My very first Shinkansen!

grumbeast

Congrats on your first Shinkasen, I remember my first Shinkasen like it was yesterday.

I also remember my first Shinkansen but not like yesterday, was Christmas 1978, one HO scale Lima 0 key, it's a toy like but still in my collection, whit some scratches, one broken panto, one car yellowed ....and still run!!!

(it's like a virus.... if you start you can't stop ;-)

Congrats to you, I don't have Shinkansen yet, that is my dream one, in personal collections most are Japanese fright car and one "Doraemon Train set", may be this X'mas have some money to buy one : )

I would like to announce that I will be soon having a second Shinkansen coming to my fleet in the shape of a Tomix JR700 Hikari Railstar Shinkansen operated by JR West :grin. I will post a video of it here when it arrives!

I run DCC in OO/HO gauge but for N gauge I stick with standard DC 12v as I hear that the Tomix models can be a pig to convert to DCC. While I am on the subject of DCC, I would love a HO scale model of a JR700 Nozomi Shinkansen with a DCC-fitted LokSound decoder as a full 16 car set as I already own 2 British Class 60's which have sound in them by ESU LokSound :grin.

Cheers

Ash

Martijn Meerts

I run DCC in OO/HO gauge but for N gauge I stick with standard DC 12v as I hear that the Tomix models can be a pig to convert to DCC.

From my current experience, I can say that Tomix is no worse to convert to DCC than the other brands. Some Kato might be a bit easier due to drop-in decoders/DCC-friendly, but overall the model designs very similar.

I haven't installed that many decoders yet, mainly because I don't have a layout to run them on, but I do have:

- Tomix Kiha01

- Tomix DD51

- Tomix Dr. Yellow

- Tomix EF65

- Kato C57-180

- Kato M250

With the exception of the EF65, they all have a Lenz Gold Mini decoder. The EF65 has a Selectrix/DCC decoder. I've also installed Selectrix/DCC decoders in a MicroAce DD16 and a MicroAce Kiro59 (fish lips train) with success.

The only problem case has been a Tomix EF510 which has seen 2 fried decoders and now a busted motor. I installed a Selectrix/DCC decoder in that one. However, that one ran on my father's layout, which at the time the decoders got fried had a wiring problem which caused shorts. 2 or 3 other locomotives (minitrix and fleischmann with factory installed decoders) had their decoders fried then as well.

On a side note, the motor in the M250 (and the surrounding metal frame) get REALLY hot quite fast. After maybe half an hour of (continous) driving with the motor car only, the container that covers the frame was very warm. I took off the container and checked the frame itself, and it was actually hot enough to be VERY uncomfortable. Will need to look into that, although I'm not looking forward to taking the M250 apart =)

le_monkey - Welcome to the forum and that's a nice start to a collection of Japanese model trains.

Bernard 

Thanks for worm Welcome, I just got my railroad job this year April, so far still working hard on it. my city is about 30" x 72", got 1 roundhouse, 1 small airport, dual track.............

"The Construction still going, Sorry for inconvenience" :grin

one day my daughter say to my wife, "Mom, we got new kid at home".

My Japanese layout project that I am going to build will be on a 6ft by 4ft MDF baseboard as I am intend having a dual continuous loop which will be the Kato elevated Viaduct track with the Viaduct Station for the Shinkansen's and other High Speed Trains and the lower loop will have sidings and a station for the local and freight trains and this layout will be based in the Kansai Area near Osaka, although the track and city will be fictional :grin.

le_monkey & EWS - Why don't you both start your own threads in Personal Projects about your layouts?

Members love to see how layouts develop. Take a look at some of the layouts that are being

built now.