Jump to content
gavino200

People’s Republic of China N Scale trains

Recommended Posts

Kamome
Posted (edited)

It could possibly be a thing. Kunter bullet trains were being stocked in Poppondetta stores so their product may have been well received in Japan. In the UK, Gaugemaster put together British N gauge starter sets with Kato Unitrack and Dapol rolling stock. I don’t think there was any official partnership between the 2 manufacturers so could be a distributor putting this together. The Gaugemaster set boxes weren’t as terrible looking as this though. It does look like a bootleg.

Edited by Kamome

Share this post


Link to post
Yavianice
On 4/1/2020 at 9:08 PM, gavino200 said:

Cons

 

1. The couplers are a bit problematic. The couplers on the original 3-car set are without a spring mechanism and are very loose. The add-on set has couplers with a spring mechanism. The old couplers work ok together when you run the original 3 cars together. The new couplers are quite a bit better and smoother. But the two don't work very well together. It's not the link itself, but that they allow different amounts of play and jostling. I found I could only stop the full train from derailing by running it with the original motor unit coupled to one of the cabs. The motor unit from the add-on can be placed anywhere with no problems.


apparently Kunter got a lot of comments about that, and are now re-releasing the CRH380 base set with springs for the couplers.

 

that will teach us being early adopters.

 

it will be released in June.

 

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10697916

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
katoftw

Be good it they released the improvement parts also to upgrade the verson 1 sets.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Yavianice
37 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Be good it they released the improvement parts also to upgrade the verson 1 sets.


I dunno. Maybe EZtranscom will do that? Maybe @gavino200 can ask since I think he bought his there?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
8 hours ago, Yavianice said:


I dunno. Maybe EZtranscom will do that? Maybe @gavino200 can ask since I think he bought his there?

 

Email sent. But it might be an idea to as Nariichi from modeltrains plus. I noticed that he sold the train too (after I had already ordered it). 

 

I see these are on sale at Taobao, but I'd have to study both of my package inserts to find out if these are the new or the old couplers. 

 

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.60.12ab69a7YqB7QH&id=613965914598&ns=1&abbucket=2#detail

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Yavianice
Posted (edited)

Hey @gavino200,

 

I found out that you won't be able to exchange the couplers because the couplers are attached to a little nipple inside the body with the spring. The original CRH380-AL does not have that nipple, so nowhere to attach the spring between the coupler and the chassis.

 

But, I ran my CRH380-AL a few test rounds on my track, and didn't get a derailment. Under what circumstances does yours derail? Can you perhaps try to remove the spring from the couplers of the cars that are coupled to the base set, maybe that works? Because the couplers are pretty much identical between sets. I should point out that I did couple the motorcars together. Because I always get derailments when motorcars are not coupled together, with any brand (TOMIX and KATO).

Edited by Yavianice
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

Hmm wonder if gluing in some very thin round styrene stock to the back of the coupler pocket and nipping it off would make the nipple needed to pop a spring in there for a retrofit.

 

jeff

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
3 hours ago, Yavianice said:

Hey @gavino200,

 

I found out that you won't be able to exchange the couplers because the couplers are attached to a little nipple inside the body with the spring. The original CRH380-AL does not have that nipple, so nowhere to attach the spring between the coupler and the chassis.

 

Thanks that's good information.

 

3 hours ago, Yavianice said:

 

But, I ran my CRH380-AL a few test rounds on my track, and didn't get a derailment.

 

I'm delighted that yours is working well for you. 

 

3 hours ago, Yavianice said:

Under what circumstances does yours derail?

 

I had some improvised double viaduct track that every other train I have can handle. It was derailing there. I bought new track and now the train runs much better. It doesn't consistently derail anymore, though it does still look jumpy and unsmooth where the two types couple. 

 

I found that it does still derail a bit more often than I'd like. It may take five or ten minutes but, it does derail and has to be watched all the time. Even apart from the derailing, I'm not happy with how unsmooth the movement is. 

 

3 hours ago, Yavianice said:

Can you perhaps try to remove the spring from the couplers of the cars that are coupled to the base set, maybe that works?

 

One of these days I'll take them both apart and look. I haven't done this yet as I'm still re-organizing my stuff after a move. I'd rather not de-spring one of the new set cars, as they work really well. 

 

3 hours ago, Yavianice said:

 

Because the couplers are pretty much identical between sets. I should point out that I did couple the motorcars together. Because I always get derailments when motorcars are not coupled together, with any brand (TOMIX and KATO).

 

I did that at first before buying the new track. The main problem now seems to be between the cab car and the next car. That's if I remember correctly. It's been a few weeks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
3 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Hmm wonder if gluing in some very thin round styrene stock to the back of the coupler pocket and nipping it off would make the nipple needed to pop a spring in there for a retrofit.

