[Question] New N scale hobbyist here. Will be visiting Tokyo next week, is there any particularly good N scale item I should aim at getting?

Colonel Cheng

Colonel Cheng

Hey guys : )

Train models and model railroad are extremely expensive here in Thailand (with markups of 50-100% being common). Since I have a business trip scheduled to Japan in the upcoming week, I plan to schedule in an extra couple of days for some personal shopping. Would it be possible for someone with familiarity with Tokyo to advise me on a few questions?

1) Can I have suggestions for model train stores in greater Tokyo area? So far I am planning to visit the main Kato Store, and Tenshodo Model Railroad, but are there any others you would recommend?

2) Are there any uncommon or otherwise especially good looking train sets you would recommend I buy?

3) Other than the Hara Model Railway Museum are there any interesting "must visit" site regarding model railways?

PS
Would like to thank everyone again for all their kind advice. I apologise if some of my response are a little late, as I live in the Asia timezone.

Have just completed my Japan trip, and would like to humbly thank everyone again for your advice. I had a most productive time Trainshopping in japan, thanks to your assistance (picture attached).

Please also accept my apologies for my recent lack of response as I forgot to save this page onto my laptop and therefore cannot access it while overseas.

267664.jpg

Edited by Colonel Cheng

When I was there last September, Popondetta and Yodobashi Akihabara are very good.  Popondetta is 5 floors of N-Scale with the top floor being used items.

Yodobashi is big since they are a chain and seem to be in every major city.  They sell many other things besides model trains.  They do offer Duty Free if you flash your passport.  You do have to spend at least $35 (or was it $50?).

Prices are similar between both but the selection is much bigger with Popondetta.  Note that Popondetta is not a Duty Free shop so things might be slightly more expensive if you buy a lot since you can't get the 10% off.

For #2, everyone's taste is different so it depends on your own preference on whoa is "good looking".  But I can tell you, you'll go nuts like I did and think EVERY train looks good once you see the massive selections!  😄

• Like 1
MeTheSwede

In Akihabara there are about 15 model train stores within a fairly short walk from Akihabara station. Kingmeow mentioned two large ones, I hope to visit some of the smaller ones on my next trip to Japan. With so many stores in the same area, I asume they all have to be good in some way, or they wouldn't stay in business.

As for Hobby Center Kato which you mentioned, I thimk it's well worth a visit, but I got the impression the store is a bit on the expensive side.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, MeTheSwede said:

As for Hobby Center Kato which you mentioned, I thimk it's well worth a visit, but I got the impression the store is a bit on the expensive side.

True!  They sell at list price.  But when I visited they seem to have everything, especially parts, in stock whereas some of the local retailers may not.  Like you said, it's well worth a visit to the Temple of Kato.  😄

• Like 1
Tony Galiani

I thought Paolo had posted a number of videos about Tokyo hobby shops but I cannot seem to find them now.  Maybe someone else on the Forum can advise as to where they are.  Tried to search but no luck - which is typical of my search skills I am afraid.

Tony

• Like 1
Colonel Cheng
13 hours ago, Kingmeow said:

When I was there last September, Popondetta and Yodobashi Akihabara are very good.  Popondetta is 5 floors of N-Scale with the top floor being used items.

Yodobashi is big since they are a chain and seem to be in every major city.  They sell many other things besides model trains.  They do offer Duty Free if you flash your passport.  You do have to spend at least $35 (or was it $50?).

Prices are similar between both but the selection is much bigger with Popondetta.  Note that Popondetta is not a Duty Free shop so things might be slightly more expensive if you buy a lot since you can't get the 10% off.

For #2, everyone's taste is different so it depends on your own preference on whoa is "good looking".  But I can tell you, you'll go nuts like I did and think EVERY train looks good once you see the massive selections!  😄

This is excellent! I have already visited most of these places in the past to buy scale models so I am familiar with where they are, which is very good.

So the large multihobby chains are already the biggest in terms of available selection?

Colonel Cheng
2 hours ago, MeTheSwede said:

In Akihabara there are about 15 model train stores within a fairly short walk from Akihabara station. Kingmeow mentioned two large ones, I hope to visit some of the smaller ones on my next trip to Japan. With so many stores in the same area, I asume they all have to be good in some way, or they wouldn't stay in business.

Ahh thank you very much for advice, this is most helpful!

Will just go browse then XD

Colonel Cheng
8 minutes ago, Tony Galiani said:

I thought Paolo had posted a number of videos about Tokyo hobby shops but I cannot seem to find them now.  Maybe someone else on the Forum can advise as to where they are.  Tried to search but no luck - which is typical of my search skills I am afraid.

Tony

tyvm for your advice : )

I might go try looking myself also in that case.

