chadbag

Japanese Music

Cat

In 1963, this song topped the charts around the world.  In the US, it was released under the name "Sukiyaki" and made the Billboard Top 100.  I only just discovered that it has nothing to do with sukiyaki, or with any type of food at all.  It is a great song though; and even better now knowing what it's about:

Edited by Cat
  • Like 2

cteno4

ahh something from childhood! not heard that in decades! interesting to know about the title love how culture is mauled to suit the local language.

growing up in the SF bay area in the 60s we had all sorts of stuff on the radio and probably more pirate stations than real ones! i use to have my old portable am radio in bed and just tune into little stations with weird music and go to sleep with them and mom would come in later and turn off the radio. tolerant parents...

but then again the independent tv station had speed racer, ultraman, kimba the white lion, marine boy, astro boy, etc, and of course gozilla movies.

thanks,

jeff

Cat
1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

ahh something from childhood! not heard that in decades!

Ditto that.  Thanks to great college radio stations around here, Lost & Found program on WMBR, MIT's station, played it today.

Tony Galiani

If anyone is into Jazz and Fusion, check out Senri Yamaguchi.  She is young (born in 1997, started playing drums at age 5) but is incredibly skilled.  I have her Triangle DVD and the technical ability on display with that trio (with Phillipe Saisse on keyboards and Armand Sabal-Lecco on bass) is outstanding.  Though what I mostly enjoy about her is the shear joy she exhibits while playing.

Tony Galiani

• Like 2

cteno4

Wow she really rocks! You are spot on she really exudes joy while playing. Many drummers just end up in a wild frenzie, eyes closed and hair flying. Love how she will glance over at a drum and grin then follow with a fun combo to that set, like he was seeing it happen before doing it. Thought the cymbal companies must love her then noticed this video from zildjian

cherrs

jeff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sascha

Found this very interesting band.

cteno4

Is there a loader here?

is there a crybaby here? 

ya big baby! 

interesting going to listen to some more, death metal sounds more interesting in Japanese!

jeff

MichiK
11 hours ago, Sascha said:

Found this very interesting band.

Me too - their 30th aniversary album arrived just the other week! 🤩

Two more particularily recomendable recomendations: Shinagawa Shinjuu

And the (more or less) traditional Neko ja Neko ja

• Like 1

cteno4

Yep that thought crossed my mind! He is sort of Frankenstein in some of his YouTube interviews!

cheers

jeff