 

jeff

 

I'll take a look and consider this. But if it doesn't look like a slam dunk. I may just sell the original 3 car set and muy a re-release 3 car set. 

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
Posted (edited)

I see the new version is for sale on Hobby Search. It's actually called "improved version". This bugs me a little. 

 

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10697916

 

I think I'll put mine on ebay and buy this if it sells. 

Edited by gavino200

Share this post


Link to post
chadbag

If you have a hard time selling the old one, you can always buy the new version, and keep the old one in the yard as a static train 🙂

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
5 hours ago, chadbag said:

If you have a hard time selling the old one, you can always buy the new version, and keep the old one in the yard as a static train 🙂

 

 

It's only three cars. It would look pretty silly. 

Share this post


Link to post
chadbag
49 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

 

It's only three cars. It would look pretty silly. 

 

I guess you need to buy another add-on set as well.  Since it is static "in yard" only the problem does not matter 🙂

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Yavianice
On 5/28/2020 at 5:19 AM, gavino200 said:

I see the new version is for sale on Hobby Search. It's actually called "improved version". This bugs me a little. 

 

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10697916

 

I think I'll put mine on ebay and buy this if it sells. 

 

I linked it before in a post in which I tagged you, that's what started this tangent about couplers in the first place 😀

 

Anyway, seems you are not the only one with that idea. Because Hobbysearch has closed their reservations for the improved item.

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
1 hour ago, Yavianice said:

 

I linked it before in a post in which I tagged you, that's what started this tangent about couplers in the first place 😀

 

Anyway, seems you are not the only one with that idea. Because Hobbysearch has closed their reservations for the improved item.

 

Ah, I assumed you got the information from browsing obscure brochures and facebook posts like usual. 

 

It's not a bother. It'll still be available on TaoBao

 

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
On 5/29/2020 at 7:40 PM, Yavianice said:

 

I linked it before in a post in which I tagged you, that's what started this tangent about couplers in the first place 😀

 

Anyway, seems you are not the only one with that idea. Because Hobbysearch has closed their reservations for the improved item.

 

They're taking orders again. I reserved one. I'm sure they'd be cheaper on Taobao but I don't want the headache of making sure I get the right set. My crappy HSK2 Chinese isn't up to the task. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Nozomi329
On 5/1/2020 at 7:36 PM, roadstar_na6 said:

Very interesting...Still doubting whether this is a real set or PS work...I have never seen this in China, not even on Taobao.

And in case this is real...does it come with 110V or 220V power pack? There is mandarin on the left half of the package but Japanese on other half, which makes its target market ambiguous. However TOMY had a lot of Japanese toy trains in China without Chinese package so it's not that surprising.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200

Just received my "improved" CRH starter set. I'll write a little review when I set up a track. 😊

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
serotta1972

Hobby Search has all the new Kunter Passenger Cars both individual and sets. Oh no, why did I find this - this will make it easier to buy. 🙂

 

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/1711/0/1

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Yavianice

Too bad they don't also sell the loco's.

Share this post


Link to post
serotta1972

Yeah, I know. I went and looked right away if the Locos were also available.

Share this post


Link to post
AhmadKane

I bought a Kunter CRH from Lazada. I was a bit suspect, I bought it for 66 dollars and I wonder whether its real or not. If it's fake and cancelled, at least Lazada will get my cash back. 

 

I also saw an OEM CMR Line that cost about 28 dollars. https://www.lazada.co.id/products/cmr-line-hxd1c-rangka-lokomotif-elektrik-kereta-listrik-1c-model-penjualan-spot-i2304826223-s4366776729.html?spm=a2o4j.seller.list.268.3fd69917araqzC&mp=1

 

I'm tempted to try, but I don't know whether OEM was a motorized train or not. Lazada is a bit suspect, but I haven't been saddened by them yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
2 minutes ago, AhmadKane said:

I bought a Kunter CRH from Lazada. I was a bit suspect, I bought it for 66 dollars and I wonder whether its real or not. If it's fake and cancelled, at least Lazada will get my cash back. 

 

I also saw an OEM CMR Line that cost about 28 dollars. https://www.lazada.co.id/products/cmr-line-hxd1c-rangka-lokomotif-elektrik-kereta-listrik-1c-model-penjualan-spot-i2304826223-s4366776729.html?spm=a2o4j.seller.list.268.3fd69917araqzC&mp=1

 

I'm tempted to try, but I don't know whether OEM was a motorized train or not. Lazada is a bit suspect, but I haven't been saddened by them yet. 

 

Those look pretty cool. That price does seem suspiciously low. They're a lot more on Taobao.

 

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.96.69a25415lCgzD3&id=598416052243&ns=1&abbucket=14#detail

 

You're aware those are HO, right?

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...