What did you run today?

lighthouse

Ran the Genbi Shinkansen, some Boso peninsula JR trains, 485 red express and a few others as well

comp1.jpg

comp2.jpg

comp3.jpg

Edited by 072hawk
  • Like 4
Tony Galiani

Finally sort of retired and finding some time to do layout work.  I have been back and forth on what to build so I set up some of my Unitrack in a small oval to run some trains and get an idea of what I might like to do.  This led to a very quick reminder of the issues around the No. 4 Kato turnouts and the variability of the different pieces of rolling stock with some running smoothly and some not and some having no issues with the turnouts and some refusing to negotiate them.  While the turnouts need to be fine tuned, I think the various trains need attention as well.  For example, my MicroAce DD-16s - one ran noisily but was able to manage the turnouts in both directions while the other ran smoothly but could not manage the diverging route on the turnouts.  So my thinking is to build a small portable layout that I can scenic and also run trains to break them in and fine tune them.

Here is a shot of this morning's action:  JR East mode, Ou Line.

(Earlier this year, I saw a DD-16 from the Shinkansen as we were on our way to Hokkaido.  Turns out JR East is operating the last DD-16 in service.  At least according to Wikipedia. So, of course, I somehow managed to end up with two of them.)

Cheers,

Tony

IMG_0125.jpeg

Edited by Tony Galiani
forgot to include the photo initially
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Tony Galiani said:

Finally sort of retired and finding some time to do layout work

Woo hoooo! Congrats tony!

jeff

• Like 1
Tony Galiani

Ran some more trains today on my Unitrack test bed.  First up were some JR East / Tohoku region KiHas.  That Tomix KiHa 40 is a particularly sweet runner.

Then some Tomix Kiha 02s which I had gotten for my Chihiro Tetsudo project.  They don't run particularly well though I think they need serious wheel cleaning.  I had used them at a small exhibition a few years ago and, as best I can remember, they ran okay considering how light they are.

Finally my Green Max JR West / Hakubi Line Series 115.  Another nice runner if not quite as good at that Tomix unit.

For some time, between work and music I never got the chance to do this so enjoying the opportunity.  I am sorting out my stock by region - some will likely have to go as I am guilty of a few too many random purchases - and I have a friend who can put them on eBay - while the majority will, hopefully, be running on my planned layout.

Heavy music schedule the next few days but definitely planning on a lot more running time this weekend.

Cheers,

Tony

IMG_0127.jpeg

IMG_0128.jpeg

• Like 4

Like Tony, I finally found some time to run a few trains at home - the last time I did so appears to have been in March this year, eek! Part of the reason this has happened is, I suspect, because I don't have a semipermanent setup and don't appreciate having to put everything together and then break it all down at session's end. Something tells me I'll need to find space to do something about that.

Anyway, I ran mostly JNR/JR stuff today including quite a bit of stuff that came back with me from my trip to Japan this year. Plus some Chichibu Railway stuff for good measure.

IMG_8926.thumb.JPG.38893aa6637c6a5e5915a78d500c63b0.JPG

All ten of my MicroAce KiHa 07 diesel railcars and variants thereof together for a family photo. From left, KiHa 07 0 (A2285, Hobbysearch), KiHa 07 200 (A2288, Hobbyland Pochi Nagoya), KiHa 42600 (A2281, Mandarake Hakata) and KiHa 42500 (A2280, Hobbyland Pochi Nagoya again). Got 'em all, I'm happy with that!

IMG_8927.thumb.JPG.3fa82b757f4d072c2fb5ddcf22ebe0c2.JPG

Doubleheaded DeKi 300's on a ten-car limestone train, because why not? For extra shenanigans I could have slapped my DeKi 500 on the front, but I completely forgot about that until the limestone train was packed away. Now I need another ten wagons to bulk it up to prototype length, preferably the A2086 set as they've got different numbers to those in the A2077 set I already have.

IMG_8928.thumb.JPG.f1adade66dc6dfe200438bb6236a3b56.JPG

My Hokkaido D51 was paired up with the coaches from my Tomix Soya Line local train set, and they look good together. I was kinda on the fence about getting another standard Hokkaido D51, but now I think I'd like one or two more. Plus one of the Giesl-ejector fitted ones too when they release. No plans yet for another Tomix C55 though, lovely as they are.

IMG_8929.thumb.JPG.8068f178623f8edc865ba62c32dde8ac.JPG

Final round of JNR-era stuff, C59 123 got unleashed with a short passenger train while ED17 12 had a short freight behind it. This C59, my second, came from Hobbyland Pochi in Kyoto and runs reasonably well, notwithstanding the fact that I had to replace the bridge wires on the engine-tender drawbar! Rather than replace it with a factory-fresh drawbar when Kato eventually reruns the C59, I think I'll leave it as is given its good performance. The ED17 itself is also a good runner, very glad to have this one. And did I mention that I love boxy, early electric locomotives?

I also ran some more modern stuff and some Rhaetian Railway stuff, but I'll post separately about the former tomorrow. Hmm, modern stuff... still need those MicroAce KiHa 31's for the Hisatsu Line memories. Despite both my buddy Mason and I saying we would be getting them, neither of us has. Yet. I wonder how his layout's coming along?

Alastair

• Like 3