Japanese Music

chadbag

ATShinkansen

I like how the low brass are placed at the front of the formation!  Brings back memories of my high school band years.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Cat said:

The head of the Rose Parade goes to Kyoto to personally invite them to Pasadena!

That’s very cool. I can see them being a big hit at the rose bowl parade! 

7 hours ago, Cat said:

I believe they are nicknamed "the Orange Devils" by other competing marching bands.

Makes sense! Fitting.

7 hours ago, Cat said:

We need Tomytec to make a figure pack for them  — they travel a lot and can appear anywhere.  If the proportion of instruments are good, you can buy as many packs as desired to fill out the ranks.

Oh now that would be a nice scene!

jeff

23 hours ago, Cat said:

Recently randomly started wondering how the Kyoto Tachibana SHS band came out of the pandemic.  They're still going strong!

Currently listening to this while getting started on my taxes:

Love to see other countries do marching bands well!  I've seen videos of this or other marching bands from Japan and they're always impressive.  Brings back memories of my marching band career in high school and as a freshman at BYU (marching at Holiday Bowl and in numerous parades besides the football games).

And a "Go!" to the bass clarinet and baritone sax players marching.  (I do have to say marching tubas are more impressive than Sousaphones but Sousaphones are much more manageable for anyone not built like a football lineman).

• Like 1
16 hours ago, ATShinkansen said:

I like how the low brass are placed at the front of the formation!  Brings back memories of my high school band years.

Yeah I was looking at the order of how they placed the instruments.   I noticed the low brass and ow woodwinds up front too

I think we typically had woodwinds in front as the brass were much louder so would carry out over the band so the woodwinds were put up front so you could hear them.

ATShinkansen
2 hours ago, chadbag said:

(I do have to say marching tubas are more impressive than Sousaphones but Sousaphones are much more manageable for anyone not built like a football lineman).

Believe it or not, but I would prefer to play my concert tuba standing up over the sousaphones I used in high school.  The sousaphones were roughly ten pounds heavier, and only had three valves.

And the marching snare is still in the familiar position.  Nothing like having a machine gun going off next to your ear for the entire duration of the parade!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My grandfather played trombone in the town band and was always so mad at the piccolo player as when things finished up the piccolo player just ran his handkerchief through the piccolo a couple of times and popped it in a very small case hat fit in his jacket pocket and was off in a minute. Grandpa was left there cleaning out the whole trombone for a while and lugging home the large, awkward case… always burned him decades later!

jeff

• Haha 3
On 4/1/2023 at 4:16 PM, ATShinkansen said:

Believe it or not, but I would prefer to play my concert tuba standing up over the sousaphones I used in high school.  The sousaphones were roughly ten pounds heavier, and only had three valves.

And the marching snare is still in the familiar position.  Nothing like having a machine gun going off next to your ear for the entire duration of the parade!

When I was in the BYU marching band, they used marching tubas they put up on their shoulder with the bell facing forward.  In parade formation, with the tubas near the back of the parade formation, I thought it looked like a bunch of jet engines running the band.  They also looked smart on the football field.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/apr/03/ryuichi-sakamoto-obituary

I only read about this today. I'm sorry to hear that he'd died. I first heard his music one night at work, listening to a program on radio 2jj called "Nippi Rock Shop", hosted by Rick Tanaka. I'd never heard anything like it, and was an immediate convert. I'd find it hard to choose one favourite piece of his. His work with YMO, his collaborations with David Sylvian, Roddy Frame and Andy Partridge and others are all dear to me.

Vale, Ryuichi Sakamoto.

• Like 4
SwallowAngel

Since my music library mostly consists of copious amounts of japanese music, I thought I'd share one of my favourite japanese albums: BLU-SWING's 10th Anniversary Album

Beautiful Album really. Best way I can describe it is a fusion of jazz, pop and a hint of 80's. I would highly recommend checking out their other albums and singles if you enjoy this sorta music. 

• Like 3

Currently listening to Hello Kitty (Megumi Hayashibara, the Hello Kitty voice actress ,has been doing other anime voices and songs since the 90s).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Japanese music... where to begin, there's some really good tracks out there on my list. Mostly from the tokusatsu world because that's kind of what I'm into and there are some great opening and insert songs out there.

One of my current favourites, W-G-X ~ W Goes Next ~ from the anime Fuuto PI, the sequel to the tokusatsu series Kamen Rider W. Opening jazz hit into hard-boiled rock... as a new take on the show's original opening W-B-X ~ W-Boiled Extreme ~ it's perfect. Throw in an action sequence as they did in Fuuto PI episode 3, and it hits even harder.

Another from the Kamen Rider franchise, Trust・Last by Kumi Koda and Shonan no Kaze - the OP song for Kamen Rider Geats, the current generation of the franchise. I picked the CD for this one up from Mandarake in Akihabara... rock with an air of mystery, a great little fire up number.

To wrap up, here's one of my all time favourites, an orchestral rendition of Godiego's Galaxy Express 999 from the movie of the same name. Not quite Kyoto Tachibana, but it's fun all the same. This song has to be one of the best songs to cover and give it a unique flavour while remaining true to the original song - I've heard at least three covers from Cupitron, Exile and the D4DJ franchise and all but Exile had to reference 999 itself in some way during their song.

Edited by ED75-775
  • Like 2
On 6/11/2023 at 11:58 AM, Cat said:

Currently listening to Hello Kitty (Megumi Hayashibara, the Hello Kitty voice actress ,has been doing other anime voices and songs since the 90s).

I didn't know Megumi H was the Hello Kitty voice actress in Japanese.  She is my favorite, being the voice actress for the female Ranma (Ranma 1/2), Lime (Saber Marionette J and the other SM versions), Lina Inverse (Slayers) and many many other classic anime.  She also has several albums of her own of music that are very good.

ETA:  here is a better version (an official one):  

(the original one I posted:)

She sings this (and I use this song is my ring tone for my wife on my phone...)

Edited by chadbag
Removed video from quote
  • Like 3

Oh too good may have to do that for my wife as well! I had tried Goji roars for text notices but it was way too disruptive!

jeff

• Like 1

My text tone is a Bruce Lee battle cry. 

It can be disruptive, but always gets a smile, and I always know that's my phone going off.
: 3

Ringtone for friends is just an instrumental version of Moonlight Densetsu.

Edited by Cat
ATShinkansen

So, I managed to get sucked into the world of Vocaloids!  I found a few that would be appropriate for this forum:

This one’s entirely train-themed:

This one has a train right at the beginning:

But this is the song I can’t get out of my head recently:

And its live version…

• Like 3
Yugamu Tsuki

I played a few of the Miku games on consols was was happily surprised by the Taisho era x train theme for some of the levels. For more or less fan made songs a lot of they are very catchy.

Man they have wayyyy too much fun! Nice stuff. 

wonder what the folks in the surrounding rooms thought was going on!

thanks,

jeff

• Like 1