My very first Shinkansen!

grumbeast

Well,  I popped over the LHS this PM to pickup my eBay win.

and here she is.. older I know, 2nd hand. sure, but my first :)  runs well (although the power car pickups need a clean to keep the lights constant)

excuse the company, but the Thalys and the VT601 are also rather nice (I hope the purists forgive me but hey its a start!!)

and please forgive the lousy pictures.. basement, at night, no decent lighting and the very first pics with our new lightweight travel camera (I use a Canon 50D normally, but I wanted to try this new thing a Sanyo Xacti

Graham

post-181-13569922964957_thumb.jpg

post-181-13569922965229_thumb.jpg

post-181-13569922965561_thumb.jpg

Congrats too, how does it run?

As for the Thalys, one of the members here to2Leo also collects them, you can take a look and see them in Personal Projects, Ecosys is coming out.

She runs pretty well Bernard.  Not quite as quietly or smoothly as the Thalys, but pretty well, good slow speed and a very nice mid rangewith no stuttering at all.

Actually.. I think I'm going to go down to the basement and run her around a few times!

Graham

Actually.. I think I'm going to go down to the basement and run her around a few times!

Graham

See you in about 5 hours!  :grin

Alpine.

The train on the right is a German VT601 v11.5 diesel hydraulic trainset that was used on the Trans Europ Express

in the 50s and 60s, so a bit of a contemporary of the Series0

A nice little video of one at (comparative) speed can be found at

I have this real problem with trains, I just seem to like them all! so while I'm now building a japanese layout, I'm sure there'll be the odd visitor from Europe, the UK and North America :)

Vive la heresy!

Graham

Graham, don't feel ashamed. You have friends here. Like Scott who has exactly the same train as you in the person of the Baureihe 601. In fact he also has the same problem as you... he loves every type of train, when they are electric. Sometimes I have the feeling that this forum is not about making layouts and/or running trains but just about buying them. :grin

And the TGV Thalys PBKA is a beauty. I really would like to have the same... but in the new livery scheme.

he loves every type of train, when they are electric. Sometimes I have the feeling that this forum is not about making layouts and/or running trains but just about buying them. :grin

Hey, I resemble that remark!

(Actually, I've spent far more time building, unbuilding, and rebuilding the layout lately than anything else, and I'm making a real effort to buy fewer trains.  :grin )

( and I'm making a real effort to buy fewer trains.  :grin )

He's even joined Trains Anonymous...and he's been "off the wagon" now for a whole 27 min. :grin

I bought my first Shinkansen in N gauge back in February 2007 which is a JR100 Sanyo/Tokaido Shinkansen 4-car set by Tomix. I am planning on extending it to a full set which I think its either 12 or 16 cars. At the moment its the only Shinkansen I own, but I am after the JR700 Hikari Railstar and the JR700 Dr Yellow which both are by Tomix. Also I will be getting a Kato JR700 16-car Nozomi Set as well when funds permit. Well congratulations on getting your first Shikansen train there buddy. If you take requests, could you post us a video of your trains in operation?

EWS - Take a look at the MircoAce Dr. Yellow. Martijn has it and has posted some photos of it. He gives it high marks.

Martijn Meerts

Not sure I got around to posting pictures of the MicroAce Dr. Yellow, but yes, it is an amazing looking train and runs great as well. It's a 7 car set with a rather special one in the middle (track measurement car I believe), and based on the 0 series rather than the 700 series (which the Tomix is based on).

I actually have the Tomix Dr. Yellow as well, but purely for looks, the MicroAce one is far ahead.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out before I decide which one to get first although I will probably land up with both eventually :icon_thumright:.

He's even joined Trains Anonymous...and he's been "off the wagon" now for a whole 27 min. :grin

Hey--it's been weeks since I bought an actual train!

(Just don't ask about--magazines, books, buildings, track, accessories.....  :grin )

Graham, don't feel ashamed. You have friends here. Like Scott who has exactly the same train as you in the person of the Baureihe 601. In fact he also has the same problem as you... he loves every type of train, when they are electric. Sometimes I have the feeling that this forum is not about making layouts and/or running trains but just about buying them. :grin

And the TGV Thalys PBKA is a beauty. I really would like to have the same... but in the new livery scheme.

It's extremely common for Japanese train buff to model and fan non-Japanese trains. Overall, it's more like International modelers. Most of the JRM members do Japanese and German, except Philip who is an Aussie who does Aussie trains.

The first high speed train and first international train I fell in love with was the original SNCF TGV. I also like the ICE-2 as well.

It does seem that there is an international flavour which is fine by me!  I'll have to take some pics and video of some of my more international trains until I get some more Japanese stuff running :)

EWS I'll try and post some video's when I can, I did try with my new camera but I have to upgrade my quicktime so I can convert the mp4's it produces to something youtube likes.

trolling through this forum has been dangerously addictive, I now find I'm falling in love with many of the limited express trains too (I think I need to sell a major organ so I can buy a sunrise express!).  Seriously, before any more trains I need some more track.  I've just scored a kato viaduct station cheaper than I could find to import, and my track plan has gone all to hell!

btw EWS, you're avatar was taken in Newport?  I grew up 7 miles from there and used to cycle there as a young trainspotter!

Graham

The first high speed train and first international train I fell in love with was the original SNCF TGV. I also like the ICE-2 as well.

You mean the "orange" one? I've so many memories of them. It was put in revenue when I was born. I took it countless times to go to my grandparents. I'm a tad sad SNCF repainted the whole fleet to the "Atlantic" color scheme. In fact the "oranges" are going to be replaced in the coming years.

It does seem that there is an international flavour which is fine by me!  I'll have to take some pics and video of some of my more international trains until I get some more Japanese stuff running :)

EWS I'll try and post some video's when I can, I did try with my new camera but I have to upgrade my quicktime so I can convert the mp4's it produces to something youtube likes.

trolling through this forum has been dangerously addictive, I now find I'm falling in love with many of the limited express trains too (I think I need to sell a major organ so I can buy a sunrise express!).  Seriously, before any more trains I need some more track.  I've just scored a kato viaduct station cheaper than I could find to import, and my track plan has gone all to hell!

btw EWS, you're avatar was taken in Newport?  I grew up 7 miles from there and used to cycle there as a young trainspotter!

Graham

Hi Graham,

Thanks for that regarding the videos mate. The avatar pic was taken around November 2005 when the locomotive was freshly repainted into EWS livery from the old Loadhaul Orange/Black livery back in that year, although the locomotive is now stored up at Toton Traction Depot and has been stored there since it had a failure back in 2007 :sad:.

Cheers

Ash

As promised, my first albeit extremely poor quality video.

the camera is new, the light is low and the layout, well isn't, just some trakc laid to run while I try and work out what on earth my track plan is going to be like.

There is als a (very dark) contrasting train right at the end

Graham

That video was alright mate :grin, nice selection and the quality is much better than some I've seen on YouTube that were filmed with a cameraphone.

I have no excuse though.. (apart from the fact that I work for my wife in the evening and could only get 20 minutes off!)

as my wife's an animator and we've shot documentaries and stop motion animation together with good equipment so I know how to light and shoot!

Future video's will be better!

G.