Buying on Impulse

Bernard

I know I'm probably not the only one that does this but do you ever come across an item that you weren't looking for but you see it listed on sale at one of you favorite retailers or on ebay at a low price and you just can't pass it up. That might explain why my latest purchase was a C57 Steam Engine yet my whole layout is based on the modern Japanese RR. I saw it on sale and I just couldn't pass on it. 

Claude_Dreyfus

You are certainly not the only one to fall into that trap!

My Dutch EMU, Ktt set, Japanse H0 Stuff and the complete Kato Morning Daylight set are just some of my impulse buys...well at least the Daylight locomotive was, the carriages came because I had to have something for it to pull  :grin

Well for me, it is the ICE-3 sets from Minitrix and Arnold.  They are both in the shops and only been lightly used.

I am targeting my impulse buy only on a few name brand now...

I just did an impulse buy on a Series 251 add on for $50 usd. Now thats a bargin I could not pass up, hopefully it'll show up next week. I always wanted this particular add on set now it'll be in my greedy little hands soon lol.

I think many of my purchases could be classified as impulse.  I saw it, got to have it.  Is there a plan here?  Well Japanese trams and trains but that's all.  :laugh:

This would be how I came to end up with a Tomix 500 Series Shinkansen, for which I couldn't find any additional coaches!  :laugh:

Problem was, it's the original production rather than the current upgraded one and I wasn't sure if they matched. It turns out that they do, so I'm up to a six car set, two of which are powered.

Well not sure if this is an impulse but I am going to Japan from Nov 18 to 27!

Leo - While you're in Japan I want to see you walk by a Hobby shop that happens to have a TVG in the window at a great price like 30% off and pass on it. That's impossible. :icon_bounce:  :grin

I just resisted and impulse to buy a Odakyu Romance car (B train version)  with 40% off. Yeah!!!

Vincent - You did that's great! Now where did you find this? (I didn't say I could resist it.)  :grin

Leo - So you're bring 2 suitcases with you to Japan. One with cloths and the other is empty but will be full when you leave. :cheesy

Mostly I resisted because I needed to spend my money on more urgent matters, like building sets for my project. And also because Odakyu doesn't fit the Kansai theme I choosed.

Didn't know you where interested in B Trains, here is the link. You will find that is not a very expensive impulse to indulge.

Anyway, in my experience you should never stroll on the close out section of HW if you don't want to buy unexpected trains.

Mostly I resisted because I needed to spend my money on more urgent matters, like building sets for my project. And also because Odakyu doesn't fit the Kansai theme I choosed.

Didn't know you where interested in B Trains, here is the link. You will find that is not a very expensive impulse to indulge.

Anyway, in my experience you should never stroll on the close out section of HW if you don't want to buy unexpected trains.

Well my theme right now is the Shinkansen/Steam Era in Japan. Yep that C57 fits right in with all those Shinkansens on the layout.....Why does the brain go off when you see "40% off!"

I was think of trying a B train, but I resist the temptation.....this time.

Nice theme, large enough not to feel frustrated.  :grin

I do think this Odakyu is a nice train to try out the B trains. Lots of unique features. Must resists again.

For a while there, I wasn't buying on impulse--I was buying at Warp 9. :-P

Right now, it'd take a really good deal on some interesting EMU. But since the weather's getting more comfortable, I'm going to need to start getting scenery supplies again.

One interesting thing about "impulse buys" I finding that a lot of times you need to buy additional pieces to go along with your original purchase. I bought the Naniwa passenger car set now I need an engine to go with it.

So we all know about the famous "impulse buying", but did you know about the "depression buy"? I just did it, I was feeling very low those last days and decided to order a train set to cheer me up... and that worked, now I'm cheerfull and I can't wait to get hold of it.

http://tokyo-rail.com/images/781kei.jpg

http://tetsurou.jp/pic-labo/auA0318.jpg

That works too. I find with me sometimes my brain goes, "Look at the price of that train! How can you pass it up! We know you don't need it but you'll be thinking about all day if you let that train get away!"

I'm glad my brain doesn't feel the same way about automobiles.

Martijn Meerts

So we all know about the famous "impulse buying", but did you know about the "depression buy"? I just did it, I was feeling very low those last days and decided to order a train set to cheer me up... and that worked, now I'm cheerfull and I can't wait to get hold of it.

http://tokyo-rail.com/images/781kei.jpg

http://tetsurou.jp/pic-labo/auA0318.jpg

That's how I buy 99% of my things... I always end up buying stuff (I don't really need) for myself when I'm depressed, which is quite often :/

I must admit i am a victim of "ooh that would be nice" rather than i need this or that most of the time!

hobbyworld's sal shipping also makes it dangerous to put together a package of little goodies now and then so i have a surprise to show up in the mail a couple of weeks later...

i guess im the random type as i dont get folks bday and xmas presents much anymore. instead when i find some thing they would like i just get it and give it to them right then. gets a very big surprise and im not force to try to find something they would really like on schedule.

cheers

jeff

Jeff you have a roster to die for! The Rapi:T and not to mention the Schienenzeppelin, which you got at unbelievable prices! You did alright with you "impulse buying"!

LOL, i guess part of the impulse buying on my part is seeing a good deal! hard to pass up at times!

I have actually backed way off on train buying this year, too many trains to play with now! tobu was the last train i have bought in a while except for some trams! have to work on getting the basement finished to run some trains there, get the new jrm layout going and also get my ttrak moved along! too many projects!

cheers

jeff

remember, the one who dies with the most trains wins (well it was toys, but trains works well too)