Jump to content

Prototype for everything (scenic edition)


Recommended Posts

Now you would not want to run into a pile of trash, what a mess! Figure it’s so no one could try to park in there in front of that heavily secured door with all the angry looking labels on it?

 

jeff

Link to comment

That is just total awesome sauce! One of the reasons I love to model japan. While there are plenty of entertaining roadside attractions here in the us, you never have them right at the road and a foot from a power line! Also in town I’m sure there would be tons of local pushback even if all variances were met to do something fun like these.
 

What’s the business in the google maps one? Love the smaller one coming out of the small window. Ok this is getting stuck into a module!

 

thanks!

 

jeff

Link to comment
4 hours ago, cteno4 said:

What’s the business in the google maps one? Love the smaller one coming out of the small window. Ok this is getting stuck into a module!

 

A paediatrician practice.

 

Come to think of it, I'm sure I saw yet another giraffe recently when I was out cycling, but was too tired to bother stopping and taking a photo.

Link to comment

I’d expect like most optical effects there are better and worse perspectives, but I remember with the cat one I watched a half dozen youtubes from different angles and was amazed how well it worked and especially as these sorts of things don’t quite translate to being videoed all that well.

 

jeff

  • Like 2
Link to comment

If you say stand in the street below, and look up, the effect is lost. But you wouldn't normally do that - it's actually quite brilliant positioning and the effect works very well from the set of angles it's normally visible from (which is mainly the "plaza" outside the east exit of Shinjuku Station).

 

shinjuku-cat-2021-12-17.thumb.jpg.61d6c81786bd442d7591394531fb73d1.jpg

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 3
Link to comment

And as I was going past just now, here's what it looks like looking up from the street below:

 

shinjuku-cat-2021-12-21.thumb.jpg.0d973f37734d49b9af0ac49aa2c27fcc.jpg

 

Bonus pic:

 

shinjuku-screen-2021-12-21.thumb.jpg.2b2fd4f63319ab8140d295c5a4c2bbbc.jpg

 

Not all ads are 3D. Also I noticed today it does occasionally run ads exactly in sync with the neighbouring, venerable Studio Alta screen.

 

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 6
Link to comment
On 12/21/2021 at 4:56 PM, Kamome said:

Pretty impressive. I assume @Madsing can quickly rustle some up for us to add to our n scale buildings.

I am actually thinking about that, but that's not an easy project.

1. We need a "corner" display. Either a flexible AMOLED as discussed lately on another thread, or two flat displays with a bezel thin enough to be almost invisible.

2. The video(s) displayed on the one or two screen(s) is a rendering of a 3D scene based on the expected viewpoint of the audience. I see in my mind how to do that but I don't know if there is any easily available commercial software actually able to do it.

3. Assuming that we get the whole setup working, we have to choose a viewpoint, the only point from which the 3D effect will look right. If we choose somewhere at "ground level" (as the prototype), the effect will not look right for "us" watching our layout from above. As @railsquid mentioned, in Shinjuku, the viewpoint has been cleverly selected.

 

Marc

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Marc,

 

it would be grand project! My fear is this could be one of those visual effects that just doesn’t scale down well. Even doing everything properly it may only look right with the eyeball like 6” from the screen (close to what the prototype distances is at 1:1). Also visual effects like this usually play a lot off our mind’s eye reaction and visual memory. Many not be the same cues on a scale model to do that effect right. But would be wild to see what could be done! I’d bet that even if it didn’t have a huge visual 3D effect, that anyone who has seen the videos of the prototype will see a lot more 3D in their minds eye!

 

jeff

Link to comment

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I agree with you. I keep this project in mind for now, but I am not going to start anything. I have so many other things to do anyway!

Marc

 

Link to comment
9 hours ago, Madsing said:

3. Assuming that we get the whole setup working, we have to choose a viewpoint, the only point from which the 3D effect will look right. If we choose somewhere at "ground level" (as the prototype), the effect will not look right for "us" watching our layout from above. As @railsquid mentioned, in Shinjuku, the viewpoint has been cleverly selected.

 

Simple - just place a small camera at ground level at the correct viewing angle ;).

 

Seriously though, it seems like the kind of thing which would make for an interesting self-contained diorama.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, railsquid said:

Seriously though, it seems like the kind of thing which would make for an interesting self-contained diorama.

Yes, correct.

That may be something Cityscape Studio would do. I follow them on Twitter and watch all their videos. They are really good!

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Before the cat, there was the wave in Seoul. This one is mesmerizing. Not quite the same "coming out of the screen" 3D, but still really nice in its own way.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 12/21/2021 at 8:10 AM, railsquid said:

If you say stand in the street below, and look up, the effect is lost. But you wouldn't normally do that - it's actually quite brilliant positioning and the effect works very well from the set of angles it's normally visible from (which is mainly the "plaza" outside the east exit of Shinjuku Station).

 

shinjuku-cat-2021-12-17.thumb.jpg.61d6c81786bd442d7591394531fb73d1.jpg

 

Meanwhile the view from the cat's point of view:

 

 

(you can even hear the cat "talking" every now and again)

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 3
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...