Nankai Rapi:t 50000 series Star Wars livery

I agree with jappomania. They could have done so much better on this design. Now it's just an inspirationless wrapping without much interaction with the body design. It could as well have been placed on a regular commuter EMU. Nankai has many recent good wrappings, like the 'Gundam' & 'Peach Air' 50000 Series Rap:it and 'Yōkai Watch' & new Ltd. Express 'Kōya' designs for the 10000 and 30000 Series.

In relation to this Star Wars hype, the ANA R2D2 airplane has gotten a much better job in regard to design interaction:

cover_r2.png

Uninspired sticker design... But hey it's Disney! Wonder if this will get modeled or Disney will want a huge chunk for the merchandizing as this ain't advertising it's toy sales and the two greatest movie toy merchandisers are now merged!

Jeff

Luckily i'm not a huge fan of Star Wars nor the Nankai Rapi:t... I do think the Gundam one would have more attraction to me being a gundam fan and all....

It would have been much more creative if they could have sort of done a flowing cape going down the first car very subtly to just let the mind turn the front into the mask with the cape flowing behind. But that ain't disney's style these days, now they can only muster cutouts out at best. Sad coming from such a creative beginning...

Then they could have played a few seconds of the evil darth March music as the trains pulled into the stations, that would really perk things up!

Jeff

• Like 1

I'm actually a little surprised why JR West didn't do a Star Wars them to one of their 700 Series Hikari Rail Star trainsets.

Martijn Meerts

It looks really nice in black, but the overal train seems a bit cheaply done. Like they had some leftover stickers they placed at random spots on the thing.

Yep, sort of feels like that old wall that would get movie and concert posters slapped on it... Too bad they could have gotten so creative with it. Alas since it's probably going to be the only Star Wars train ever done if it does become a model I may have to buy it unless Disney doubles the price for the license... Could not give them the satisfaction. Disney seems to becoming the Walmart of entertainment. Even ex employees are bringing the Disney way to other far reaching institutions, it's sooo sad to see, it's Orwellian.

Jeff

Hello,

I really like the Star Wars Nankai Rapit 50000.  I think a lot of effort has gone into the repainting of the vehicles, especially the way the light sabers appear to be glowing.  I also think Nankai has embraced Star Wars.  I think it would rank as one of the most popular so-called painted trains.  So, I am curious to know what your expectations are with regard to "creativity"?

Hmm... Boring as expected. I think the previous posts already pretty much summed it up.

In regards to the light sabers lighting up: this is not hard to do, as it is pretty much a 'hue' of the colour of the sabre/source around a white region. Quite a simple photoshop trick.

Davo Dentetsu

Blimey, we're a hard to please bunch!  I think it's a most fitting train to pop such a scheme on and I just wonder if they did slap a few more bits and pieces on, would we not complain it was a bit overdone?  :P

• Like 1

Sorry Ochanomizu san, while the star wars livery isn't exactly that bad, but I didn't like the Nankai Rap:t in the first place so... Maybe if it was on another train like the E259 perhaps things would be different...

In my humble opinion, the winner of the best painted train still goes to:

40b97bf526065bbf37601647609bf4cf.jpg

Sorry, a combination of 2 of my favourites, the Evangelion and the 500 series, is just too much for me to bear....

Sorry Ochanomizu san, while the star wars livery isn't exactly that bad, but I didn't like the Nankai Rap:t in the first place so... Maybe if it was on another train like the E259 perhaps things would be different...

Sorry, a combination of 2 of my favourites, the Evangelion and the 500 series, is just too much for me to bear....

+1.

Blimey, we're a hard to please bunch!  I think it's a most fitting train to pop such a scheme on and I just wonder if they did slap a few more bits and pieces on, would we not complain it was a bit overdone?   :P

I have no complaints as I say meh to all painted trains (unless decorated with acquatic creatures).

• Like 1

Hello,

I cannot fault the 500 evo colour scheme.  I like it very much, but I also like Nankai's efforts with the Star Wars train.  Let's compare it to the ones from America, Australia, England, Germany and Hungary ... wha? ... no? ... They didn't do a Star Wars train? ... geez ... too bad!

OK, so let's compare it with the JRE, Odakyu, Hankyu and Kintetsu versions ... wha? ... no? ... really? ... they didn't do a Star Wars train either? ... geez ... that's really too bad ...

So, I guess all the credit goes to Nankai!  Banzai!  Banzai!  Banzai!

Hello,

I feel much better now, thank you !

Edited by Ochanomizu
  • Like 1

To each his/her own. It still is a bad design in my opinion, which could have been done better.

All the credit indeed to Nankai, as they probably riled in quite a bunch of financial profits from this. I also don't see how this should be compared to other companies though and how this is relevant.

Davo Dentetsu

Well, you're not wrong there either.  Love them both.  :)