EF65 1124 in Twilight Express livery

miyakoji

Want another EF65, but would like some variety? JR West comes through with EF65 1124, now in Twilight Express colors for the "Special Twilight Express" services operating around Kansai and Chugoku.  The 1000 subseries of the EF65 was built from 1969 to 1979, and totaled 139 locomotives.  As you can see, these have gangway doors; prior variants did not and would have really looked like an EF81.  Ah well :).  The image in the Tetsudou News article is at Shimonoseki Depot.  No YT video yet as far as I can tell.

http://railf.jp/news/2015/11/13/150000.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JNR_Class_EF65

SuRoNeFu 25-501

WHAT!? It seems that JR West is at "it" again (well, what I mean is JR West has done another surprise for many railfans in Japan, especially for those that loved JNR-era electric locomotives) :confused5:

And the marker light (a.k.a tail light in another term) lenses are changed from the standard ones to those that used by Hiroshima Division's EMUs. It's really unbelievable :confused5: :confused5: :read2:

EDIT: by the way, EF65-1124's older sister (EF65-1107, owned by JR East's Tabata Depot) has been scrapped at Nagano some days ago. For me, it is something like a mixture of both happy and sad news that came on same month :confused5:

(another) EDIT: EF65-1124 is actually one of JR West's unique locomotive in its career history, bearing the fact that it was allocated to Shimonoseki depot right from brand new condition (1970s) up until today (does not having records of re-allocation to other depot), which means that this locomotive is a "familiar" scene of Shimonoseki depot... :read2:

Edited by SuRoNeFu 25-501
  • Like 1

EF65-1124 in its original livery and condition for comparison. Picture taken at Takatori (Kobe Freight Terminal) three years ago. :)

And EF65-1107 at Tabata Shingojo only last year and looking in good condition considering it apparently has been scrapped 12 months later.  :icon_scratch:

post-265-0-98929900-1447519376_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-86924200-1447519663_thumb.jpg

Edited by yakumo381
  • Like 1

And the marker light (a.k.a tail light in another term) lenses are changed from the standard ones to those that used by Hiroshima Division's EMUs. It's really unbelievable :confused5: :confused5: :read2:

Good call, I knew something other than the paint was different but I couldn't quite figure out what.

EF65-1124 is actually one of JR West's unique locomotive in its career history, bearing the fact that it was allocated to Shimonoseki depot right from brand new condition (1970s) up until today (does not having records of re-allocation to other depot), which means that this locomotive is a "familiar" scene of Shimonoseki depot... :read2:

Interesting. I remembered looking up info on the EF65 1000s before, but I couldn't remember why. I think it was for this post: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/8030-the-too-pretty-locomotive-guide/

EF65-1124 in its original livery and condition for comparison. Picture taken at Takatori (Kobe Freight Terminal) three years ago. :)

And EF65-1107 at Tabata Shingojo only last year and looking in good condition considering it apparently has been scrapped 12 months later.  :icon_scratch:

Great pics. I was always a fan of the 4-track section of the Sanyo Line.

Wouldn't mind a model of this...

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Well, too shame that it was scrapped right one year after the photograph was taken...

It has pulled the Twilight before in old colours.

Yeah, it did, but combination of JNR Limited Express livery (the colloquial name of livery that used by DC-only electric locomotives being assigned to Blue Train services) and Twilight Express livery is somehow a bit "off". So JR West decided to repaint EF65-1124 into Twilight Express livery to match with the coaches.

Slightly off topic: when EF65-1124 returns to mainline services, this locomotive can be referred as "2nd-generation Twilight Express Engine" (2代目トワイライトエクスプレス機関車), as the Tsuruga-based EF81 locomotives were the first one to carry Twilight Express livery, being referred as "1st-generation Twilight Express Engine" (初代トワイライトエクスプレス機関車).

SuRoNeFu 25-501

The green looks very fresh (indeed, it was only some days after finished its routine overhaul :toothy12: ), and the pantograph is still in very bright silver color :read2:

Hatabu Workshops has done very perfect and awesome repaint job on this loco :read2:

Edited by SuRoNeFu 25-501

If I decide to repaint a Kato 3061-1 EF65 as this new livery, where can I find the JR marking decal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How? How did I miss this? *Shakes head in disbelief*

If I decide to repaint a Kato 3061-1 EF65 as this new livery, where can I find the JR marking decal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They come up on Yahoo Auction Japan once in a while. They get expensive though...

EDIT: Fixed typo.

Edited by EF65 1100