As for what to get, that’s personal really to what you need and want!

if there is a particular set that you can’t find at a good price outside or not carried by the usual Japanese shops that export then look for that.

i would definitely take a look at used stuff as many of the sets are in great shape and hard or expensive to get outside of japan if older. Many shops have a layout and will let you test run a train you are going to buy to make sure it works. Some may at least have a piece of track to make sure motor car works, so worth asking. Only are shops sell second had stuff internationally, others and yahoo.jp auctions you will need to use a proxy service to buy stuff at an additional like 40% fee.

some shops, especially smaller ones can have some unusual detail bits that are made more locally in very limited quantities so may never make it out of a few stores selling them and no web sales really.

putting a new nose smudge on tenshito’s display cases is always fun, but leave your credit card in the hotel room that day.

jeff

• Like 1
railsquid
6 hours ago, cteno4 said:

i would definitely take a look at used stuff as many of the sets are in great shape and hard or expensive to get outside of japan if older. Many shops have a layout and will let you test run a train you are going to buy to make sure it works. Some may at least have a piece of track to make sure motor car works, so worth asking.

I'm not aware of any shops with layouts which will let you test the train on the layout (otherwise everyone would be "testing" trains there), but all will have test track, and if there is a layout often you'll get a discount coupon after purchase if you want to run the train.

• Like 1

I’ve recall hearing folks say that if they bought a train at some shops the shop let them do a test run of it on their shop layout. I would assume after a purchase just to make sure it’s not a dud so as to not have everyone testing trains.

jeff

• Like 1

Most have a small board with 30cm piece of track on it.

The ones I have purchased from, tested the model right in front of me even before asking for payment.

Granted this was 2014 and 2017 though.

• Like 2
maihama eki

Many years ago, I bought the then-new 800 series Shinkansen at Hobby Center Kato Tokyo. At that time, the purchase granted you 30 minutes of run time on one of their smaller layouts that was upstairs at the shop. I ran my new 800 series. I was with a friend, so I cut my run short. I guess that was in the mid 2000s. I have no idea if it is still offered. My friend is Japanese, so that definitely helped the shop staff communicate this situation.

Hobby Center Kato charges full retail price for everything, so it’s maybe not the best place to shop for items that are readily available elsewhere. 

Edited by maihama eki
  • Like 2
Colonel Cheng
On 1/27/2024 at 12:24 AM, Tony Galiani said:

Found it!

And @railsquiddid a number of posts about Tokyo hobby shops as well.

Enjoy,

Tony

tyvm for your assistance!

Wow, one of the biggest one is inside Tamtam, I must have passed that shop a dozen times on my way up to the scale model shop without really paying attention to how big the store is!

21 hours ago, cteno4 said:

As for what to get, that’s personal really to what you need and want!

if there is a particular set that you can’t find at a good price outside or not carried by the usual Japanese shops that export then look for that.

i would definitely take a look at used stuff as many of the sets are in great shape and hard or expensive to get outside of japan if older. Many shops have a layout and will let you test run a train you are going to buy to make sure it works. Some may at least have a piece of track to make sure motor car works, so worth asking. Only are shops sell second had stuff internationally, others and yahoo.jp auctions you will need to use a proxy service to buy stuff at an additional like 40% fee.

some shops, especially smaller ones can have some unusual detail bits that are made more locally in very limited quantities so may never make it out of a few stores selling them and no web sales really.

putting a new nose smudge on tenshito’s display cases is always fun, but leave your credit card in the hotel room that day.

jeff

tyvm for your advice! From a Thai perspective just about every uncommon model is something unavailable domestically, lol.

I REALLY hope to find a model 2 decker US skyliner, but I am told that is not common even in Japan.

I agree that I will definitely need to be well disciplined with my money, this hobby is vastly more expensive than my usual scale modeling 😛

Edited by Colonel Cheng
Colonel Cheng
15 hours ago, railsquid said:

I'm not aware of any shops with layouts which will let you test the train on the layout (otherwise everyone would be "testing" trains there), but all will have test track, and if there is a layout often you'll get a discount coupon after purchase if you want to run the train.

This is actually the default option here in Thailand, but I would not be surprised if Japan does not have the same customs.

Thank you very much for the excellent youtube based guide video, it has helped me immensely in my planning!

Colonel Cheng
54 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

$3000 budget should bring home a suitcase full of trains!

jeff

Excellent! The price must be spectacularly cheaper than here in Thailand then, lol.

