Hobby Search

bill937ca

"We are on holiday from August 12 to August 16 (Japan time, GMT+9).

We will not ship orders or answer emails during this time. "

They can't be doing too bad if they can afford to close up shop and have a long weekend off.

There are three holidays when the whole country shuts down and it is common to go home.  Those are Obon in August, Golden Week in April/May and New Years.  All dealers shutdown at these times.  Obon is the most religious of the holidays. As far as I know the post office is closed so there is no shipping anyways.

I'd hate to see HS go. I have a pretty good relationship with a few of the folks there in the company I have had to work with in the past. A few of them of course are now gone. I order about 95% of my supplies from HS, however with the economy sucking carp, and the fact my income is down 85% from where it was prior to bpS relocating to China two years ago, if HS were to go HWJ route and serve domestic market only, it would make a decent impact on the market I think. R10's ordering and website leave much to be desired. I suppose if you have a lot o free time to play peck and hunt for an item R10 is great, but I don't have that much time. I have had back luck with my orders from PJ in the past, and MBK while in my backyard has a limited selection. I have not had the time to try and place an order from Bob yet, and he hasn't really give me a reason to switch from HS.

wouldn't worry about it they are not going away anytime soon you can tell by the amount of sales they make.

I recon our forum users would only make up about 20% if that of their intl customer base.

• Like 1

I noticed the Bargain page back up.  Unfortunately there's only a dozen or so items and nothing I really want ... and have I mentioned the problem with my budget?

Cheers

The_Ghan

I noticed the Bargain page back up.  Unfortunately there's only a dozen or so items and nothing I really want ... and have I mentioned the problem with my budget?

Cheers

The_Ghan

still that 8 car osaka loopline looks tempting http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10057665

rode that about 100 times

only once

Angus

post-35-13569928675403_thumb.jpg

just noticed today that HS discount is now down to no discount for any released sankei items. preorders are at 10% off. bummer, last i checked it was at 5% off...

good news is that hobby link japan is carrying a lot of the sankei kits now and is giving 20% off.

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?rel=nav&GenreCode=Boo&MacroType=PapCra&Scale=150

finally picked up the ohnda shop!

their stock seems to have been hit hard in he last 2-3 weeks since i last ordered, hopefully if this stuff is moving they will keep their stock up. the great thing is they do let you backorder and will hold an order for 2 months to wait for it all to come in and ship as one if you want. the are good at getting some of the odder things out there. HLJ is an excellent vendor, fast shipping and good packaging at a reasonable price sal or ems. they have most of all the train stuff at 20%. usually a good assortment of tomytec, all 20% off except for the new refinery stuff, for some reason its all at list price. They have definitely increased their stock in japanese n scale stuff, but no trains except some tomytec mechanisms. still a nice alternative that seems to want to keep the 20% discount going. other interesting stuff there as well.

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?Scale=150&Maker1=TMT&Dis=2&GenreCode=rld&searchpage=rld&DisplayMode=images&qid=684734X5065WCVPZ&set=1&Sort=std+desc

cheers

jeff

And the shipping should be cheaper too as HLJ uses flatter book containers for Sankei items.

you would think so, but the bottom price for hlj sal shipping seems to be 480yen.

you can ship two larger sankei kits via hs for 380 yen sal... HS is nice in doing the min 380yen sal shipping for small stuff.

that being said i got a nice box of several larger sankei kits and a couple of larger tomytec boxes for a total of 780Y sal which was very reasonable.

the bummer of HLJ is that they dont give you a total on the shipping when you order. you can see the base shipping price for shipping any one thing, but they dont auto total it like hs does and gives you a cost before you order.

cheers

jeff

very ironic we were talking about HLJ and they just posted a sale this afternoon! perhaps they follow jns!

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?SaleGroup=SALERLD&header=trainsale0911&utm_source=HobbyLink+Japan+Newsletter&utm_campaign=7f63f1ed40-Sales_Chimp_Railroad_09_11_2011&utm_medium=email

some good stuff and the tomytec refinery items at 30% off retail.

jeff

HLJ has had railroad sales before. I've picked up some B-Train Shorties at a steep discount.  Most of the stuff has been out a year or more.

cool, yes time to stock up on the heavy stuff like magazines, train cases, and an aoshima parking structure or apartment building!

Exactly what I was thinking - parking structure!!

I just looked at the HS calendar and Monday the 19th and Friday the 23rd are Japanese holidays.  I don't recall there being a model train newsletter on Friday.  :sad:

i didnt get one friday as well...

parking structure is usually 2080 yen to ship sal!

i think most train cases are usually about 1000yen or so to ship sal when they cost only 1200-1600 yen, so the last half price shipping was a big boon for me!

jeff

I believe it starts tomorrow ... and I don't think it applies to items already ordered.  I think its only for items that are ordered and paid for (using PayPal) during that period.

Cheers

The_Ghan

It's started.  And The_Ghan is correct that it doesn't apply to reservations, only to in-stock items:

"All confirmed orders for "Already Released" items during the period of 21st

Sept 0:00AM ~ 30th Sept 23:59PM are subject to this promotion.

Reservation items are NOT subjected to this promotion.

Both SAL Small Packet and EMS will be half price."