Prototype for everything (scenic edition)

5 hours ago, railsquid said:

GDR Trabant in Japan, with British numberplates? Go ahead (though probably not on a public road):

I love how its got twin air horns.  And it need thoses, so you can hear the horn over the rattling lawn mower of an engine those crazy East Germans put under their.

"Covered sidewalks" along shopping streets are a common feature in Japan, but in recent years have been disappearing as redevelopment occurs, leading to very patchy "coverage", or as here a sole remaining segment in an area otherwise devoid of them:

lone-sidewalk-shelter.thumb.jpg.9433d55ddc9b9a7d93d529f1bd75314d.jpg

• Like 5

I just remembered, I spotted something odd outside my room window when I stayed at a place in Asakusa, Tokyo, a few years ago.

lBrc_3XW.thumb.jpg.eeb6996cbb4f27017f786831e88a8c00.jpg

I went out to investigate. Is that a house?

rvBrQWYC.thumb.jpg.bf71e648749a18fbb420fa276f8018c4.jpg

Wo3HY36e.thumb.jpg.2cf92d3562df487780049caa71cc3978.jpg

Yes, and apparently someone was at home.

• Like 5

Ohh thanks excellent idea of a model scene. I’ve seen a number of plant overgrown houses like this in japan, seems to be a thing.

jeff

If you ever utterly fail at scratchbilding a house or assembling a kit...

just put foilage all over it and you're good. 🙂

Edited by MeTheSwede
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you go to smaller cities and towns abandoned buildings covered in vegetation like that have become a very common sight. Its a result of Japan’s demographics, the shrinking of the population is way more evident in the countryside and the built environment there is being left to rot in many places. Some places are already little more than ghost towns. You don’t notice it in the big cities as much.

That specific place obviously isn’t abandoned, but places with elderly residents who can’t care for the property and let it get overgrown like that exist even in the big cities. People generally don’t do that otherwise since it violates a lot of social norms (I say this as a homeowner who has to be extremely careful not to let any leaves from trees in my yard blow over into neighbors property in the fall because of the complaints even just a couple can induce). The main difference is that in Tokyo most of the time those places get rebuilt after the owner dies since the land has value, while in the countryside they just get swallowed up by nature.

So yeah, if you want accuracy in a modern Japanese layout, cover a portion of the buildings with foliage (high proportion in small towns, lower in big cities).

Edited by Sean
  • Like 2

There's a place like that just south of Hachoji Station which has been falling down over the last few years, while still being inhabited by (IIRC) a pair of not all that elderly sisters: https://goo.gl/maps/ZyfWwi5DQKQmSEuX6

Problem is there's not much the "state" can do without the consent of the owners/residents, so every now and then these situations develop.

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, railsquid said:

There's a place like that just south of Hachoji Station which has been falling down over the last few years, while still being inhabited by (IIRC) a pair of not all that elderly sisters: https://goo.gl/maps/ZyfWwi5DQKQmSEuX6

Problem is there's not much the "state" can do without the consent of the owners/residents, so every now and then these situations develop.

That is a good example. Looks a bit like a gomi yashiki, which would be another cool contemporary urban Japanese scenery thing to put on a layout.

Shuttered shoutengai are another. 

With my own layout I’ve gone for a more upbeat representation of a Japanese city that glosses over these realities but maybe I should inject a bit more of them….

Mini train at the Kyushu Railway Museum. Just what some of you guys need for your back yard.   Video by AlmightyTrainSite Channel

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 6

At 2.35 of this video you will see the Kei truck I was actually looking for. A couple of oil drums and what looks like a pumping mechanism. With a few workmen this could be anywhere. Not sure why it has red lights.

Kei truck with oil drums crop 1024 x 768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, bill937ca said:

Not sure why it has red lights.

It has a Shell logo on the door. So it looks to me like a mobile refueller. At a guess the red lights are for visibility if they're working at the side of the road.

Cheers,

Mark.

1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

More design fodder for Joe!

jeff

I was thinking that. But I didn't want to disturb his thread.