Right now most regular 6-8 car sets are like $100-150 usd with the yen so low. You can check out the hobbysearch website to get a general idea of current prices in Japan reflected in usd and sort of what may be currently easy to find. The hs website is like a good overall catalog of Japanese n scale for the last 20 years. Much of it out of stock/production right now, but what is in stock can give an indication if it will be easier to find at shops, but different shops have differ stock so always good to look, never know what will be lurking on a shelf somewhere! Some shops give better price deals than HS by like 5-20%, depending on the shop.

are the duties bad to have stuff shipped from Japan to Thailand? A number of shops do a big export business around the world. Getting used stuff exported is harder as few shops export used items and yahoo japan auctions require a proxy service to use outside of Japan that puts added cost on (like 40%).

jeff

On 1/25/2024 at 10:18 PM, Colonel Cheng said:

Hey guys : )

Train models and model railroad are extremely expensive here in Thailand (with markups of 50-100% being common). Since I have a business trip scheduled to Japan in the upcoming week, I plan to schedule in an extra couple of days for some personal shopping. Would it be possible for someone with familiarity with Tokyo to advise me on a few questions?

1) Can I have suggestions for model train stores in greater Tokyo area? So far I am planning to visit the main Kato Store, and Tenshodo Model Railroad, but are there any others you would recommend?

2) Are there any uncommon or otherwise especially good looking train sets you would recommend I buy?

3) Other than the Hara Model Railway Museum are there any interesting "must visit" site regarding model railways?

PS
Would like to thank everyone again for all their kind advice. I apologise if some of my response are a little late, as I live in the Asia timezone.

1) Definitely check out Akihabara, as many have already suggested. You can spend a full day there visiting model train shops.

Thank you to @Tony Galiani and @cteno4 for referring to my videos, you can check out the ones I did back in November 2022, which are still valid.

The Kato store is a bit outside of the usual path, and it has the highest prices. But they have some nice layouts. I'd go there only if you were looking for a very specific set that no other shop in Akihabara has. If you have time, and visited all the shops in Akihabara, you can also check out Nakano Broadway, which has a huge Mandarake train shop which an amazing selection, and some cheap prices.

Almost all Popondetta shops have a layout you can try your trains on. I think if you buy the there and then, it's free, otherwise you'd have to pay a small fee.

2) That's very subjective. I'd look for used sets though, that's where you can get the best deals. In Japan in general, a 'used' item means 'basically new' for the rest of the world. I bought many used sets, and even the ones that are marked as 'junk' usually work perfectly... So I'd first try those shops that sells used sets, like Popondetta, HobbyLand Pochi, Surugaya, Liberty in Akihabara or that Mandarake I mentioned above. I'd go for some limited sets, which you can basically only find in Japan, and which would cost you a fortune if you were even able to find them from abroad.

I wouldn't look for US model trains. They have a very limited selection and they wouldn't be much cheaper than getting them outside of Japan.

3) if you have time, I'd visit the JR East Museum in Saitama. Apart from the gorgeous collection of real trains, it has a huge H0 scale layout.

• Like 3
On 1/27/2024 at 2:42 AM, katoftw said:

Most have a small board with 30cm piece of track on it.

The ones I have purchased from, tested the model right in front of me even before asking for payment.

Granted this was 2014 and 2017 though.

That was my experience in Osaka Super Kids Land back when I was there in September.

On 1/27/2024 at 3:01 PM, maihama eki said:

Many years ago, I bought the then-new 800 series Shinkansen at Hobby Center Kato Tokyo. At that time, the purchase granted you 30 minutes of run time on one of their smaller layouts that was upstairs at the shop. I ran my new 800 series. I was with a friend, so I cut my run short. I guess that was in the mid 2000s. I have no idea if it is still offered. My friend is Japanese, so that definitely helped the shop staff communicate this situation.

Hobby Center Kato charges full retail price for everything, so it’s maybe not the best place to shop for items that are readily available elsewhere. 

When I was there in September, you don't even have to buy a train to run on their layout upstairs.  All you need is a minimum 500 Yen purchase though I don't know how much time they let you have.  Supposedly you can even bring your own outside train(s) to run.

1 hour ago, Kingmeow said:

Supposedly you can even bring your own outside train(s) to run.

Yes, you can. I once went with a Swiss friend to run some Trix modern European equipment on the HO layout there. We had to share with a Japanese man who had brought some of his Bachmann US steam to run.

They trust people not to bring or do anything that could harm the layout. Of course you have to pay a fee to run your stock on the HO or N layout if you are not buying anything.

Yodobashi is not the only store to do duty free.  I don't know about Tokyo but in Osaka the Joshin Denki in Den Den Town does the duty free and also has a Visa card discount as well (they still had it a year ago when I was there).  I'd assume that there are shops besides Yodobashi in Tokyo that do it.  It's worth it to spend a day window shopping and taking notes and then going back to the places that have the stuff you want at a price you are willing to pat.

Yodobashi Akihabara has a decent selection of model train stuff.  Especially Tomix and KATO and to a lesser extent Greenmax.  They do have other things but deal mostly with the big guys in my experience.

Super Kids Land in Osaka is duty free and an additional 5% off when using a VISA at the time (September 2023).