 😄

• Like 1
GeorgeHInch
On 1/26/2024 at 9:34 PM, cteno4 said:

I’ve recall hearing folks say that if they bought a train at some shops the shop let them do a test run of it on their shop layout. I would assume after a purchase just to make sure it’s not a dud so as to not have everyone testing trains.

jeff

They usually let you test before purchase but only after you go up to the counter to check out. If you buy a locomotive or train set from Popondetta you tend to get a voucher for 15 minutes of free running on their layout after you complete the purchase though. If you go at a quiet time I've found that their care about the 15 minute limit is pretty non-existent.