JR 500系

Anything Prototype Bus Related

JR 500系

Wow, there's even a bus show in Japan! 

bill937ca

Shinki Bus Kobe Sannomiya Bus Terminal  Video by Japan Travel Magazine.

Lilan 2235 video.

• Like 2

cteno4

whats above the terminal? rr tracks? road? looks interesting to model!

jeff

JR 500系

I think I saw this video sometime back, but it is very interesting to see the space below what looks like overhead railway tracks put to good use... The amount of traffic controllers are a lot too for safety reasons, but it is a good idea to use that space since the passengers for the buses will not worry about rain too!

whats above the terminal? rr tracks? road? looks interesting to model!

jeff

It looks like overhead railway tracks but I cant be too sure...

Yap that's a great idea! Perhaps we can remodel it to make a nice bus terminal scene!

katoftw

There is a station and platforms on top

Robert46

I had a thought the bus terminal is inter-connected with the railway station. Something good for passengers without the need to exit the station.

katoftw

The whole area is interconnected with tunnels.  Hankyu, JR West, Hanshin, Portliner, 2x subways are all within 150-200m of each other.

Edited by katoftw

Kabutoni

This bus terminal is actually not physically connected to the railway station, but only under the JR tracks. You have to go outside to get to this place. It reminds me a little of the bus terminals I've been to in Portugal in the late 1990s, snuggly tucked away in inconspicuous buildings in city centres.

• Like 1

katoftw

Greenmax product that could be adapted quite well for said bus scene.

10007619a.jpg

bill937ca
mukade

This bus terminal is actually not physically connected to the railway station, but only under the JR tracks. You have to go outside to get to this place. It reminds me a little of the bus terminals I've been to in Portugal in the late 1990s, snuggly tucked away in inconspicuous buildings in city centres.

If I remember right, these videos show the parking area for the coaches coming mainly from northern Hyogo prefecture, Shikoku, Awaji island, and Chugoku as well as other areas of Japan. The actual terminal where passengers get on and off buses is on the lower level, SE corner of JR Sannomiya station.

I believe there are plans for an all new bus terminal as part of the redevelopment of Sannomiya. That would be east of the existing terminal and south of the JR tracks.

With respect to the train lines, the Hanshin lines also carry Kintetsu and Sanyo trains. Kintetsu goes to Nara and Sanyo to Himeji. So Sannomiya is a pretty interesting area from a train and bus spotting perpective. Probably less than a mile north of Sannomiya is Shin-Kobe station which is where the Shinkansen stops. A mile or two south is Kobe airport, and Kobe has numerous ferries as it is a major sea port. Because Kobe is by the mountains, it has cable cars and ropeways up the mountains as well. A transportation buff's dream. 

I lived in Kobe when I was in grade school many years ago. Again, if I remember right, the area underneath the JR tracks was pretty shabby then with shanties in some places - but maybe not at Sannomiya proper. It all looks nice now.

• Like 3

cteno4

In the JRM NYC layout we had tucked several things under the viaduct. Ones was the taxi garage and it was perfect effect with a parking area next to it under the tracks as well full of taxis. Now going to have to think about busses in layout 3.0 coming up as its based primarily on the NYC layout design.

Jeff

• Like 1

bill937ca

Duffy the Disney Bear bus.  Video by Sandbee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bill937ca

Okinawans classic bus "730 bus"  Video by nek0mask55.

JR 500系

Oh wow... I wonder how many bus companies are still running Showa Era buses! 

bill937ca

Apparently this is the last year for the trolleybus line.  Another video, this one showing the maintenance shed and the outdoor terminal.  i think these buses have short distance batteries.  Video by 丸窓電車

bill937ca

Riding the trolley bus. Video by futa masa.

JR 500系

Amazing bus driving school!

JR 500系

Man the Japanese bus drivers are THAT good!

• Like 2

bill937ca

Video by Shinkyuvideo.  Tokai Bus Orange Shuttle

JR 500系

When a bus wants to be like a train...

Interesting it actually runs on dedicated overhead viaducts! 

• Like 1

cteno4

I’ve often wondered if this would work well for brt in some congested spaces here in the us to get running fast. Easy to electrify probably wirh side or center contacts and batteries in the stations. Wonder how economics work out.

jeff

AllScales

There is a guided busway outside of Cambridge, cost hugely more than estimated and does nothing to avoid the horrendous traffic in the town centre...

Sascha

Is this Bus in the Tokyo area?

mukade

Not sure which bus you are referring to, but the guideway bus is in Nagoya (see Wikipedia article). 

The double decker Willer coach routes more than likely originate in Tokyo (see Wikipedia article for all Willer routes).