Buying on Impulse

Bernard

Whilst searching on ebay for some tomix coaches, I somehow ended up with a Rilakkuma bath towel! ???

dmustu - Now that's what I call an Impulse buy! Aren't you glad you weren't looking for a Kato Shinkansen, you might have ended up buying an Audi.  :grin

Impulse purchase - An impulse purchase or impulse buy is an unplanned or otherwise spontaneous purchase.

Whew!! I was beginning to think that was me but based on the definition I'm ok.

I "plan" on buying anything I see that I like, therefore all of "my purchases" are planned.

Inobu   

Inobu,

LOL, great logic, ill have to adopt it!

cheers

jeff

Impulse purchase - An impulse purchase or impulse buy is an unplanned or otherwise spontaneous purchase.

Whew!! I was beginning to think that was me but based on the definition I'm ok.

I "plan" on buying anything I see that I like, therefore all of "my purchases" are planned.

Inobu   

That's how I buy 99% of my things... I always end up buying stuff (I don't really need) for myself when I'm depressed, which is quite often :/

Yeah, that's a definite danger....

Received the train and I love it. Packaging is cool (they should put pictures on it more often). Train is cool (gotta love this typical Japanese design and the different color scheme is a nice addition).  :cool:

Too bad that someone forgot the head on one of the pantographs. Something is baddly missing and with Microace it's going to be impossible to find a spare part.  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:

packaging is an art form in japan! one of my most cherished design/art books is one on japanese packaging design.

Check with your source, dealers can send stuff back to microace for repair and they seem to do a lot of it for free, but it is a pain to get it back to your dealer to get it to ma, then all the way back again. i think ma thinks its easier just to repair stuff there than try and supply and stock spare parts with dealers. they also only think japanese markets and iffy even if they recognize warrantees if send out of japan!

take a look at tomix and kato pantographs, i expect you could find one really close and may never notice the difference... i have had success this way on a couple of ma and modemo pantographs. sometimes means gluing the pantograph down rather than fitting install holes perfectly or a little bending of the feet.

best of luck

jeff

Yeah, I don't think I can stand the idea to ship my train back to Japan for a broken head pantograph. But your idea to check Tomix's and Kato's pantograph is good. I think I allready found a suiter. Looks exactly alike. If this doesn't work, I might attempt to scratch build the head myself.

expect you could transplant just the head successfully (sounds like a bad B horror flick!)

after having a few busted parts i have started to order a few odd items like pantographs, drive shafts, traction tires, even truck sets with every order if i can. this adds nothing to the shipping and most of these items are a couple of dollars. trying to build up a small pile of parts so i can make something work if something breaks w/o having to try to order specific parts later. parts sometimes are in big supply for some things and at other times nothing... i have used kato driveshafts in tomix engines and visa versa! tomix even sells one that is adjustable in length! unfortunately some of the MA drive train stuff is very unique, still groping with making the old dr yellow 922 run better (i am starting to thing re-powering the car maybe easier!)

my latest was three sets of green max diaphragms that look to match those on most microace trains that slip on with a clip from the bottom. these are always falling off an i have lost a few over the years. nice to go back now and fix this. also thinking of trying just the smallest touch of glue to keep them in place now!

cheers

jeff

New variant of the "impulse buy", the "drunken buy".

Gin happened. Apparently I drunk-bid last night (and drunk-posted here)' date=' and I was mighty relieved this morning to find that I'd already been outbid![/quote']

Did that happen to a lot of you?

Never ever? Gee... I don't meet people like you very often.

Back on the topic, since alcohol is a desinhibitor I think buying in impulse under the influence might be a quite common trait.

Oooh. I'm now emptying the Münchshof Bockbeer 4-pack I bought and considering registration at japanauctioncentre.com. (don'tdoitdon'tdoitdon'tdoit) and opt for some DD13 and maybe a railbus of one or two... :sad:

It'sno good going with a few bolttles of beer in the head online and visit yahoo! auctions... So many gems... * must-not-buy! must-not-buy!*