Tomix 6415 wheel cleaning track

miyakoji

OOhhh this looks interesting. I had no idea how the thing worked. Thanks for the video! I guess I would need to buy one to test it out physically... It's quite tiring and difficult to find a really useful wheel cleaner. I have a Tsugawa manual wheel cleaner but it doesn't work that perfectly...

Martijn Meerts

I have a couple of those tracks, they work okay, but they don't reach every part of the wheels. They don't replace a good manual wheel cleaning, but if you run trains through one every now and then, it definitely increases the time between manual cleaning sessions.

Just, always use the white pads, not the grey ones. The grey ones are rather rough, and they actually can mess up the wheels.

• Like 1

OOhhh this looks interesting. I had no idea how the thing worked. Thanks for the video! I guess I would need to buy one to test it out physically... It's quite tiring and difficult to find a really useful wheel cleaner. I have a Tsugawa manual wheel cleaner but it doesn't work that perfectly...

There is nothing better than a sheet of toilet paper soaked in isopropyl alcohol and laid over the tracks. Messy but works wonders.

I have one of these wheel cleaners. It's quite an old one (10+ years) and the cleaning pads work from side to side. It's good but it's definitively better used in a layout context, installed somewhere hidden and used just to keep the rolling stock cleaner during use.

Cheers NB

yes the rag or paper towel works great in my experience and is very fast to do! even do it with running loco. only issue with running locos on the rag is wearing on the traction tires.

one of our club members had one i think it was the previous tomix one maybe and its seemed to work so-so. like Natablaulol said the paper towel was about as fast and easy...

ive used qtips, fingernail and toothpicks on rags, fiberglass contact cleaners etc to clean wheels manually. these new little pointy applicators look to be great as they are very dense and seem to hold up well with isopropanol. seem to be the best combo for direct wheel cleaning as well as around motor contact, etc where you need to get into a tight space.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281816689958?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

cheers

jeff

at 3 cents each you can buy a huge bundle of them and keep her happy dolling out a few at a time like they are precious to you! just dont let her find out how much they really cost!

my ebay browsing history is about half beauty, makeup, nails, jewelry stuff as there are so many handy little bits to be found there for modeling tools and stuff!

they are just the right shape to clean wheels with and the pointy ones are great for cleaning motor contacts and brushes

i put a review up in the tool shed forum

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/11004-cleaning-wands/

jeff