serenityFan - Discussion thread

disturbman

Now, you see. "Don't take any pictures with your mobile phone!" should have been one of the guidelines.  :grin

Glad that both of you are making progress. Because I'm not. I wish I could but I just can't locate the building material (foam, cork and/or styrene) I need. I can't even score blue foam boards in places like "home depot" here. I must have missed something.

I know the feeling, I can't find any blue foam board anywhere here either. Same for those pink/blue insulation foam boards that everyone seems to be using, can't find it. In the end I just use those different thick boards and foam core which I can find at a local art shop.

I am now looking at this way: the hunt for materials is part of the modelling experience. Good luck...  :grin

That's one thing we have in the USA, Home Depot or Lowe's, huge Hardware stores that cater to contractors. There is always a supply of insulation foam and lumber. I wonder if it has a lot to do with the area of the world that you live in. There might be some areas that insulation foam wouldn't be necessary.

What are you using on top of the platforms, I like the detail it adds.

I found some... but very expensive in a artist/hobby supply shop. No luck so far in the hardware stores. Strange since I've seen plenty of blue foam laying around construction sites.

I found some... but very expensive in a artist/hobby supply shop. No luck so far in the hardware stores. Strange since I've seen plenty of blue foam laying around construction sites.

Next time stop and ask for off-cuts. Lots get thrown away, most builders I know would be happy to let you have some. Besides, if you don't ask, you will never know!

Andy, just  had a look at your in-progress thread. I'm really impressed with your tram terminus. And the fact that you're inspired by the Toyama tramway is no bad thing either.

All the best,

Mark.

Enjoy the vacation, we'll miss you though!

The layout is starting to look real busy with activity, everything is coming together.

How do you like the Greenmax catenary poles? I have some Kato poles which I'm going to use on my diorama and had problems weathering them because the plastic that Kato uses doesn't adhere to paint. (I've discussed this in another thread.)

I like the Greenmax buildings you've added, and you're right not to set them in place until you find a pattern you like. Do you plan to put lights in the buildings?

The project looks great.

Have a good time in NZ.

It's really starting to shape up!  :cool:

Still, I'm wondering if taller buildings (like 4/5 storey high) will not have a better effect on the perceived scenery. I mean, you have a very high wall behind the module and higher building will make the trains on the embankment disappear and reappear behind them. No need to have much them, one or two could be enough. That was just a quick thought.

Andy, just  had a look at your in-progress thread. I'm really impressed with your tram terminus. And the fact that you're inspired by the Toyama tramway is no bad thing either.

All the best,

Mark.

Thanks Mark, can't wait to see what you will come up with on your module ...  :grin :grin

Enjoy the vacation, we'll miss you though!

The layout is starting to look real busy with activity, everything is coming together.

How do you like the Greenmax catenary poles? I have some Kato poles which I'm going to use on my diorama and had problems weathering them because the plastic that Kato uses doesn't adhere to paint. (I've discussed this in another thread.)

I like the Greenmax buildings you've added, and you're right not to set them in place until you find a pattern you like. Do you plan to put lights in the buildings?

The project looks great.

The greenmax catenary poles are quite OK, I washed the sprue and tried 1 with and another one without primer. After 2 coats of grey tamiya paint, can't tell the difference between the two. Maybe it's just a pole, so you can't really see the advantage of using primers. On the one without primer, after the first coat you can still see the plastic bits, however a second coat pretty much covers everything.

And the buildings are actually Tomytec buildings, my greenmax buildings are still un-assembled in their original box  :grin

Have a good time in NZ.

It's really starting to shape up!  :cool:

Still, I'm wondering if taller buildings (like 4/5 storey high) will not have a better effect on the perceived scenery. I mean, you have a very high wall behind the module and higher building will make the trains on the embankment disappear and reappear behind them. No need to have much them, one or two could be enough. That was just a quick thought.

Will definitely try different buildings later on, including taller ones. And also will definitely try install lights. However probably this will happen after the party ... for now I just want to try to make the module "look" complete :grin

Maybe it's just a pole, so you can't really see the advantage of using primers. On the one without primer, after the first coat you can still see the plastic bits, however a second coat pretty much covers everything.

I don't know why but I find this very funny!  :grin With two coats of paints, the first one oftenly plays the role of primer.

I don't know why but I find this very funny!  :grin With two coats of paints, the first one oftenly plays the role of primer.

I remember you said something about this on the other thread ... actually even with the primer, I still need another 2 coats of paint to get a satisfying results.  :grin

What ballast are you using and how do you like it? Your results look great!

I use WS ballast and I learn through trial and error that it tends to float if too much glue gets on it. To stop this I take a mist spray of alcohol over the ballast then with dropper apply the glue. The alcohol breaks the surface tension.

The alcohol breaks the surface tension.

One can also use soap for this. *serenityfan used another kind of base chemical for this* Smells much nicer :) Be careful though not to use too much, otherwise unwanted foam will pop up occasionally.

The alcohol breaks the surface tension.

One can also use soap for this. *serenityfan used another kind of base chemical for this* Smells much nicer :) Be careful though not to use too much, otherwise unwanted foam will pop up occasionally.

Right. I forgot I add 3 drops of dish soap to the diluted mixture of white glue. The alcohol wets the ballasts and then lets the glue soak through.

I am using Noch Ballast Brown HO/TT scale ... because: 1. that's the only one that I already have and 2. I've actually read on one of the Japanese blogs that although using HO scale ballast is not prototypical size-wise, it may actually look better to the eye... however since I have never used N scale ballast, I cannot say which one I think looks better.

So far the I'm quite pleased with the results. When I checked this morning, the glue has set in.

There are some 'bald' patches though which I missed yesterday, so i may need to add some ballast at several spots later ...

And I did get some foam/bubbles when I used the dropper to apply the glue, which I managed to gently blow away as soon as they appeared. So far so good ...  :grin

Serenity - I was dondering, did you ballast the Finetracks too?

No, I did the ballast only on the flex track... the plan is for the finetrack section to be covered by concrete (like tram tracks on the road). Haven't decided yet on the how  :cheesy

Serenity - I was dondering, did you ballast the Finetracks too?

No, I did the ballast only on the flex track... the plan is for the finetrack section to be covered by concrete (like tram tracks on the road). Haven't decided yet on the how  :cheesy

Let me know on the "how" too, that's what I'm trying to figure out on my other project.  :grin

CaptOblivious

The ballasting and trees both look good, although the plaza around the platform looks sadly empty. Maybe more street vendors would help, and a little landscaping (benches, shrubberies, lamps etc, to make the space more inviting)

The flex track you are using appears to have tie sizing and spacing that is a good match for Japanese narrow gauge. What brand is it? Peco?

Uh... stupid question...where are you all seeing the pictures?  ???  They're not in the posts, right, cause other than  a couple of photos of the tram station, I can't see all the other work that you guys are talking about.  :grin

Thanks!  I found it!  Great work Serenity! I'm inspired by the weathering you did on your tack, and your tram station is amazing!  Looking forward to following this more closely (now that I can find the photos all of you were talking about!).  :-)

Thanks Quinn...

However the whole module needs a lot more details...

So is there a kato or greenmax kit which has lanscaping details, like benches/plant boxes/water fountains maybe?

I've got some street lamps (need to paint and install them hopefully by this weekend).