Takahachikawa

railsquid

Hey, Squid has his own painted train!

Like I’ve said many times: “Any train with a Cephalopod on it is a good train!”

Cephalopods rule!

jeff

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Meanwhile, no rest for the wicked. The depot staff have been complaining about the lack of surfaced walkways connecting the different areas of the depot, so taking advantage of a lull in traffic the contractors have been busy.

52585766022_4cab1d7cd4_z.jpg

depot-area-2022-12-26_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 5

Right, 5 years on since the last tabula rasa, I will have to dismantle it all due to the A/C unit above the layout needing to be replaced. This has always been a possibility so the dismantling will be largely non-destructive.

Unfortunately this time round I'm not sure if I will get round to reassembling it, as That Virus™ came visiting earlier this year and I am still suffering the after-effects...

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

Though on reflection in the surface of a nice hot bath, I think what I could do is convert it into a dogbone around the available edges of the room, mainly ca. 30cm deep except for the end curves, which would also free up a bit of space in the room, though part of it would have to run behind my work desk.

• Like 3

I like that idea. More realistic appearance with a real sense of journey. You could have central Tokyo at one end and the valleys of Yamanashi at the other end!

Around a foot deep is in my experience about right for a long thin layout. Deep enough for complex trackwork and scenery that isn't just a transect line, shallow enough to be easily portable and restrained in volume. To be honest a shallow layout can actually look more realistic than a deep one, perhaps because it's obviously not a stereotypical train set rectangle.

The only obvious issue is that the up and down lines will be at opposite polarities since they are basically opposite sides of a single track loop. So creating crossovers between them or loops and sidings that connect to both could be tricky. Unless you wire the end curves as reversing loops........

One thing to note with a shallow layout is that you won't be able to get good photos if the track is too close to the edge. I'm adding 10cm here and there to the front now just for that reason. 

• Like 1
railsquid

Scenes of destruction:

52876004217_d995dcff78_z.jpg

takahachikawa-2023-05-07_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

But this is what one end of the dogbone could look like, reusing some of the existing scenic infrastructure:

52876746824_24f27ca0e5_z.jpg

takahachikawa-2023-05-07_02 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

After a bit of consideration I will make the layout 60cm deep along the full-length wall, as the baseboards are 60x90 and that way I will have less to cut.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

My shelf/ dogbone layout is also 60cm deep and can reach everywhere. Obviously the return loops for the shinkansen have to be wider. And I'm adding 10cm at certain locations to enable better photography. I do however have to fit 2x2 tracks and where the diesel line splits 3x2 tracks.

So... first flat woody bit more-or-less fixed in place (part of the brilliant idea is to fix some of the supports to the wall rather than the previous free-standing frame), and good enough excuse to run a train for the first time in yonks, which especially for the occasion is the Kato "Kokuden" unit which was the thing which is responsible for my descent into borderline train hoarder some 9 years ago).

53000291760_fe0cbd02bb_z.jpg

Work-in-progress... by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 6

And the next bit is in place:

53015011035_07503426ff_z.jpg

takahachikawa-2023-07-01_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Not going to win any woodworking prizes, but turned out better than I hoped, and gives me some room to maneuver while I work out how to rearrange everything.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 4

A side-effect of this is that I've been motivated to tidy up the under-layout storage, and have finally organised the Chuo Line full-size bookcases into a single contiguous section (lower part of the shelving units):

bookcase-storage.thumb.jpg.6b825f9eb6c2d049506808b2b622073f.jpg

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Where are the chopsticks?

Some are partly exposed between the centre and right-hand tunnel mouths.

I was thinking to myself as I squid-handled the section back-and-forth twixt layout and workbench that the structure has proven nice and solid.

• Like 3

Ahh I see em! They really are a great material. I have a big box of them (even though we always ask for no chopsticks, they just can’t do take away without chopsticks!) that I use for all sorts of things in the shop, but I need to start using them on train stuff!

jeff

• Like 1

In today's slow march of progress, we stress-test the connecting gradient between lower and upper loops, using British motive power as it usually lacks traction tyres:

53118737103_70ba271fe9_z.jpg

takahachikawa-2023-08-15_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Went better than I thought, apart from the tendency of Dapol coaches to uncouple themselves at the slightest unevenness of track.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, railsquid said:

apart from the tendency of Dapol coaches to uncouple themselves at the slightest unevenness of track.

Makes them good test cars!

jeff