Painted or Wrapped Trains in Special Liveries

Krackel Hopper

another thomas! actually looks interesting with the more subdued middle cars (with just the little arcs and name) and the bright ones on the end. wonder if it was just going to be too expensive to do the whole 4 cars?

jeff

Edited by cteno4
Davo Dentetsu

Not sure how it goes, but I imagine anything that gets the train noticed (oh look, they only did such and such instead of all of it) is doing it's job correctly!  Clever when you think about it. :D

You are spot on, in some ways breaking it up some draws more attention to it. at times having a while giant painted train may get a bit overwhelming on the viewer and they actually may end up tuning out some and details not going into long term memory. you spot the first car looks different than the usual so you really pay attention to it, then the middle subtle cars go thru and then the last different one gives a second chance to look and maybe focus in on something that caught your attention on the first. very clever!

we get this all the time in exhibit design. you need resting points for the visitor (both visually and physically) as well as good sized groupings of content so they dont get overwhelmed in a sea of material. This is tough as there is usually the pressure to keep cramming in more and more and bigger is better thoughts, but this just leads to the visitor getting overloaded and they shut down. while they may come out impressed with the massiveness of your presentation they dont remember much and that defeats the purpose of doing the exhibit...

so good designs usually have some good negative space to let the view rest the eyes just like a good floor plans for public spaces allow flow but have nice places for folks to easily get out of the flow and the well placed benches or chairs can be game changers!

jeff

Except there are two Universal Studios 201s. It will cost you twice as much.

Hi Bill - Do you mean that there are 2 models, as in the Harry Porter one and the other Seasame Street one? Luckily for me i'm not really a Harry Porter fan so i'll miss on that... But it is still a 10-car train set right? Nevertheless it's gonna cost a bomb..

Thomas train! While i don't dislike it, i feel it looks kinda 'over-done' in the scene it's totally cartoon-nated... I prefered the previous Tomytec one: http://www.tomytec.co.jp/diocolle/lineup/tetsudou/2set_03.html where there were more of Thomas's friends~ And like Densha said, it is kinda wierd having two normal livery in between two fully painted ones...

They are nice. The squid is my favorite, gotta love a squid train! all three are powered to boot.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Nice of you to remember Densha!

Yes i do have, which i bought off Yahoo Auction at about 8000yen.. But all lights are working so i can assume it's in a better condition than this one...

Just wanna share with others here that might want to have this set.. It's quite a nice set, with each carriage having a motor by itself... It's like buying 3 painted trains altogether!  

Hi Bill - Do you mean that there are 2 models, as in the Harry Porter one and the other Seasame Street one? Luckily for me i'm not really a Harry Porter fan so i'll miss on that... But it is still a 10-car train set right? Nevertheless it's gonna cost a bomb..

Yes. Here they are side by side.   http://www.tetsudo.com/event/7568/picture/7882/

Kobe Electric Railway Happy Train. It looks like painted trains are becoming painted cars.  Are royalty rights becoming too dear?

Edited by bill937ca

Well little bits in the center cars. Actually like the two end cars with the bigger splash and the more sedate center cars.

Jeff

This will probably freak-out our some of our Euro members.   :)   Can you say loud?

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

Nice videos Bill! I love the train! Thanks!

Sorry but i don't get the part: Euro members freaking out'?

I can't say i like the 115 series, but I love the design ad overall colour scheme... Perhaps it'll look really really good on a 209 or 231 series? There's a wine store type on the last car, some restaurant types on the 2nd car (orange) and 2 types of cafe type livery... Very nice, especially with the 'canopy' painting above each train door...

Anyone knows if any manufacturer did this train? Seems like it just began actual journeys on 8th July, so i reckon it will take sometime before any manufactorer actually got the license to produce. But i'm loving the livery and colour and it's slowly becoming on my wish list!

I goggled and discovered more information, but it's in Japanese: http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2137325946698051301

Car 1 - お好み焼 - Probably a Okonomiyaki, not sure i know what's that. Takoyaki yes, sukiyaki yes, nikkuyaki yes, Terayaki yes but Okonomiyaki? Sounds like a Teppanyaki of some sort

Car 2 - スイーツ - Sweets? Perhaps some sweets shops in Hiroshima?

Car 3 - ラーメン - Ramen! Who doesn't love Ramen? I love the door!

Car 4 - 酒蔵 - Definately a wine/ sakae store/ yard of sort..

Poisoned...

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

It should be here any day now! Jeff

You mean the model for the まんぷく宝しま号 115 series, or that the Enonkun-skip Modemo NT133 that you ordered is coming soon?

Martijn Meerts
Also, the Modemo NT133 Enonkun-skip go Enoshima tram is finally out after so many months of re-scheduling release... http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10188527

It looks great! If it wasn't a Tram, i would have gotten it...

My tram is already on the way, probably eager to join the other 4 SKIP GO's I already have :)

Also, seems the Seibu Series 3000 Galaxy Express 999 train is finally coming out this month as well. Looking forward to seeing that one. Finally almost through my HS pre-orders too, about time =)

Martijn Meerts
Martijn,

yes i fear we both need to enter the same painted train 12 step program...

jeff

I'm already in a 12 step program, which I repeat every year.. 

Step 1: Buy a painted train in January.

Step 2: Buy a painted train in February.

Step 3: Buy a painted train in ....

Step 11: Buy a painted train in November.

Step 12: Buy a painted train in December.

It's a great program, although sometimes difficult to keep up considering they don't release enough painted trains =)

• Like 1

Hi John:

???  U mean the Evangelion train is already released John? I haven't see the release yet and it's already out on ebay? Wow!

I'm not too sure about the trams, but i'm thinking since it's a Tomytec, it should be just printed and not wrapping type, since i've yet to see any Tomytec wrapping type, but i may be wrong..   

The seller is calling it a 'pre-order' item, so my guess is he has a set number of these coming in, and he is trying to see if he can move any over the 'Bay (well, he has moved at least one!  :)